Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2022, 03:13 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
One other possibility is that it's a very short time at that amount and a follow-up lump-sum is paid to lower the payment. When we bought, we put ~25% down because we hadn't sold our previous place yet; once it sold we took some of the proceeds and made another payment for about 33% of the principal, then immediately re-cast the mortgage to drop the P&I part of the payment (by around $2k/month). On the public records though, it'll only show the original down and mortgage amount so the outside observer would have no idea that the current mortgage payment is actually only based on about 65% of the original loan amount.
True, good point. That is a scenario that could happen as well. Anyone can make payments toward their principal above and beyond standard monthly payments and the outstanding amount could be significantly less than what shows in the public records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 03:41 PM

849 posts, read 554,024 times
In old days, people only pretended not to know how much their friends' home cost.
Now we pretend not to know the mortgage loan.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:49 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
True, good point. That is a scenario that could happen as well. Anyone can make payments toward their principal above and beyond standard monthly payments and the outstanding amount could be significantly less than what shows in the public records.
That’s not true. You can look up mortgages for any house in the state at the county registry of deeds. You’ll see the original mortgage, the discharge, and the new mortgage. If you want to snoop on your neighbors, it’s all online with a few mouse clicks. I certainly looked my house up before I bought it so I had a good sense for the seller’s equity position. It also served as an informal title search since any lien will be there.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That’s not true. You can look up mortgages for any house in the state at the county registry of deeds. You’ll see the original mortgage, the discharge, and the new mortgage. If you want to snoop on your neighbors, it’s all online with a few mouse clicks. I certainly looked my house up before I bought it so I had a good sense for the seller’s equity position. It also served as an informal title search since any lien will be there.
Um, yeah it is true. Hypothetically speaking, if I made a big lump sum payment toward my principal last month and if you were to look up my mortgage in the public records, it's not going to show you or any other joe shmoe what the current outstanding amount is. It will only show you the original mortgage amount and in cases of a re-fi, it will show you that new outstanding amount as a result of the re-fi.

Let's say original amount is $800K, last month I make a $100K payment toward principal, it is not going to show you that the remaining mortgage amount is now ~$700K.

Old 10-26-2022, 06:53 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
haha. I mean I would have been satisfied enough to find out about the 1.6 million home.

Is 300k down on a 1.6 million house a lot? Is she single? If not, parents definitely helped or someone died and left her money.
I know plenty of people under 35 who are capable of putting 300k down on a home, it's not that far fetched. I'm not sure why you assume she can only do it through inheritance or help from parents.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:09 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default Anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
I know plenty of people under 35 who are capable of putting 300k down on a home, it's not that far fetched. I'm not sure why you assume she can only do it through inheritance or help from parents.
Well I guess we are living in a new world where lots of single people under 35 have 300k sitting around that they made themselves.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I had to go back to look. Fairway Independent Mortgage Corp and Crosscountry Mortgage Inc were the most recent since interest rates exploded. Both were under 8% down on 700-800K homes within the last month.

I can't seem to figure out how to navigate the masslandrecords site. I used https://www.countyoffice.org/ma-property-records/ but you are limited to 5 searched per day
I looked up a recent sale near me where the buyers put 3.5% down and it was with Fairway as well.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:26 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Well I guess we are living in a new world where lots of single people under 35 have 300k sitting around that they made themselves.
Not saying it's common but definitely possible for a frugal person. Say you graduate college at age 22, that's 13 years of working. Saving 23k per year earning zero interest gets you there. But saving half of that per year and investing it would also get you there.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:30 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
If someone is living in Boston and paying rent unless they are very highly paid I'd be surprised if they could save 300k by 35. I mean they'd have to be very frugal or very high salary

And btw you said you knew plenty of people capable of saving 300k on their own by 35. Plenty = a lot then you said it's not common

Old 10-26-2022, 07:37 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Not saying it's common but definitely possible for a frugal person. Say you graduate college at age 22, that's 13 years of working. Saving 23k per year earning zero interest gets you there. But saving half of that per year and investing it would also get you there.

A 22 or 23 year old able to save 23K per year is an extreme anomaly, no matter how frugal one is. Entry level salaries and the local cost of living, just makes that out of reach for almost anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts