Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,312 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

My family would like to learn Chinese language in person particularly from a teacher from Taiwan. Does anyone know how to find Taiwanese communities in MA? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 02:04 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,777 times
I would use Google.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:58 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
There was once many Taiwanese in Chinatown. These days you will find them in places such as Quincy, Malden, Brookline, and Cambridge. You might want to call the Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center or Chinatown Community Education Center.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:53 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Taiwanese are often inter-dispersed with Mainland Chinese throughout Greater Boston. I am not sure about adult education but the Kwong Kow Chinese School https://www.kwongkowschool.org/ in Chinatown was founded decades ago by Chinese Guomindang supporters and still teaches traditional characters commonly used in Taiwan as opposed to simplified characters used on the Mainland. Their texts might even still have the Zuyin Zimu (National Phonetic Alphabet) affixed to the Chinese chracters, a feature found in Taiwan printed books but not Mainland ones. Kwong Kow primarily teaches children but they might have special adult education courses or can at least point the O.P. in the right direction to where to find suitable adult Chinese courses.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:05 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
I knew a Taiwanese family in Lexington growing up 10/+ years ago. For that and other socioeconomic reasons I’d imagine a good number of Taiwanese to be there.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:12 AM

There are quite a few Chinese in Lex and they have a Chinese school.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:40 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,777 times
OP is asking for Taiwanese which is slightly different from Chinese explained well by Urban Peasant particularly for the purposes of learning the written language. Most Chinese people I've met around here are from the mainland or Hong Kong/Guangdong region.

Old 02-17-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
OP is asking for Taiwanese which is slightly different from Chinese explained well by Urban Peasant particularly for the purposes of learning the written language. Most Chinese people I've met around here are from the mainland or Hong Kong/Guangdong region.
Yes, I get this. I presume most other respondents do as well. Where there are large Chinese populations you will also find, in many cases, Taiwanese. The OP asked for possible communities where those of Taiwanese decent may be living, not a discussion about the nuances between culture or language.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:11 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
If learning Chinese language is the only purpose, it is not necessary to look for a Taiwanese teacher. The official languages of mainland China and Taiwan are both Mandarin Chinese, and the difference is too small for a second language learner to have a strong preference.

(I'm a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese.)

Old 02-25-2022, 02:51 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
If learning Chinese language is the only purpose, it is not necessary to look for a Taiwanese teacher. The official languages of mainland China and Taiwan are both Mandarin Chinese, and the difference is too small for a second language learner to have a strong preference.

(I'm a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese.)
There is a prominent difference in terms of the writing and reading though with traditional characters (Taiwan) vs simplified (China). There are certainly quite a few shared words or symbols, but in my observations, it seems easier going from traditional to simplified rather than the other way around. Traditional is also pretty good for artwork and calligraphy! I'm a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese as well as Taiwanese Hokkien who grew up with traditional characters.

I think an easier way to go about this for the OP would be to look for people who can teach traditional character writing and reading which does not necessarily guarantee Taiwanese, but has a better chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts