Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 06:51 AM

531 posts, read 431,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Usually Holden is seen better than Grafton. Grafton's got Tufts and better access AND a MBTA stop
Of the 6 districts that border Worcester, Grafton's in the middle (after Wachusett and Shrewsbury, better than Millbury, Auburn, Leicester)

IMHO Holden is the core wachusett town. The high school is close to downtown Holden. Paxton, Rutland, Sterling, and Princeton are the other towns - Rutland and Princeton might be nicer than Holden and Paxton and Sterling might be not as nice. But they are all nice towns and I'm splitting hairs. Princeton is the most rural, then Rutland, then Sterling and Rutland are pretty close, then Holden is the most "urban" (it isn't urban at all, but it does have a much bigger downtown area than the others and fairly dense adjacent to Worcester)

Shrewsbury has a slightly better school, and a little more pressure cooker. Much more Indian too (everyone always asks). Much lower taxes though - because of all the retail on rte 9 and Shrewsbury never says no to development. A lot denser than Holden too. Better access to the rest of the state - there isn't an exit on 190 in Holden, even though 190 goes through the edge of town. Shrewsbury has US-20, rte 9, and two 290 exits.

I like Sutton. It's more rural than the rest even though 146 goes through and there's a big Walmart and the nicer Market 32. Technically, Walmart is in Whitinsville/Northbridge, but if you were to walk behind the building, you'd be in Sutton. Singletary Pond is nice. Really great if you've got to split a Worcester and Providence commute - I was looking there when my wife was commuting to Woonsocket.
Scorpio516,
Thanks so much—I appreciate your very thorough response.

It’s funny you mentioned Holden’s high school being close to the downtown area. My high school was as well so I sort of took the location for granted/assumed that’s just how it is in most places. However, I was thinking about it last night and realized the high school being close to the downtown is more the exception and not the rule in most places (at least near me anyways). I would say it definitely makes things convenient to have them situated near one another. I had a part-time job in high school and could scoot over to the downtown area on foot on the days I had to work.

Last edited by Remy11; 05-28-2022 at 07:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 09:25 AM

23,811 posts, read 18,963,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
cause I said Rutland twice

Really close. Rutland is basically empty, but Sterling on rte 12 isn't as nice as say "downtown" Princeton (which is also basically empty). And the Turkey Hill Pond area is a little nicer than Campground Road and Waushacum Ponds

I know people in Rutland. Nice enough town, but just feels a bit "out there" and not upscale like Sterling or Princeton. Sterling also has much better access to highways for commuting and getting to other stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts