Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2022, 12:42 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,332,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Oh, I'm not talking about that....the majority of people who live in Lawrence certainly are not homeowners. They live in encampments under bridges, etc.

Wow! A city of 80,000 all living in cardboard boxes under bridges. Who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 12:47 PM

16,617 posts, read 8,340,018 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
We’re in the middle of a hiring crisis especially at lower levels and we all time low unemployment. ***Obviously*** there’s plenty unskilled jobs available in the service industry lmfao.

And obviously buildings still need cleaning and grass needs cutting. For every lab or apartment that opens up it means more janitors, security, and other unskilled staff. Every Starbucks that opens need more unskilled staff. Many home improvement projects utilize unskilled staff.

Why do you think Massachusetts led all 50 states in its increase in illegal immigrants from 07-‘17? I’m just a little curious as to your theory on that….
But so many of these positions continue to go unfilled. It all seems to be in the restaurant industry as well which is interesting. The prices and wait times continue to climb, people are expected to tip more for less. Why does no one want to work at a restaurant these days?

Cleaning services jobs are very valuable. It's never something that can be outsourced or that a place can go without. Many institutions take good care of their cleaning...but it's a crappy job that people really only take because they have to. At least it's a job that tends to have benefits.

Old 10-13-2022, 12:58 PM

21,743 posts, read 12,873,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
But so many of these positions continue to go unfilled. It all seems to be in the restaurant industry as well which is interesting. The prices and wait times continue to climb, people are expected to tip more for less. Why does no one want to work at a restaurant these days?
They go unfilled because its expensive to live here and the jobs are both physical and demanding. Still, if you had more underemployed illegals in Boston they'd take those jobs. They are already there as is. When I worked at Park Plaza as security nobody, almost not a soul in the kitchen (next to the security office) spoke English except one black American guy, and he was always trying to hang with us.

Not saying Boston needs more illegal immigrants but it doesn't need to worry about that issue in general. If Mass. built more there be nothing tot alk about.

Old 10-13-2022, 01:07 PM

3,686 posts, read 1,893,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Glad I could shed some light for you on how rosy things are in Lawrence! https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news...y-municipality

Old 10-13-2022, 01:29 PM

6,230 posts, read 5,138,645 times
Quote:
They're all nameless, faceless, brown masses after all.

Old 10-13-2022, 01:29 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,079,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
But they dont really have immigrants either.

Google and Facebook arent in Boston.

But in general, I'm pretty sure St. Louis has more Fortune 500 businesses than Boston. It isnt all economy that makes places popular or grow. You certainly dont need biopharma- just look at Las Vegas.

As wel all know.. Boston MSA and Massachusetts would have lost ~1 million people over the last 50 years were it no for immigration. The immigrants are therefore directly fueling the expensive COL. Same as SF, NYC and Miami.
Immigration - homie, you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means. Or rather you know perfectly well what it means but you've got a hustle to hustle.

Old 10-13-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Glad I could shed some light for you on how rosy things are in Lawrence! https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news...y-municipality
What benefit is there in picking on communities like Lawrence? The homeless are a problem in nearly EVERY urban area in America.

Old 10-13-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Immigration - homie, you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means. Or rather you know perfectly well what it means but you've got a hustle to hustle.
I think you need the refresher on what immigration means, bro. There's nothing implied in the definition about whether they come through legal means or not.

Old 10-13-2022, 01:57 PM

12,574 posts, read 9,665,004 times
Quote:
Oh, come on now - I don't know if that's supposed to be a joke, but the majority of people in Lawrence aren't living under bridges. Lawrence has problems, it has for a long time, but you're exaggerating them by 100X.

Old 10-13-2022, 02:11 PM

21,743 posts, read 12,873,217 times
Quote:
Not all just “the majority”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts