Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2022, 02:06 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I've attended family gatherings of ~20 people at homes less than 3,000 sqft, so unless one is hosting a convention there's no need for 4000+ sqft. Family gatherings are a reason people will pursue large homes, sure, but it's not a need. Nobody needs a 4000+ sqft home to hold down a job or avoid prison.

I respect the middle-class man who says he mortgaged himself up to his eyeballs because he wanted a big home to try to impress his friends, but not the middle-class man who says he mortgaged himself up to his eyeballs because he needed a larger home for family gatherings. The first man recognizes his excess and owned it; the second man is seeking validation that he made a good decision.
Oh i see it's ok for a filthy rich person to build a huge home to impress people but not anyone else. Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 02:46 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Oh i see it's ok for a filthy rich person to build a huge home to impress people but not anyone else. Got it.
Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion, especially given I point-blank said I respected the not-filthy-rich person for doing the exact same thing.

Old 10-19-2022, 03:44 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,732,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Just reading data on 22-23 real estate predictions.

Thoughts?
https://www.noradarealestate.com/blo...ousing-market/
That's interesting, prices are projected to go up next year. All the news articles keep talking about a housing crash.

Old 10-19-2022, 03:52 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
That's interesting, prices are projected to go up next year. All the news articles keep talking about a housing crash.
The general media is all a bunch of chicken littles (the sky is falling!). The real estate media is all predicting increased prices next year just not 20% increases but more like normal increases 3-5% but a significant downturn in the number of transactions.

Old 10-19-2022, 04:18 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,732,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The general media is all a bunch of chicken littles (the sky is falling!). The real estate media is all predicting increased prices next year just not 20% increases but more like normal increases 3-5% but a significant downturn in the number of transactions.
Sucks for buyers on the sidelines waiting for prices to fall.

Old 10-19-2022, 04:28 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
I don't think prices are going to fall significantly in the greater Boston area

Old 10-20-2022, 06:26 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Family and family gatherings are vain reasons to buy a large home? We obviously have different ideas on vanity. That’s the best reason for a large home.

And excessive consumption. Oy. You sound like the people who are constantly berating the working man about consumption and conservation from their mansions, yachts and private jets?
I have several sets of retired friends with big houses at ski resorts and near the beach. The logic is that the grandchildren will want to visit. It’s a very effective strategy.

Old 10-20-2022, 07:41 AM

30 posts, read 18,637 times
I have made a career of designing such houses, many for exactly the reason you are now discussing: bringing the family together. And the truth is, they are very rarely full. In fact, I always make a point of locating the primary bedroom and living quarters in such a way that the house can be used by a couple comfortably without feeling that they are constantly moving about through a large and empty house. These houses also tend to be sold when one of the couple passes or needs care. Children rarely take them on; they go to the real estate market.
The excess at the top of the wealth scale is astonishing and quite different from 30-40 years ago.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:08 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post

Zillow keeps sending me market projections on ZIP codes i am interesting in showing a 1-3% decline over the next year.

Yeah...I am aware it's zillow forecasting

Old 10-20-2022, 08:18 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have several sets of retired friends with big houses at ski resorts and near the beach. The logic is that the grandchildren will want to visit. It’s a very effective strategy.
Yep! Our parents have adopted this approach. We visit my in-laws quite a bit as they're near skiing. My parents sold the ski house (my fiancee and I have property in the same town) but both are on the water in different areas so we go visit for boating/beaches. We love our families, but having things to do nearby is definitely added incentive to visit more frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts