Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2022, 07:16 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times

Advertisements

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Belmont/28...8/home/8457291

Nothing will ever surprise me in terms of prices here, but 2.4 for a ranch in Belmont seems a bit steep. It claims it's 3400 sqft but it doesn't look like it to me. It's been on the market since June so they are obviously having trouble finding a buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 08:07 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post

Nothing will ever surprise me in terms of prices here, but 2.4 for a ranch in Belmont seems a bit steep. It claims it's 3400 sqft but it doesn't look like it to me. It's been on the market since June so they are obviously having trouble finding a buyer.
Omg. I mean it's a nice house, kind of has a west coast vibe to it but 2.4 million for that ?? Why? No. Just no.

It's also had a price drop. It initially was listed for almost 2.8. I mean it's Belmont not chestnut hill.

Old 10-01-2022, 07:56 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
What's the norm at P&S? Wiring into escrow?
The majority of people IME pay the second deposit with a personal check. Less frequently, I've seen people wire in the funds. One thing that's picking up in popularity is there are a lot of companies that a brokerage can sign on with that give them the ability to initiate an EFT for the deposit funds. It's kind of like getting a payment request from Zelle. My office uses a company called EarnNest but there's another one called DepositLink. There are still a lot of offices that don't offer this convenience which is absolutely shocking to me.

Quote:

Yeah. That seems way over priced to me. It's a nice house on a nice sized lot in a nice town but this is Belmont not Brookline.

Old 10-01-2022, 05:23 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:

Looks like a 700-800k house.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:23 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The majority of people IME pay the second deposit with a personal check. Less frequently, I've seen people wire in the funds. One thing that's picking up in popularity is there are a lot of companies that a brokerage can sign on with that give them the ability to initiate an EFT for the deposit funds. It's kind of like getting a payment request from Zelle. My office uses a company called EarnNest but there's another one called DepositLink. There are still a lot of offices that don't offer this convenience which is absolutely shocking to me.

I imagine the cashier's check thing is reserved for borrowers with iffy credit or are otherwise poorly qualified.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:17 AM

721 posts, read 996,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

I bought and sold several homes in MA and for only my first purchase and my last sale was I ever at the closing. For the rest of them, my lawyer went. Cheap money to protect myself. I understand in some states attorney's are not needed. I am not a big fan of attorney's nor real estate agents but if push comes to shove in a deal, I would rather have an attorney on my side rather then standing alone saying "but my real estate agent told me so and so". As Ronald Regan said: "Trust but verify".
I always thought that the buyer had to be at the closing in person but that the seller did not have to. Am I mistaken? It would be great if I can close remotely on my new condo in MA. I do have an attorney.

Old 10-02-2022, 01:05 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saguarogirl507 View Post
I always thought that the buyer had to be at the closing in person but that the seller did not have to. Am I mistaken? It would be great if I can close remotely on my new condo in MA. I do have an attorney.
No, you don't have to be present at the closing. Notify your attorney.

Old 10-02-2022, 01:27 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Looks like a 700-800k house.
I think that price is way too low. In Needham, that would probably be a $1.9M house depending on where in town it's located. Belmont values are in the same neighborhood as Needham so I don't think it's as low as you're saying but the price is also way too high IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I imagine the cashier's check thing is reserved for borrowers with iffy credit or are otherwise poorly qualified.
If the first check bounced I would insist on the second check being bank certified. These checks are received so far in advance of the closing that there's really no point in having a more secure check than a personal check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saguarogirl507 View Post
You don't have to be there in person. This being said, MA never got their posterior in gear and approved a virtual notary system. So, you still need to wet sign everything. Your attorney should be able to get you the paperwork in advance so you can get it signed and notarized locally and then you can FedEx it back to MA. Still if you're able to, it's always better to come into town for the closing. You'll want to make sure the property in acceptable condition during the final walk through.

Old 10-02-2022, 04:53 PM

721 posts, read 996,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

You don't have to be there in person. This being said, MA never got their posterior in gear and approved a virtual notary system. So, you still need to wet sign everything. Your attorney should be able to get you the paperwork in advance so you can get it signed and notarized locally and then you can FedEx it back to MA. Still if you're able to, it's always better to come into town for the closing. You'll want to make sure the property in acceptable condition during the final walk through.
Thanks for that info. We are hoping to be there for the closing in November, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:12 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Or both. When I did the housing dance, I gave an earnest money check at offer (usually was $1,000-$3,000, depending on property). If the offer was accepted, that check was cashed and followed by a cashier's check for 5% of the agreed price due by P&S.
When we bought it was personal check for the $1K and then personal check for 5% at the P&S signing. At the closing, i brought a bank certified check for the remaining balance to make 20%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts