Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2022, 09:27 AM

16,294 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Even an isosceles?

probably!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 12:56 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Get out, Geoff! I was convinced you were from VT for some reason but maybe that was because of the UVM connection. You proved me wrong! Interesting—I always thought it was old money, but it sounds like I stand corrected. I have to ask—were you a LANAM Club member?
Nope. I’ve only ever belonged to yacht clubs and ski clubs. My Andover years, I mostly slept there midweek. I was on the boat or at Killington on weekends.

I was a Vermont every winter weekender since I was a kid. I’ve never been a resident. I was born in New Bedford. My summer house is a couple hundred yards from where I walked to first and second grade. Massholian thru & thru.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:36 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,777 times
WSJ op-ed by BU's own Larry Kotlikoff about buying a home today even with a 5% rate is still a good deal since inflation is running high. Of course the financials still need to make sense (manageable mortgage, don't need to move any time soon, maintain employment).

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-home-...pos_2#cxrecs_s

Old 04-18-2022, 01:50 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
That may all be true, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's true for the Greater Boston market. You seem to be heavily invested in pushing the notion that everything Boston real estate is such a great DEAL. Such a deal.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:09 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
That may all be true, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's true for the Greater Boston market. You seem to be heavily invested in pushing the notion that everything Boston real estate is such a great DEAL. Such a deal.
I like Kotlikoff and only shared the link because it's him and I haven't seen discussion here about RE being an inflation hedge.

I think the bear cases are just as valid.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:10 PM

Ah, I see.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:47 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I like Kotlikoff and only shared the link because it's him and I haven't seen discussion here about RE being an inflation hedge.

I think the bear cases are just as valid.
The 2 1/2% 30 year fixed rate mortgage is the inflation hedge. With the rule of 72, after a dozen years of 6% inflation, you’re paying back the mortgage at 50 cents on the dollar.

I came of age with double digit inflation. Fixed rate long term debt is a wonderful thing.

Old 04-18-2022, 03:25 PM

842 posts, read 551,351 times
Quote:
Demographics change over time and places may become gentrified but perceptions last. I'm sorry but you're never going to find old-money, blue blood types whose families have lived in the area for generations choosing Dedham over places like Andover and Lexington. New people coming from out of state may think differently but that's not the case for people who are from here originally. They have ideas in their head of what historically has been considered exclusive and there is little that will change their minds. A coworker of mine grew up in Andover. Her family has a lot of money and they've lived there for years. She was looking specially at all the fancy towns in the area to raise her young family and ended up choosing Rye, NH. Another college friend grew up in Lexington and her sister now has a home in Lexington to raise her family. My friend was saying even though her brother in law was pushing for up and coming places like Reading and Burlington, her sister refused to live anywhere else because of the prestige of Lexington.
Is Lexington still considered a place of old money?
1/3 population are Asians and obviously many are new immigrants.
It’s definitely an affluent town but I don’t feel it is particularly “blue blood”.

Old 04-18-2022, 03:29 PM

Lexington was never a place of "old money." It's an upscale town that evolved from a farming community. Over the last 50 years or so it has been home to upper middle class and moderately wealthy people connected to places like Harvard/MIT and to the 128 Tech belt (scientists/engineers), as well as physicians, judges, architects, lawyers etc. That's not to say that nobody with old money ever lived there, but that's not the fabric of the town.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:45 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:
We’re just saying Dedham isn’t considered an exclusive town by most OG Mass people
This is the thing. A town doesn’t have to be exclusive to have million dollar homes. This thread started acting as this home sale in Dedham was insane. It isn’t.

Also, OG Mass people. Are you sure you’re from here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts