Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2022, 05:35 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The Fed has a difficult job. One that is rarely done well. They have a mandate that really doesn't include making sure the markets are high (for some like me this market is great as its a good buying opportunity, for others, not so much), but instead achieve relative price stability (low inflation) and near full employment. Easy to second guess their actions, in hindsight.
Bull sheet. The Fed has spent the last 14 years propping up the stock market with an ungodly amount of money.

They aren't raising rates because of inflation. They are raising it because people are refusing to go back to the office and all the "Great Resignation" talk. Unfortunately to break them means crashing the stock market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 05:36 PM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
A lot of people had more money in 2020/21 from the government and people were just staying home not going on vacation, out to eat or anywhere really. Now things are pretty much back to normal.

Maybe some people prefer the lockdown lol.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:59 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Bull sheet. The Fed has spent the last 14 years propping up the stock market with an ungodly amount of money.

They aren't raising rates because of inflation. They are raising it because people are refusing to go back to the office and all the "Great Resignation" talk. Unfortunately to break them means crashing the stock market.
Why go back to the office when the same things can get accomplished with WFH? Anyone who says because of teamwork and company culture is full of bs. Who in their right mind wants to waste ~2-3 hours a day in their car and then be confined to sitting in a cubicle or office (maybe even without a window or stepping outside all day) when they don't have to? Who says you can't be productive and also get a load of laundry done or take your dog for a walk in between teams meetings or emails? WFH is here to stay. Rising rates aren't scaring me into going back into any office.....ever! There's more to life than keeping a regimented 9-5 and enduring a daily commute to an office. Sorry if companies are now scared they'll have to fulfill lease obligations for a half empty building but many are realizing and accommodating this re-balance to include WFH which in many cases= happier and more productive employees for them.

Last edited by newenglandgal123; 09-27-2022 at 06:08 PM..

Old 09-27-2022, 06:22 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Why go back to the office when the same things can get accomplished with WFH? Anyone who says because of teamwork and company culture is full of bs. Who in their right mind wants to waste ~2-3 hours a day in their car and then be confined to sitting in a cubicle or office (maybe even without a window or stepping outside all day) when they don't have to? Who says you can't be productive and also get a load of laundry done or take your dog for a walk in between teams meetings or emails? WFH is here to stay. Rising rates aren't scaring me into going back into any office.....ever! There's more to life than keeping a regimented 9-5 and enduring a daily commute to an office. Sorry if companies are now scared they'll have to fulfill lease obligations for a half empty building but many are realizing and accommodating this re-balance to include WFH which in many cases= happier and more productive employees for them.
I agree with your feelings about WFH but don't believe that the Fed is raising rates just to force people back into the office. The Fed certainly wants to tamp down demand, but they don't seem to care how it happens.

Old 09-27-2022, 07:22 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I think you are premature...
Nope. I get that we just hit 6% 2 weeks ago, but here we are. Between interest rates and the equity markets it’s no longer a question of if housing will be impacted, but rather how significantly.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:36 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I agree with your feelings about WFH but don't believe that the Fed is raising rates just to force people back into the office. The Fed certainly wants to tamp down demand, but they don't seem to care how it happens.
They have limited tools to work with. They care, they're trying to do something that has rarely been done, slow down an economy without a recession. Depening on the ex Fed Governor you listen to, that's been accomplished once in history, to a few times, depending on what you consider a "soft landing" (I believe it was Volcker that hated/refused to use the term? Been awhile, but there was a chair that hated it.). In retrospect (everything is easy in restrospect) they should have started raising rates earlies and slower, but totally understandable with the supply chain fragility and covid why they didn't. This stuff is not simple. The best and brightest minds in economics will disagree (and no wonder, the mixed signals in the different regional areas are confusing). Internet warriors aren't going to figure out. They will second and third guess though.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:29 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
It really only can get worse. The economy was so on fire with record job growth, full unemployment, wages raising, inflation (in part due to high demand, but also supply chain issues), etc that they've had to try to put the brakes on it to cool it off. Soft landings are incredibly difficult, and rarely pulled off, so at least a little recession is likely. Can't be on fire like that forever.
I’m laughing at the typo.

We juiced the economy for 14 years with artificially low interest rates and deficit spending. There was always going to be a hangover from it. It’s unclear how this impacts metro Boston real estate but the rest of the state is going to have housing prices linked to interest rates and median household income. Where I live, oceanfront and behind a gate at a summer community will probably hold value since it’s a scarce resource. A middle class house is bound to correct to reflect the local economy and qualifying for a mortgage. Mortgage rates are still below the 50 year average.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:37 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,822 times
Quote:
They have limited tools to work with. They care, they're trying to do something that has rarely been done, slow down an economy without a recession. Depening on the ex Fed Governor you listen to, that's been accomplished once in history, to a few times, depending on what you consider a "soft landing" (I believe it was Volcker that hated/refused to use the term? Been awhile, but there was a chair that hated it.). In retrospect (everything is easy in restrospect) they should have started raising rates earlies and slower, but totally understandable with the supply chain fragility and covid why they didn't. This stuff is not simple. The best and brightest minds in economics will disagree (and no wonder, the mixed signals in the different regional areas are confusing). Internet warriors aren't going to figure out. They will second and third guess though.
There cannot keep raising rates. Both the Yen and Pound have been hammered in recent months. The Japanese (largest foreign treasury securities holder) have already started selling treasuries to defend the Yen and the more they dump the sooner the Fed will have to act. UK is already in pretty bad shape.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:30 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Where I live, oceanfront and behind a gate at a summer community will probably hold value since it’s a scarce resource.
Prime locations will always fare better. However, many of the so called cash buyers are looking a lot poorer than they did 6-12 months ago. It will be interesting to see where things go from here.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:03 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Rising rates aren't scaring me into going back into any office.....ever! There's more to life than keeping a regimented 9-5 and enduring a daily commute to an office. Sorry if companies are now scared they'll have to fulfill lease obligations for a half empty building but many are realizing and accommodating this re-balance to include WFH which in many cases= happier and more productive employees for them.
I imagine your attitude will change once the layoffs start. I think the Fed was hoping that tanking the stock market would be enough. But clearly it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts