Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2022, 09:02 AM

14,987 posts, read 9,917,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The point the seems to escape you is that this isn't a situation that cannot be prevented. It's one we instigate and fuel in a myriad of ways, from our drug craze coupled with horrific drug policies, to our foreign policy and CIA involvement in foreign nations, to our purposefully difficult legal immigration policies.

Just like the increasing strength of hurricanes is one we've instigated, and can help prevent. But we choose not to.

Heck, for that matter, our institutionalizing huge swaths of the population in "detention centers" unlike any other western nation is also something that can be prevented. We choose not to.

We LOVE to say, well, we can't prevent something and we just have to deal with it, because we don't have the actual will to change and prevent the preventable.

The only lesson that was given to MV, in case they didn't know already, is that DeSantis is a truly horrific person with zero moral values and a complete disregard for human life.
I guess trying to understand it for you is a task beyond my capacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 09:08 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,090,367 times
Quote:
Of course the Dems have blame, they've become a firmly center right neoliberal party. We have no diversity in candidates for the most part, except for a couple at the National level, every politician is firmly right of center on the Western political gradient. They've used the CIA to destabilize Central and South American nations, often for the benefit of big business, for generations. I don't see many dems shipping people here legally around like cattle. And of course big business loves undocumented immigrants (though that has nothing to do with what this thread is about) as they're large supplies of cheap labor, I've mentioned that several times in this thread.

Koomin isn't a climate scientist, he is a physicist. I'd go to him for opinions on climate as quickly as I would on vaccines. Asking questions is great. Qualified people asking questions. When you get otherwise very intelligent people asking questions well outside their field, they often ask the wrong questions and/or are unable to accurately critique and examine the responses. They also often promote fringe opinions and give them equal weight. I'm not saying this of Koomin in particular, as I've not read the book, but there is no reason to. Read a book from climate scientists for information on climate. I'd say the same across the political spectrum, for example, Noam Chomsky. Go to him for information on linguistics, not foreign policy.
Comrade, what are you doing in this rethuglican repugnican right of center capitalist cesspool? Head on over to Venezuela or North Korea where everyone is as left as you can possibly imagine, just as you want!

Old 10-13-2022, 09:28 AM

6,325 posts, read 5,231,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
You have to stop the cut artery from bleeding before you mop the blood off the floor.

The border wall and electronics were the first step to resolving the open border. The security of a border wall was the fist step required before a comprehensive immigration policy could be discussed.

Dems refused Trump's daca offer even after he allowed more illegals to be covered than dems asked for.

Bet you believe the border is closed.

Look at the numbers under trump and you defend Biden's abandoned border policy, its disease distribution across the country, drugs and financing the global drug cartels?????????
Please do enlighten us on what Trump's DACA offer was...other than to say "no f***ing way"?

Old 10-13-2022, 09:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,157,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I guess trying to understand it for you is a task beyond my capacity.
I have a tendency not to understand factually incorrect claims and intellectually bereft analogies. I will admit, on this forum, its a hindrance.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I have a tendency not to understand factually incorrect claims and intellectually bereft analogies. I will admit, on this forum, its a hindrance.
Hear, hear!

Old 10-13-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Please do enlighten us on what Trump's DACA offer was...other than to say "no f***ing way"?
In an ideal world the offer should be as follows:

Educated, productive, tax-paying member of the society? Passport is at window A, jury duty next week at window B!

Unproductive drain on taxpayer dinero***? Bienvenidos a Mexico, do not come back soon!

***bbbbbut they pay saaaaaales tax excuse does not count

Old 10-13-2022, 10:00 AM

21,831 posts, read 13,039,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I mean white flight didn't happen in the areas the biotech/pharma companies are in now. White flight was out of places like Dorchester, Hyde park, roslindale, southie, west rox. Now many have returned to those places.
Yes but into extremely myopic to think that biopharma and tech would be here if the city as a whole didn't balance its books, bring crime down, see new businesses investments and become more expensive and desirable. If Boston didn't get a handle on crime and abandonment then RE values all over the place would've remained suppressed and underdeveloped or businesses that cannot afford astronomical RE but could afford cheap RE would have eventually cropped up.

Remember places like Allston, Somerville and East Cambridge had a ton of townies and were extremely underdeveloped and still had very serious issues of property crime too. We just don't think of them that way anymore. Tha'ts why the tech companies initially popped up on the 128 belts anyway. Or at least a significant part of the reason.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yes but into extremely myopic to think that biopharma and tech would be here if the city as a whole didn't balance its books, bring crime down, see new businesses investments and become more expensive and desirable. If Boston didn't get a handle on crime and abandonment then RE values all over the place would've remained suppressed and underdeveloped or businesses that cannot afford astronomical RE but could afford cheap RE would have eventually cropped up.

Remember places like Allston, Somerville and East Cambridge had a ton of townies and were extremely underdeveloped and still had very serious issues of property crime too. We just don't think of them that way anymore. Tha'ts why the tech companies initially popped up on the 128 belts anyway. Or at least a significant part of the reason.
Homie, it wasn't the asylum jefe, asylum herd that gentrified Somerville. If you want to see what happens when we let in too many look no farther than Lawrence.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
In an ideal world the offer should be as follows:

Educated, productive, tax-paying member of the society? Passport is at window A, jury duty next week at window B!

Unproductive drain on taxpayer dinero***? Bienvenidos a Mexico, do not come back soon!

***bbbbbut they pay saaaaaales tax excuse does not count
Are you even familiar with DACA people? Some of them are even in Ivy League schools.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:09 AM

17,063 posts, read 8,685,515 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Homie, it wasn't the asylum jefe, asylum herd that gentrified Somerville. If you want to see what happens when we let in too many look no farther than Lawrence.
It was college grads that gentrified somerville...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts