Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2022, 09:16 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,079,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Some of the Texas border towns see 50 dropped off every 10 minutes.
Except where migrants typically come into the country they're setup to receive them and there are federal resources for migrants in that area. Not the same infrastructure in MV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 09:30 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,079,000 times
Now the Governor of CA is getting involved. This is really turning into a big national issue just like DeSantis was hoping. All the politicians on both sides of the aisle are hoping to use this to grab the spotlight.

https://www.boston.com/news/politics...p_featurestack

Old 09-16-2022, 09:38 AM

2,282 posts, read 1,353,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The ancestors' argument is a bad one given how lax everything was back in the Ellis Island Days. The whole country was founded on people who just decided to come here.
I came here in the '00s and people that came pre 9/11 told me how much easier it was to immigrate. The requirements were minimal back then and I am talking just a few years back

It's hard now when you have no familial ties and, especially when you have no special skills, it's very hard and an incredibly long process to become an immigrant (a lot of people are here on non-immigrant visas, so extra money if you want to try to change path to immigrant).

At the time of Ellis Island you basically just needed to show up at the border and prove you had no major disease. 80% of people were out of Ellis Island within a few hours.
https://www.history.com/news/immigra...01907%20alone.

Most of the illegals that arrive today are those 80%, back then would have been allowed to just get in.
I am not advocating for the government to just let any immigrant in, the situation in 2020 is completely different from 1920 but still. It hard and it costs money to come to the US legally, especially if you go all the way from non-immigrant status to naturalization.

Last edited by Lampert; 09-16-2022 at 09:46 AM..

Old 09-16-2022, 09:58 AM

26,665 posts, read 28,797,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I came here in the '00s and people that came pre 9/11 told me how much easier it was to immigrate. The requirements were minimal back then.
It's hard now when you have no familial ties and, especially when you have no special skills, it's very hard and an incredibly long process to become an immigrant (a lot of people are here on non-immigrant visas, so extra money if you want to try to change path to immigrant).

At the time of Ellis Island you basically just needed to show up at the border and prove you had no major disease. 80% of people were out of Ellis Island within a few hours.
https://www.history.com/news/immigra...01907%20alone.

Most of the illegals that arrive today are those 80%, back then would have been allowed to just get in.
I am not advocating for the government to just let any immigrant in, the situation in 2020 is completely different from 1920 but still. It hard and it costs money to come to the US legally, especially if you go all the way from non-immigrant status to naturalization.
The rules have changed over the years and they need to change again. Most Democrats want the immigration system fixed. Don't lump us in with Progressives.

Long ago it didn't matter. Loads of empty space, we needed people to settle here, no public schools that the rest of us were paying for, no health care system that the rest of us were paying for, no welfare, etc. Just wilderness, wild west and so on.

By the time my grandfather came in 1911 he had a SPONSOR who was responsible for making sure he never became a government dependent. No giveaways--neighbors gave him old furniture and helped him get settled. Next year he had earned enough to send for the wife and kids--traveled 3rd class on a ship. We needed factory workers back then. He worked in a factory.

Today you need a SPONSOR and it is very hard and expensive to get in. They need to make it easier to get in and still make sure everyone is identified and legal and will not sponge off the system. Probably make allowances for true asylum seekers whose lives are in danger. I despise DeSantis but sanctuary cities can get what they deserve for breaking our (admittedly too tough) immigration laws. Change the law.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:58 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,016,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Attempting voting fraud?
Not surprised.
It’s all ok to vote twice if you are a republican.
I was gonna try to do it the Democrat way.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:05 AM

16,755 posts, read 8,485,502 times
Default anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The rules have changed over the years and they need to change again. Most Democrats want the immigration system fixed. Don't lump us in with Progressives.

Long ago it didn't matter. Loads of empty space, we needed people to settle here, no public schools that the rest of us were paying for, no health care system that the rest of us were paying for, no welfare, etc. Just wilderness, wild west and so on.

By the time my grandfather came in 1911 he had a SPONSOR who was responsible for making sure he never became a government dependent. No giveaways--neighbors gave him old furniture and helped him get settled. Next year he had earned enough to send for the wife and kids--traveled 3rd class on a ship. We needed factory workers back then. He worked in a factory.

Today you need a SPONSOR and it is very hard and expensive to get in. They need to make it easier to get in and still make sure everyone is identified and legal and will not sponge off the system. Probably make allowances for true asylum seekers whose lives are in danger. I despise DeSantis but sanctuary cities can get what they deserve for breaking our (admittedly too tough) immigration laws. Change the law.
+1

Everyone seems to think we have all these jobs that all these immigrant folks are lined up to do. There are no factory jobs left, there are few jobs one can get when they have no skills in this country. A cashier at stop and shop or Mcdonalds? All these immigrants come here and they need to be educated and trained the same way anyone already here does.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:20 AM

16,755 posts, read 8,485,502 times
Ha

https://tbdailynews.com/top-11-comme...h-50-migrants/

Old 09-16-2022, 10:22 AM

12,965 posts, read 22,148,333 times
The media coverage on this is case study in the differences in how left and right wing media tell the same story. The Globe paints a heartwarming picture of a community rising up and banding together to help people in need who were duped and stranded somewhere they don't want to be. Conservative media (Breitbart and Fox in particular) are painting a picture of a community of outraged, hypocritical "elites" who are panicking about how to handle this crisis and can't wait to get these migrants off of their pristine island.

The reality of course, is somewhere in the middle. These migrants were absolutely tricked purely for aspirational political purposes and sent somewhere without the infrastructure in place to accommodate them and without the opportunity that they were seeking when they came to this country. A large group of volunteers and officials did rally to provide assistance on short notice, and it was unquestionably an inhumane and self-serving move on the part of DeSantis. On the other hand, there are certainly out of touch officials (calling the arrival of 50 migrants a "humanitarian crisis" is out of touch and an overreaction) and there are absolutely are islanders who definitely don't want migrants coming to the island and can't wait to get them out of there. So there are shades of truth on both sides, but neither is telling anything other than the story their audience wants to hear.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:22 AM

6,329 posts, read 5,188,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I hope he runs. I’ll vote twice for him if I can.
How to say "I'm a racist" without saying "I'm a racist".

Old 09-16-2022, 10:25 AM

6,329 posts, read 5,188,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
The kids of these migrants have ruined universities here as well. They have overtaken scholarships, have to let them in based on a, b, c to fill our quotas.
How absurd. The kids of immigrants are typically overachievers who set the academic bar! Ain't no quotas when it comes to surviving college and coming out with a 4-yr degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts