Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2022, 03:15 PM

23,776 posts, read 18,899,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
What type of "stuff" and can you share examples of that history?

You think they're misquoting the migrants or they're just totally making that up?

Do you, truthfully, think Migrants knew they were headed to Martha's Vineyard??

We have multiple quotes here saying they did not. And a timeline of events.

They do the same thing every other politically charged news source does these days, with their selective reporting and cherry picking of facts to suit their agenda. An example that comes to mind is a while back during the Trump years (topic was the border wall), when they interviewed a sheriff of some Podunk, Arizona border county who was going on about how crime there remained low despite having an open border and many illegal crossings. Well DUH, that's because there's no reason for them to stop there! They are all bound for Tucson, Phoenix... where crime is through the roof. I believe NPR was also involved in that hearsay "report" about people in federal detention facilities being forced to drink out of urinals etc., that later turned out to be false.

In this case I don't believe they misquoted anybody, nor were the interviewees "lying". These allegations might be true. But there are also a few givens here. For one language barriers will be present, possibly multiple if these migrants came from different regions or tribes. Two, they are going to be suffering some degree of stress or exhaustion. This all leaves the potential for communication to break down via various "translators" and the wonderful "game of telephone". I can totally see a statement like "We will bring you to a resort island 75 miles south of Boston" leaving maybe 2 or 3 out of 50 with the perception that "we are going to Boston". Again I'm not suggesting this is what happened, but if NPR interviews 10/50 migrants and two thought they were going to Boston with the other eight understanding it was Martha's Vineyard...I do not have enough faith in NPR that they would not discard those eight while blowing up the first two in their "story". Sorry but you are deceitful once, I am going to doubt you going forward. I'll need to see some kind of investigation first or charges filed/actual lawsuit, and hearing both sides' accounts before drawing my own conclusion. That goes with pretty much everything I hear in the news these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 03:25 PM

23,776 posts, read 18,899,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
A former coworker of mine runs a nonprofit trying to build more housing on Martha's Vineyard because teachers, nurses, and first responders can't afford to live there due to the lack of year-round housing (many year-round folks are kicked out of rentals over the summer for higher paying vacationers), much less lower income folks who keep the island running year round. Here's some good info on the economic situation: https://www.mvcommission.org/economi...rthas-vineyard The average income of the island is higher than average in Mass, but that's heavily skewed.

The Martha's Vineyard year round housing FB group has listings for $1200-$1500 before utilities for a ROOM for 1 person in a shared house or apartment. Another lists an $800 bed in a shared room that is described as "dorm style" with 3-4 other people in bunkbeds.

I think it's fair to say that most year round people are not wealthy unless they bought in a decade or two ago, and the housing inflation is compounded by folks being able to rent out summer rentals for thousands of dollars a week.

Obviously this is a stunt, but dropping folks who were lied to about where the were going in one of the two least prepared parts of Massachusetts is... something. Evil isn't quite far enough. Want to make the point? Send them to Boston.

A lot of people there move twice a year, as "off season" rates are typically lower.

Also, many of these immigrants have housing provided by their employer; or there are networks of Brazilians, Bulgarians, Jamaicans, etc. who end up in human "warehousing" type situations. Some of it's probably illegal, but the businesses need them there so it tends to be overlooked. But it's not the same as if "you or I" was moving there looking for a place on FB to rent.

I do realize that what I said "could" be a little out of date, and that the problem has become more acute in the past two years. But knowing how much the local businesses rely on them, I'm sure they'll figure something out.

Old 09-15-2022, 04:10 PM

14,084 posts, read 14,007,506 times
Baker administration 'exploring' moving migrants from Martha's Vineyard to Joint Base Cape Cod

TISBURY, Mass. —
Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker said his administration is "exploring" another move for dozens of migrants who arrived on Martha's Vineyard on Wednesday aboard charter flights linked to Florida's state government.

"The Baker-Polito Administration is exploring setting up temporary shelter and humanitarian services at Joint Base Cape Cod and will share additional information as soon as it becomes available," Baker said in a written statement issued Thursday.

https://www.wcvb.com/amp/article/mig...orida/41220505

Old 09-15-2022, 05:16 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,593,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
A former coworker of mine runs a nonprofit trying to build more housing on Martha's Vineyard because teachers, nurses, and first responders can't afford to live there due to the lack of year-round housing (many year-round folks are kicked out of rentals over the summer for higher paying vacationers), much less lower income folks who keep the island running year round. Here's some good info on the economic situation: https://www.mvcommission.org/economi...rthas-vineyard The average income of the island is higher than average in Mass, but that's heavily skewed.

The Martha's Vineyard year round housing FB group has listings for $1200-$1500 before utilities for a ROOM for 1 person in a shared house or apartment. Another lists an $800 bed in a shared room that is described as "dorm style" with 3-4 other people in bunkbeds.

I think it's fair to say that most year round people are not wealthy unless they bought in a decade or two ago, and the housing inflation is compounded by folks being able to rent out summer rentals for thousands of dollars a week.

Obviously this is a stunt, but dropping folks who were lied to about where the were going in one of the two least prepared parts of Massachusetts is... something. Evil isn't quite far enough. Want to make the point? Send them to Boston.
can one land a private charter without a flite plan at logan ? these persons dont have i.d.'s so they wouldnt be able to board commercial planes. thats probably why this stunt was so expensive.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:14 PM

25,997 posts, read 12,998,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Massachusetts is a sanctuary state. It would be the height of hypocrisy for Massachusetts politicians to say the undocumented are unwanted there. All sanctuary states should be prepared to receive these folks.
Nailed it...stuck the landing...and nothing else to say in this thread...next topic please

Old 09-15-2022, 06:54 PM

6,298 posts, read 5,168,779 times
Pure misplaced political b.s. Florida wasting millions of $ in taxpayer money to pull this stunt. If Florida really cared about the border, their Senators would not have voted against the infrastructure bill which deals with border security.

Old 09-15-2022, 08:32 PM

13,618 posts, read 21,427,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Florida and the border states have the rights to really push for a federal solution where most the illegals at the border are relocated in other states during the processing of their requests.
But this wouldn't grant him any headline.
lol.... Biden and Harris response is there is no border crisis. Why ? because they want caravans of 20,000 people at a time crossing.

And as far as headlines, the media in league with Biden have tried to downplay it for a long time.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:01 PM

26,664 posts, read 28,782,169 times
Democrats AND Republicans need to do some immigration reform but they never do. There are asylum seekers who deserve to be allowed in BUT there needs to be a place for them to stay while they are being vetted. Instead the government seems to bus them all over the country and tell them to come back for their hearings. They never come back. They just stay here illegally and that is wrong.

Others who want to get in should apply like the rest of the immigrants do. No country just lets people come in with no medical or background check. Many of us had ancestors who came --legally. They had sponsors, guaranteed jobs, were checked out to make sure they were healthy and not criminals. FIX the immigration system=problem solved.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:21 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,081,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Pure misplaced political b.s. Florida wasting millions of $ in taxpayer money to pull this stunt. If Florida really cared about the border, their Senators would not have voted against the infrastructure bill which deals with border security.
You mean the $3.6B to modernize and improve the welcome centers for our undocumented guests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Democrats AND Republicans need to do some immigration reform but they never do. There are asylum seekers who deserve to be allowed in BUT there needs to be a place for them to stay while they are being vetted. Instead the government seems to bus them all over the country and tell them to come back for their hearings. They never come back. They just stay here illegally and that is wrong.

Others who want to get in should apply like the rest of the immigrants do. No country just lets people come in with no medical or background check. Many of us had ancestors who came --legally. They had sponsors, guaranteed jobs, were checked out to make sure they were healthy and not criminals. FIX the immigration system=problem solved.
Oh no, that would be very racist, classist, ableist, healthist, criminalist and all and all sorts of other *ist!

Old 09-16-2022, 01:07 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,105,911 times
Its really not diverse enough there. Only 15,000 people live their full-time, would like to see Americans send at least 10,000 illegals there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts