Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 03:40 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I've kind of given up in figuring what school is best to send kids to. My friends daughter goes to Mansfield high and has a 4.9 GPA. She is in AP courses with that kind of GPA, attends school in MA which is supposedly has better public schools most other states. The colleges she's applying to are like St Anselm's and Plymouth state. If those are the schools people with 4.9 GPAs end up going to then I don't know what to say anymore.
I'm confused by your statement because a 4.0 GPA is the highest GPA possible.

Also, when colleges look at a student's file they don't just look at the grades the student achieved. They also look at how rigorous the education is at that school. For example, a 4.0 at Lexington High in MA is going to be looked at much differently than a 4.0 at Fayetteville High East in Fayetteville, AR. The 4.0 in Lexington will be considered a much higher achievement.

Generally speaking, college admissions are FAR more competitive than they have been in the past. Someone who might have gotten into Harvard 10 or 20 years ago would never get in today most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 04:05 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
I've kind of given up in figuring what school is best to send kids to. My friends daughter goes to Mansfield high and has a 4.9 GPA. She is in AP courses with that kind of GPA, attends school in MA which is supposedly has better public schools most other states. The colleges she's applying to are like St Anselm's and Plymouth state. If those are the schools people with 4.9 GPAs end up going to then I don't know what to say anymore.
Are those her safety schools? I imagine there are other reasons, not that I can fathom what they are but I’m not familiar with either school.

Old 08-01-2022, 04:16 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Apparently when you take AP courses you can get as high as a 4.9

I'm not sure if they were safety schools. Usually people don't list safety to others when they are saying where they're applying. It was her grandmother telling me.

I think the family wants a significant amount of aid and she wants to stay close by...so those might be factors.

Old 08-01-2022, 04:41 PM

3,626 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:

I'm not sure if they were safety schools. Usually people don't list safety to others when they are saying where they're applying. It was her grandmother telling me.

I think the family wants a significant amount of aid and she wants to stay close by...so those might be factors.
I don't know what she's planning on majoring in but if it is nursing, St.A's is a solid nursing school. Also, they have the NHIOP (New Hampshire Institute of Politics which historically has hosted a lot of presidential candidates. Also, it is a location where CNN and other news stations usually broadcast from during election season) if she's majoring in political science.

Old 08-01-2022, 05:08 PM

Right I'm not saying there's anything wrong with either of those schools. I would just think someone with a 4.9 gpa would be applying to more competitive places. But I guess these days everyone in the world applies to those places.

Old 08-01-2022, 05:18 PM

3,626 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Right I'm not saying there's anything wrong with either of those schools. I would just think someone with a 4.9 gpa would be applying to more competitive places. But I guess these days everyone in the world applies to those places.
You don't need a degree from Harvard to carve out a great career!

Old 08-01-2022, 06:52 PM

I get that. But if you have a 4.9 gpa you should have some highly competitive schools to apply for

Old 08-01-2022, 07:26 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Someone smart and hard working enough to have almost straight A’s in all honors/AP since freshman year should be able to get scholarship money from a number of schools. I really hope she is able to get paid to go somewhere where her peer group is as successful as she is if money is an issue.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:48 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'm confused by your statement because a 4.0 GPA is the highest GPA possible.

Also, when colleges look at a student's file they don't just look at the grades the student achieved. They also look at how rigorous the education is at that school. For example, a 4.0 at Lexington High in MA is going to be looked at much differently than a 4.0 at Fayetteville High East in Fayetteville, AR. The 4.0 in Lexington will be considered a much higher achievement.

Generally speaking, college admissions are FAR more competitive than they have been in the past. Someone who might have gotten into Harvard 10 or 20 years ago would never get in today most likely.
That's why they look at course load and weighted GPAs.

The bolded comment has no authority outside the Greater Boston Area.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:52 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:

My Valedictorian in FL achieved a 5.667 (You can look up articles on Orange County Public Schools in FL and see there are even higher GPAs).

Dual Enrollment Courses were:
6.0 - A
5.0 - B
4.0 - C
2.0 - D
0.0 - E

AP were:
5.0 - A
4.0 - B
3.0 - C
2.0 - D
0.0 - E

Reg/Honors were:
4/0 - A
3.0 - B
2.0 - C
1.0 - D
0.0 - E

You were automatically placed in 'Honors' courses at my HS in Orlando and could toggle an AP for more rigorous load (Which a lot of people did, I was an average student and took 9 AP Courses) or even go do Dual Enrollment for free. Heres one article of a neighboring HS to show im not talking out of my a** : https://www.orangeobserver.com/artic...for-next-steps

I spec ifically remember someone who was like rank #25 (Still in top 3%, though) get into UNC Chapel Hill, Dartmouth, BU, Irvine and Brown. My cusin who went to Brookline HS a few years prior did not even get into BU or Brandeis with similar class structures. And Brookline is well known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts