Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 11:56 PM

319 posts, read 504,183 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So I recently became officially a resident of MA and enterprised to
convert my non-MA driver's license, a Real ID, to a MA real ID.

I was curious about something that surprised me.

The feel was $115.00 broken out as

license fee $50
learners permit $50
road test $15

For a grand total of $115.00

What I don't understand is why they charge for learner's permit
and road test when none was given or done? Literally, I just
stood there at the RMV, presented documents, did the eye test,
took a photo, and was issued a temporary paper license in lieu
of the actual one which would be sent in the mail in 10 days.

Isn't it considered fraud to charge for things not done?

Why not just bill it as license fee $115?

There's no recourse because if you don't pay the fee
you don't get your MA license.

Still trying to understand certain Massachusetts-isms

Also, unlike other states, why can't Massachusetts RMV print
out the plastic license cards on the spot. Many other states are doing it
on the spot for Real IDs.

In addition, the paper temporary license they give you
says "NOT VALID FOR IDENTIFICATION" in red prominently across it.

So you are made to surrender your out of state license, they do not
give you your actual license on the spot, and the piece of paper they
give you says NOT VALID FOR IDENTIFICATION.

This is very strange as it leaves you without a means of properly identifying yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 04:39 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
The fee to transfer an out of state license is $115. Why didn't you ask the people at RMV why they break down the charges like that? In this state, the fact that they may waive a given requirement for something doesn't necessarily equate to waiving the fee associated with it. One reason you don't get a license on the spot is because they want it to actually be mailed to the address you claim is yours. Acceptance of the things you will not change about the RMV and this state, is the answer to your problem here.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:02 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Do any states still hand you a license on the spot? My 3 data points in New Hampshire, Vermont, and Massachusetts are that it’s always mailed. You get a temporary paper one. I assumed that was some kind of Federal thing.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:09 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
This is very strange as it leaves you without a means of properly identifying yourself.
You don't have a passport?

Old 02-16-2022, 07:29 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Here's one example of what you're dealing with at RMV: This type of stuff (including examiners who were found to be selling driver's licenses) have been ongoing for years. They will sometimes implement what appear to be strange measures in effort to combat corruption. But it's clearly not enough.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2022/02...-to-try-again/

Old 02-16-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Do any states still hand you a license on the spot? My 3 data points in New Hampshire, Vermont, and Massachusetts are that it’s always mailed. You get a temporary paper one. I assumed that was some kind of Federal thing.
In Delaware and other places they give you the license on the spot.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
You don't have a passport?
My passport recently expired. To be valid, the passport must be active and not expired.

Moreover, not everyone travels so frequently as to need a passport. Also if your
travel is mostly domestic, a real ID is valid for air travel within the US.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
The fee to transfer an out of state license is $115. Why didn't you ask the people at RMV why they break down the charges like that? In this state, the fact that they may waive a given requirement for something doesn't necessarily equate to waiving the fee associated with it. One reason you don't get a license on the spot is because they want it to actually be mailed to the address you claim is yours. Acceptance of the things you will not change about the RMV and this state, is the answer to your problem here.
I felt it would be better to ask people who appear to have been in Massachusetts for a long time.
The RMV clerk didn't know and said that's always been the fee.

Moreover, complaining at the RMV is a fool's errand since the only choice is pay it and get the license allowing you to commute to gainful employment or don't pay it and not get the license.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:08 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
Moreover, complaining at the RMV is a fool's errand since the only choice is pay it and get the license allowing you to commute to gainful employment or don't pay it and not get the license.

That's true. The last time I renewed my license, I went to a local AAA office and it was actually almost a pleasant experience.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:16 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
That's true. The last time I renewed my license, I went to a local AAA office and it was actually almost a pleasant experience.
My experience was even more pleasant. You can renew your license, online, up to 1 yr ahead of your birthday, and get the new license by mail. So I'll essentially get 6 yrs out of my new license! Kudos to MA for making it painless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: