Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 10:33 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
If we can do it, then you can. I know people who have driven straight through to Florida in one day but they are crazy.
I did that once - never again. Hit the pike at 4 AM and pulled into Flagler Beach at 10 PM.

My son and I drove Boston to San Francisco this summer. We did about 750 miles a day. We could have done more but it was nice to get off the road by 5 PM and enjoy dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 11:38 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I did that once - never again. Hit the pike at 4 AM and pulled into Flagler Beach at 10 PM.

My son and I drove Boston to San Francisco this summer. We did about 750 miles a day. We could have done more but it was nice to get off the road by 5 PM and enjoy dinner.

Yeah if I'm not under some kind of a time crunch, I'm generally the same. Why not make the ride somewhat relaxing/enjoyable? I also try to stop every 3 hours or so, and at least stretch my legs. So many people on the road are inattentive, unaware, and driving unsafely in general. Because they can't follow those basic rules of the road.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:40 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
I honestly take the scenic route and go down 84 to 684 to 287 hop over the Tappan Zee and right down the GSP till I hit the Jersey turnpike. Then I take the turnpike to the Wilmington bridge and then take Rt 1 to Rt 13 through the Eastern shore of Maryland and Virginia. Once I hit Virginia Beach I take 58 over to 95 and then head south. It’s longer mileage wise and time wise , But I prefer to avoid as much as the traffic congestion as I can. Plus I’m generally not in a hurry so taking my time isn’t a big deal.

Ugh I hate Rte. 13. With all the stop and go, I'd rather chance the DC area.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:46 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboucher33 View Post
My wife and I will be driving from Western MA to Charleston, SC. We are leaving on a Saturday so we are wondering if it just best to take 95 the entire way or is there a better way you guys recommend? I obviously don't want to sit in traffic in NYC, DC, etc. so do you think driving on a Saturday will be fine or should we avoid 95 all together? Thanks guys!
95 is the most direct, but frequently is a nightmare. We just came down to GA from MA and I’m sorry, I don’t remember the exact route, but we went to Pennsylvania and then jogged over to 95 in Richmond VA. This was further in miles, but faster in real time.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:23 PM

730 posts, read 1,314,387 times
We used to go to Myrtle Beach SC every winter for 3 months. Took the following route, and truly never sat in traffic:

Leave CC, pick up 95 S in RI, through RI and CT to NY exit 21 over the Tap, then 278 to 78 W to 81S then to either 17 to Fredericksburg VA or, if we weren't in a hurry, 64 to Richmond vA, then 95 to SC then 501 to MB

Since we were traveling with 2 cats, we did the trip in 1-1/2 days, but without the cats, it's doable in one very long day.

Old 01-19-2022, 03:38 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
I drive up and down the east coast way too much. I agree with the advice to take the Tappan Zee route -- it is SO much less of a headache. Even without much traffic the GWB can be a PITA and too often the parkways (like the Merritt) in CT have something happen which backs everything up.
Once you're in MD, there isn't much other option other than I-95.

Since we're not yet in beach season, barring snow and ice (which is, of course, always a possibility), I wouldn't think that the drive should be too bad. I do, though, echo the suggestion to use Waze.

We drove back from Savannah on July 4, and it was actually great, as far as traffic goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts