Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2022, 03:18 PM

531 posts, read 431,911 times

Advertisements

And now your tax dollars are being spent on Target shopping sprees for them. And before you say it’s their own money, it’s not. The article clearly states they were given Visa gift cards.

I cut back on Target impulse shopping because things are so expensive but these people are being rewarded for breaking the law with gift cards to buy whatever they want. Maddening.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...get-store.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 03:20 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,116,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

I still think people who have served in the military are far more patriotic that someone who moved here from Ecuador and refuses to learn English.
I still think people conflate patriotism with nationalism. All the time.

Old 09-17-2022, 03:28 PM

24,810 posts, read 11,217,157 times
Quote:
Why is it always assumed that immigrants work harder and are more appreciative? This is WRONG. They might be appreciative that they paid more here than they do in their home country but that is it. Don't tell me they hang american flags and take the time to ever think about this country's history. The most grateful people of this country I've met are those who have served in the military and their families.
Assume? I know as first generation immigrant. My financial and social situation was considerable better in Europe.

History incuding world history was mandatory as of 4th grade. We do fly the US flag at our house at the appropriate occasions.

Please stop while you are behind. US Armed Forces is a company. People join for various reasons.

Old 09-17-2022, 03:35 PM

24,810 posts, read 11,217,157 times
Quote:
There are certainly some native born people who do nothing for this country, sure.

My grandparents were also immigrants and they worked hard also.

I still think people who have served in the military are far more patriotic that someone who moved here from Ecuador and refuses to learn English.
And your grandparents spoke fluent English, travelled first class and built a house in Martha's Vineyard.

Old 09-17-2022, 04:00 PM

16,898 posts, read 8,579,415 times
Default anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
And your grandparents spoke fluent English, travelled first class and built a house in Martha's Vineyard.
they did speak english but the rest is absolutely false.

Old 09-17-2022, 04:01 PM

16,898 posts, read 8,579,415 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
And now your tax dollars are being spent on Target shopping sprees for them. And before you say it’s their own money, it’s not. The article clearly states they were given Visa gift cards.

I cut back on Target impulse shopping because things are so expensive but these people are being rewarded for breaking the law with gift cards to buy whatever they want. Maddening.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...get-store.html
Pathetic

Old 09-17-2022, 05:36 PM

26,095 posts, read 13,088,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
There seems to be a disconnect by some more liberal, homogenous, northern states that don't have a lot of illegal immigrants (Vermont, I'm looking at you). There's this belief everyone in the Southwest and Florida is a horrible racist because they want to have genuine border security - when in reality most of us in the north will never have to deal with the fallout of a porous border.

That being said, DeSantis may be doing this because because he's trying to make a point, forgetting the fact that he's using actual human beings as pawns in his silly chess match with "liberals." If he really cared, he'd make an appointment with the President to see what can be done and commence a governor's meeting where he discusses temporary placement for these migrants.

But he's not gonna do that. He's rather "own the libs" than actually work on a 50 state solution. Solutions are for nerds. Publicity stunts are for guys who want to be President.
Immigration is a federal task, Governors have no power to stop it. There's no possible 50-state solution....only the federal gov't can solve this, & the Gov's have no jurisdiction.

If he met with Biden, and/or Harris, they'd do nothing to stop it. So, this is one of the only things he can do to make a point, & its working like a charm. Its making national news, social media is blowing up over it, and the people in the places the illegals are being sent to are irrate...well most of them are, but Martha's Vineyard's locals seemed indifferent.

DeSantis and Abbott are winning this battle and most Americans are with them because most want the Southern border closed and a better immigration policy implemented...by this administration that controls the House, Senate, and White House. They have total control and are doing NOTHING to fix it.

I was on Martha's Vineyard yesterday, and most locals I spoke to didn't give a darn because they knew the illegals would be moved off Island quickly.

I'm talking to people on Cape Cod now about it too, so I'll report back when I get more opinions. I'll be near the joint forces air force base tomorrrow. My guess is all 48 will be moved to Boston very soon.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 09-17-2022 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-17-2022, 06:26 PM

6,325 posts, read 5,209,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
This whole thread along with a similar one in the P&OC forum really brings out the dirt in our fellow Americans. It lays bare the fact that our society as a whole has become a lot more entitled and self-centered than decades before. Let's face it, the argument that illegal immigrants take away job opportunities from hardworking citizens is true on one hand but extremely flawed on another because many newcomers, legal or illegal, are harder working and more appreciative of this land than many citizens. Who built this nation? Who stocked the police stations, firehouses, factories, and even laundromats with personnel? Long standing citizens or those who were greeted with such phrases as "The Chinese Must Go" or "Irish Need Not Apply"? Did these folks choose to take on the dirtiest, most dangerous occupations or was it because there weren't anything else they were allowed to do and they wanted desperately to stay here?
Thank you for stating this. And the undercurrent of racism is so obvious with this wave of migrants.

Old 09-17-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
There are certainly some native born people who do nothing for this country, sure.

My grandparents were also immigrants and they worked hard also.

Why do you think these are mutually exclusive? I'm an immigrant, and I have relatives who have served in the US armed forces. As officers! And my story is not isolated. We are as, if not more, damn loyal to this country than you native-born folks think you are.

Old 09-17-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Immigration is a federal task, Governors have no power to stop it. There's no possible 50-state solution....only the federal gov't can solve this, & the Gov's have no jurisdiction.

If he met with Biden, and/or Harris, they'd do nothing to stop it.

Give me a break. The mature, adult thing to do would have been exactly for the Governors to work with the federal govt, much as they do with natural disasters. The real reason? Desantis or Abbott meeting with Biden/Harris to come up with a constructive solution would have been labeled a RINO move by the orange deity to whom they genuflect 5 times a day, and his mindless minions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts