Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 06:06 AM

2 posts, read 7,860 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband is weighing a job offer in Boston, and I am looking for your input. Currently we live on Long Island, which as you may know is extremely expensive. I would like to hear from you whether it is possible to buy a decent home for around 300k or less in a more suburban or rural part of MA, and then commute to Boston (should be within about 50 mins or so of the city, preferably with train access). I have visited MA before but am not that familiar with the Boston area.

Also, from those of you who have experience with the child care situation, I'd love to hear how things are in terms fo public preschool, day care, etc. My kids are 3 and 1. Do any of you use in-home care and are you happy with that?

Any input would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:51 AM

13 posts, read 55,978 times
Default Moving from Long Island to MA

Greetings New Yorker. I am a New Yorker that has been living in Massachusetts for 30 years. When we relocated, my husband and 3 year old son at the time, Massachusetts was a great deal less expensive then New York. Not the case anymore. If you are looking for open space you will need to move at least 50 minutes by car out of Boston. Please be aware though that it will matter which direction you go in because the public transportation system is not as equal in all directions. Also, the home prices have been dropping. If you wish to stay in Boston there are still nice neighborhods, close to public transportation with housing in the range you are looking..Such as Hyde Park close to Milton, Milton is not Boston, Readville and South Dorchester such as Neponset and Lower Mills. Some of the employers in Boston have day care on the premises.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herpnknit View Post
Hello everyone,My husband is weighing a job offer in Boston, and I am looking for your input. Currently we live on Long Island, which as you may know is extremely expensive. I would like to hear from you whether it is possible to buy a decent home for around 300k or less in a more suburban or rural part of MA, and then commute to Boston (should be within about 50 mins or so of the city, preferably with train access). I have visited MA before but am not that familiar with the Boston area.
Any input would be much appreciated!
In that price range, you may be looking towards the end of the South Shore commuter line (towards Plymouth, route 3 South) or the Attleboro line (route 95 south).

You need to open Realtor.com in one window and open Google Maps in the other, and get a good handle on what kinds of houses are available in what areas for the price range. Massachusetts Transit also has a great website and trip planner.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:08 PM

59 posts, read 284,365 times
Default where...

what towns on LI do you like? And why? That may help us find ones in Mass similar to those.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:28 PM

630 posts, read 2,227,061 times
herpnknit - this is interesting since I currently live in MA and am considering a great job opportunity on Long Island. I know the area is expensive, but I'm looking only to rent and the pay difference will cover that issue.

Best wishes to you on your possible relocation to MA.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:15 AM

87 posts, read 361,102 times
HI...I am a native Long Islander (Syosset) and live in Sandwich Ma, on Cape Cod, fifty minutes outside Boston...I am familiar with North and South Shores if that helps you(?)...My husband's office moved to Boston, hence our move here...Where do you live now on LI? Might make a difference where your comfortable with...My friends from NY swear by North Shore (think Andover, MA) etc...but I love the South Shore...either way I have to tell you that even with bad housing market it is just as expensive living here as LI/NY-trust me!!! You cannot get a decent house in 300K range within 50 minutes commuting to Boston (in a house that you would actually want to live in)...I think people in MA are really friendly and Boston is a great city- I like it better then NYC...let me know if I can help at all...and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts