Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 05:58 PM

181 posts, read 124,412 times

Advertisements

kitchen open up into living room is here to stay IMO.

white kitchen cabinets and barn doors will be out of style at some point, though. in fact barn doors already seem kitschy to me.

white paint everywhere else in the house, however, is timeless.

that house is definitely smaller than 1700 sq ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 07:41 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
Yes, I have seen some prices go down so I am remaining hopeful and staying on top of the areas I would like to live in.

How do you think the student loan thing will impact housing? Do you mean that now more people will have less debt and so it will be easier to qualify for a mortgage? I hadn't thought of that but, that would make sense.
"Student loan thing" implies Uncle Joe & Co don't care about inflation and will keep the money printing press running nonstop to buy those sweet votes. Prices will dip somewhat as interest rates rocket off into intergalactic space but it won't help you at all as slightly lower purchase price at a much higher mortgage rate will end up costing you a lot more than a slightly higher purchase price at a much lower mortgage rate.

Also on a slightly different note take a look at your 401K balance - chances are that $10K you "saved" is costing you $100K.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:39 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Personally, I don't love barn doors either. I don't mind them too much in places where they just stay open and they're really just installed for aesthetic purposes. However, in places where you actually need a door and the functionality a door provides they're not very good. Because this type of door slides along the outside of the wall, there's a pretty sizeable gap between the door and the wall. So you don't get the full privacy, noise blocking, or really anything else any other style of door provides.

Not to mention they can be a bit loud to open and close. I always wonder about people who install them as a bathroom door in a bathroom suite. Isn't the other person going to wake up every time that door gets rolled open or closed? I suppose you can just leave the door open, but then why bother having a door at all?

Old 09-03-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I had a pocket door installed when I built my house near Boston. Saved a lot of space but had to be specially placed within the wall. I see the barn doors as a reasonable way to save space without going into the walls.

Now, about gray paint everywhere... A whole 'other story.
Ugh, yes, my house had gray paint everywhere and it was sucking my will to live. I spent my first Winter hear painting everything. Luckily they hadn't also installed dreary gray floors too, or it would have been a lot more expensive to rectify.

Old 09-03-2022, 10:19 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Ugh, yes, my house had gray paint everywhere and it was sucking my will to live. I spent my first Winter hear painting everything. Luckily they hadn't also installed dreary gray floors too, or it would have been a lot more expensive to rectify.

I have a couple of rooms in the condo with a kind of sage paint. I like it. I'm not sure how different gray is from that. I guess it depends on the shade.

Old 09-03-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have a couple of rooms in the condo with a kind of sage paint. I like it. I'm not sure how different gray is from that. I guess it depends on the shade.
Sage *seems* like it would be better, but green can be tricky.

Old 09-03-2022, 12:26 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
As one in the business, I can see that barn/sliding door is starting to peter out. It's not going away but less will be installed.

The drawback is that they take away wall space when open and they aren't very good for true privacy. Noise is less of an issue with nylon wheels and ball bearing - you'll barely hear it. I prefer pocket doors but it's invasive installation is why people went with barn doors starting 15 years ago. Back then, all people could get was actual barn door track - galvanized steel with steel rollers. I didn't get why anyone would want it but it was the beginning of trend.

Gray is the new beige. It's inoffensive and matches just about any other color.

Old 09-03-2022, 12:28 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I guess I prefer beige. Looks better with wood floors. I rely on artwork for color.

Old 09-03-2022, 01:57 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Buddy of mine is looking for a house in the Houston area. $750-1mil range. All I will say is that in a few days of helping him search, the market is not the same as here in Boston.

Many houses in that range are on the market for 40, 50, 60 or more days, and many have had price drops. I keep telling him if 3/4 of these houses were in MA they would have gone pending within a week. It almost seems like he has the upper hand and reasonable expects to get something under asking. At first I thought he was joking, but now I think the same.

MA real estate doesn't seem to follow that trend it seems...at least for now

Old 09-03-2022, 02:59 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
East coast is different,Houston real estate is never that hot,may be the old cowboy and wildcatter mentality,living far away is not a problem,plenty of land to build a house,and you know what else we have,OIL,plenty of oil turned into gasoline.
also the payscale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts