Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 03:15 PM

720 posts, read 996,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Buddy of mine is looking for a house in the Houston area. $750-1mil range. All I will say is that in a few days of helping him search, the market is not the same as here in Boston.

Many houses in that range are on the market for 40, 50, 60 or more days, and many have had price drops. I keep telling him if 3/4 of these houses were in MA they would have gone pending within a week. It almost seems like he has the upper hand and reasonable expects to get something under asking. At first I thought he was joking, but now I think the same.

MA real estate doesn't seem to follow that trend it seems...at least for now
It is like that here in Arizona as well. When they build houses here they build thousands at a time. I know of one HOA that consists of 5000 homes. The most I have ever seen in MA is maybe 10 homes built in one place.

When I was a kid we lived in Beverly in a place called Raymond Farms. I remember that there were a lot of houses, maybe over a thousand, but homes were much smaller then and you could fit more on the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 05:24 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post

When I was a kid we lived in Beverly in a place called Raymond Farms. I remember that there were a lot of houses, maybe over a thousand, but homes were much smaller then and you could fit more on the land.
It's really quite crazy. Families are smaller now than 40-50 years ago. Yet houses are much larger. I really don't understand the need for all of it.

Old 09-03-2022, 05:46 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's really quite crazy. Families are smaller now than 40-50 years ago. Yet houses are much larger. I really don't understand the need for all of it.
I think it's that if you are going to justify the big prices, may as well go big. Smaller homes have been replaced with those Townhomes that try to look like an SFH but have a shared wall.

Old 09-03-2022, 06:08 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
Quote:
thats the American way,bigger and better .
STARTER HOME here has a fireplace,3 bedrooms,powder room,2 bathrooms,both have bathtubs,one has shower as well,nice yard,breakfast nook,den ,formal dining room,1600 sq ft,water heater ,central A/C.
Everyone has his /her own bedroom with TV ,CELL PHONE.
mc/visa and once they are old enough to drive,their own cars.

Old 09-03-2022, 06:57 PM

3,609 posts, read 1,836,365 times
Quote:
It is crazy. Who really needs and uses a formal dining room, unless you're the family that hosts the majority of the holidays? Also, who wants to clean and heat all those unused or seldomly used rooms? I just don't get it. It's a shame that many builders are tearing down these modest ranch or cape style homes instead of renovating them. They are being replaced with gargantuan, ugly homes that have odd angles and roof lines that don't even fit the character of the rest of the neighborhood. It seems people think they need more space than they actually do or maybe it is just lifestyle inflation and trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:12 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,072,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
It is crazy. Who really needs and uses a formal dining room, unless you're the family that hosts the majority of the holidays? Also, who wants to clean and heat all those unused or seldomly used rooms? I just don't get it. It's a shame that many builders are tearing down these modest ranch or cape style homes instead of renovating them. They are being replaced with gargantuan, ugly homes that have odd angles and roof lines that don't even fit the character of the rest of the neighborhood. It seems people think they need more space than they actually do or maybe it is just lifestyle inflation and trying to keep up with the Joneses.
It’s often not that much more expensive to build a brand new house than to renovate a poorly built 70 year old cape and have every single little thing brought up to code. More importantly, you’d still end up with a small cape where renovation costs will far exceed any profit you can make.

Old 09-04-2022, 07:01 AM

181 posts, read 124,230 times
exactly - the large mcmansion homes are the only ones economically justifiable as a builder/developer.

Old 09-04-2022, 07:51 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,072,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post
exactly - the large mcmansion homes are the only ones economically justifiable as a builder/developer.
I always get a good laugh out of all the clowns whining about "affordable" housing not being built while calling for moronic policies that make new construction so expensive it would take a million just to break even.

Old 09-04-2022, 04:59 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,954 times
https://www.redfin.com/MA/Maynard/19...home/168660682

Unique at least? A formerly run down church converted into an SFH in Maynard. It's almost like a flip gone bad. It doesn't really work for me. Plus they were originally asking for 1.25M... it's down to 975k.

Old 09-04-2022, 07:05 PM

720 posts, read 996,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
https://www.redfin.com/MA/Maynard/19...home/168660682

Unique at least? A formerly run down church converted into an SFH in Maynard. It's almost like a flip gone bad. It doesn't really work for me. Plus they were originally asking for 1.25M... it's down to 975k.
It is odd isn't it? I don't think I could ever live in something like that. A little too much!

But they did do a nice job with the renovations....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts