Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2022, 06:17 PM

6,325 posts, read 5,225,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Sure but let’s be honest, 99.9% of the well-coached “danger jefe, danger, asylum, asylum!” crowd are economic migrants and do not qualify for asylum. And more importantly, it is 100% illegal to just barge in and drop off the radar to never be seen again while “seeking asylum.”
Do your homework, "homie". These 50 folks were not in that category. They were being processed at a migrant center in San Antonio and many have hearings scheduled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
You obviously have spent too much time ignorantly educating yourself and others if you feel illegals are harder working than native americans. I find your post insulting to EVERY hardworking local farmer that I see working their fields every day to support their families. I live this life on a daily basis and most of the farmers I work with, not only work other full time jobs but not one of them have mexicans doing the work for them. Migrants work on factory farms where the animals are living in horrendous conditions. And guess who pays that bill...the taxpayers.

You need to get your nose out of the books and in the fields.
You need to educate yourself on who the true NATIVE Americans are. Perhaps you'll have a different perspective on immigration thereafter.

Old 09-18-2022, 07:55 PM

3,985 posts, read 5,819,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
You obviously have spent too much time ignorantly educating yourself and others if you feel illegals are harder working than native americans. I find your post insulting to EVERY hardworking local farmer that I see working their fields every day to support their families. I live this life on a daily basis and most of the farmers I work with, not only work other full time jobs but not one of them have mexicans doing the work for them. Migrants work on factory farms where the animals are living in horrendous conditions. And guess who pays that bill...the taxpayers.

You need to get your nose out of the books and in the fields.
Too bad. My ancestors back in the old country toiled in fields every day of the week from dawn to dusk earning diddly scrap at the mercy of others.That's why my great-grandfather sold himself as an indentured servant to a foreigner so that succeeding generations could have enough money to own land and earn a better living. Then the Communists came and confiscated everything, which is why we're now here. We're not going back to the fields and I personally find it insulting that you think that I have no feelings for farmers. I worked on a farm one summer as a teen (against the wishes of my father who thought farm work was too like what our ancestors toiled at) and even though that nowhere qualifies me as a fully fledged farmer, at least I got to learn what it takes to run a farm, purchasing the equipment, looking after the crops, etc. I get it, you're angry as are a great many other farmers, landowners, and business owners out there but you're taking it out on the wrong people. For the record, my response was to another poster who blames all immigrants, legal or illegal, for the country's ills. Blame the corporate agrarians for your demise, not the landless little people just trying to earn a living every day like you.

Old 09-18-2022, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Too bad. My ancestors back in the old country toiled in fields every day of the week from dawn to dusk earning diddly scrap at the mercy of others.That's why my great-grandfather sold himself as an indentured servant to a foreigner so that succeeding generations could have enough money to own land and earn a better living. Then the Communists came and confiscated everything, which is why we're now here. We're not going back to the fields and I personally find it insulting that you think that I have no feelings for farmers. I worked on a farm one summer as a teen (against the wishes of my father who thought farm work was too like what our ancestors toiled at) and even though that nowhere qualifies me as a fully fledged farmer, at least I got to learn what it takes to run a farm, purchasing the equipment, looking after the crops, etc. I get it, you're angry as are a great many other farmers, landowners, and business owners out there but you're taking it out on the wrong people. For the record, my response was to another poster who blames all immigrants, legal or illegal, for the country's ills. Blame the corporate agrarians for your demise, not the landless little people just trying to earn a living every day like you.
Well said. Automation, plus big business taking over and consolidating in major industries have been the biggest reason for manufacturing jobs going away over time. Yet it's easy to blame brown immigrants instead, to drum up contributions and votes.

Old 09-19-2022, 07:13 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,107,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Well said. Automation, plus big business taking over and consolidating in major industries have been the biggest reason for manufacturing jobs going away over time. Yet it's easy to blame brown immigrants instead, to drum up contributions and votes.
If anything the decline in manufacturing in American is largely due to the people who HAVEN'T come to the US and not the folks who have. Manufacturing on the whole has moved out of this country because the cost of living is so high here. There are millions of people around the world who are excited to get paid a wage that most Americans could never survive on and so those low skill jobs move out of the country. Meanwhile, there are plenty of higher skill jobs that have left the country like coding jobs because again there are people who can do the same job someplace where they're happy to accept a much lower wage than their American counterparts. Call centers are another great example of jobs that have left the country.

I really feel for all of these folks who are scraping by because their jobs/industries have left our shores. They're looking for someone to blame for their problems and there are plenty of politicians including that orange clown who recently left the white house who are happy to leverage that through fear mongering to garner support.

Old 09-19-2022, 07:21 AM

5,737 posts, read 3,270,873 times
Suck it up.

Old 09-19-2022, 07:56 AM

7,947 posts, read 7,877,409 times
I think there's things that everyone should basically agree on with immigration

1) You can never blame anyone for wanting a better life for themselves and family

2) Some conditions will create a breaking point and cause people to leave. We had a situation in 2005 (Hurricane Katrina) which did remove people and put them across the country. I worked with a National Guardsman at the time that said they were spitting on her but they were only trying to help. We cannot realistically say that people will want to live in a place with war, disease, poverty etc for their rest of their lives

3) We cannot logically bring in the rest of the planet in the country. There are legal limits to what can be done in a building. Building code, health code and fire codes do exist. Every now and then I hear of a place in Quincy that crams in 10 people in a place that should be five etc.

There is quite a bit of irony with the actions of Florida on this. First off is that 50 people is not that significant. It might not even be one bus load. We're not talking thousands of people so it was really targeted to provoke the image of a affluent place rejecting people but that didn't happen. Secondly is the vast majority of the major employers in Florida are tax exempt. Five of the largest ten employers are local/county governments and school districts, one military base three are hospitals and only two are private (Disney and Publix). Florida does not produce oil and manufacturing is pretty small.

https://livability.com/fl/education-...rs-in-florida/
https://www.industryselect.com/blog/...ies-in-florida

You mean to tell us a military base of 23,000 could not take 50? 0.02%... really. come on now.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:03 AM

16,984 posts, read 8,652,452 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If anything the decline in manufacturing in American is largely due to the people who HAVEN'T come to the US and not the folks who have. Manufacturing on the whole has moved out of this country because the cost of living is so high here. There are millions of people around the world who are excited to get paid a wage that most Americans could never survive on and so those low skill jobs move out of the country. Meanwhile, there are plenty of higher skill jobs that have left the country like coding jobs because again there are people who can do the same job someplace where they're happy to accept a much lower wage than their American counterparts. Call centers are another great example of jobs that have left the country.

I really feel for all of these folks who are scraping by because their jobs/industries have left our shores. They're looking for someone to blame for their problems and there are plenty of politicians including that orange clown who recently left the white house who are happy to leverage that through fear mongering to garner support.
The fact that so many of these jobs you mentioned above are no longer in the US coupled with the fact that cost of living here is so high has MANY people wondering WHY so many 3rd world country people continue to come to the US. There is not much here for them at this point.

Also add in that getting a degree for people without money has become somewhat of a joke, yet a degree is needed for many jobs.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:40 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,107,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
The fact that so many of these jobs you mentioned above are no longer in the US coupled with the fact that cost of living here is so high has MANY people wondering WHY so many 3rd world country people continue to come to the US. There is not much here for them at this point.

Also add in that getting a degree for people without money has become somewhat of a joke, yet a degree is needed for many jobs.
True but many immigrants are willing to do with less and live in conditions that many Americans wouldn't tolerate for the chance to give their family a better life. So they're more than happy to take lower wage jobs. I don't see many Americans clamoring for jobs like landscaper, cashier, bag boy, house cleaner, etc., etc., etc.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:46 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,953,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If anything the decline in manufacturing in American is largely due to the people who HAVEN'T come to the US and not the folks who have. Manufacturing on the whole has moved out of this country because the cost of living is so high here.
Manufacturing hasn't moved out of the US. we manufacture more than ever.

The problem is we make more with fewer people. The jobs are less, but cause we don't need 150 girls shoved into a mill in Lowell to run looms and kids to send through to clear the jams. Now all but 1 or 2 of those jobs are automated, and those machines make at least double the output those 150 girls did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts