Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 10:12 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,070,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
MA has difficult winters. NC has difficult summers.
And golf ball-sized hail and dinner plate-sized spiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2022, 10:32 AM

16,296 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
And golf ball-sized hail and dinner plate-sized spiders.
But do they bite

Old 05-02-2022, 09:24 AM

137 posts, read 149,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I would be among the first to say get out of MA to NC. I got out of MA for SC. Best move I ever made. That said, leaving behind your teacher pension has to be considered. I know SC is really hurting for teachers. There are all kind of open positions here. I know starting salary is $38K but I have no idea if higher with experience.

Housing in SC is reasonable. Below is a listing in Lexington SC which is an upmarket suburb of Columbia SC.
https://www.remax.com/sc/lexington/h...0000559/539763
I would love to know what you love about SC compared to MA. I am really curious, my sister-in-law just told me about a friend of hers who moved to SC and they loved EVERYTHING about it but I did not get any specific info.

Last edited by huff100; 05-02-2022 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-02-2022, 09:29 AM

36 posts, read 16,981 times
I think North Carolina's overall tax rate is second only to Massachusetts. You should feel right at home.

When I was working in Raleigh, a fellow there told me, "You have to remember that around here, most of the people fought in favor of 'Taxation without Representation' ." (Much of the populace were Tories - Pro Britain)

Old 05-02-2022, 10:02 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnibus View Post
I think North Carolina's overall tax rate is second only to Massachusetts. You should feel right at home.

When I was working in Raleigh, a fellow there told me, "You have to remember that around here, most of the people fought in favor of 'Taxation without Representation' ." (Much of the populace were Tories - Pro Britain)
Tax burden by state

Massachusetts is 21st (1st being the highest) and North Carolina is 35th.

The "taxachusetts" moniker is no longer accurate.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:32 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Tax burden by state

Massachusetts is 21st (1st being the highest) and North Carolina is 35th.

The "taxachusetts" moniker is no longer accurate.

And if you're collecting a Massachusetts public sector pension, it's not taxed.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:54 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huff100 View Post
I would love to know what you love about SC compared to MA. I am really curious, my sister-in-law just told me about a friend of hers who moved to SC and they loved EVERYTHING about it but I did not get any specific info.
My primary reason for leaving MA was the weather. I hate the cold/winter. I wanted year round golf. One can get a lot of house is SC for much less money then in MA. Property taxes are low. People are friendly. Easier pace of life. Sissy traffic.

There are things I miss, but they are not important things.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:02 AM

28 posts, read 20,543 times
Winters in MA are not what they once were. We have just a couple of storms per year - I think this year there were 2. They are cleared up pretty fast. The last bad winter was in 2015. There are a few very cold days in January, but winters are not like they are in the midwest. Plus we don't have tornados, hurricanes, fires, earthquakes for the most part. IMO, northeast has some of the best weather in the country and it doesn't damage property.

I have family in NC, and while the areas they live in are nice, right outside of these planned areas - not so good. And while property taxes NOW are good, they are not going to stay that way with retirees moving to that state. People are fooled into thinking it is that much less. You get what you pay for.

Plus can't compete with the culture, the medicine that you get up here.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:13 PM

254 posts, read 256,861 times
If you absolutely hate it here I would consider it. Otherwise, I think It would be a mistake to give up your pension to work part-time in rural North Carolina for much less. Given the state of the world, I’d be concerned with trading in more financially security for a lifestyle change.

I am not from Massachusetts originally and this time of year always gets to me too with the weather. I’d recommend exploring more of New England this summer to make the best of living here. Retire to NC and collect your Mass pension in the future.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:27 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
You do not need to shovel the heat nor buy snow tires. One can sit under a shade tree with a drink in ones hand and not get frost bite. Sweat (in the South we say she "glistens") a bit maybe but no frost bite..;....LOL
I would have loved to have been able to shovel the heat somewhere when I lived in Southeastern North Carolina. We never went to the beach during the summer because it was too hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts