Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 10:17 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,666,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Sounds you're talking about NYC and Boston folks who buy a 2nd home in VT. I'm talking about the natives.

VT is fairly reliant on the tourism/ski industry. How do they really get screwed over by the elites? If anything those people give them business. There's not that many rich elites looking to own a home in VT these days either.
Because they dominate the political scene and then hinder development which, in turn, limits jobs and other opportunities. The elites want the place to be their sanctuary and work toward that end. I think people can be not complete materialists and consumer whores, without necessarily being "simple." The lower and middle classes are subject to the politics of the elite, from what I've seen. And they get shafted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 10:43 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
VT can be anyone's sanctuary really. Just rent a place for a weekend. VT in the winter is not my kind of sanctuary but it might be someone else's.

I can't speak to the elites getting involved in politics there and limiting jobs really. VT has always been a remote place but there's more action around places like Burlington and Stowe. Montpelier is the capital but there's not much happening there as far as a scene. Why anyone would want it to become more populated like MA or even NH, I don't know. Not all states are meant to be thriving metropolises pumping out money and making people rich.

I once saw a T-shirt that said, 'keep Vermont weird' and i guess i agree. I like it the way it is....but again I dont live there.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:12 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Not that I was stressed, quite the opposite, but I left MA due to the Winters and COL. Traffic was also on my list.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:19 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Not that I was stressed, quite the opposite, but I left MA due to the Winters and COL. Traffic was also on my list.
Those things didn't stress you out? Clearly they annoyed you enough that you left.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:23 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Traffic is my number one stressor about living in MA and I don't even have to endure a daily commute to an office! Some routes and/or sections of towns/cities, no matter the hour of day seem to always be clogged with traffic. More clogged roads with a variety of different driving styles=more road rage. If someone stops to let me go when I have my blinker on (even if they have the right of way) I always want to hop out of my car to give them a gift card or something as a token of my appreciation and tell them how nice of a human they are! It's great when it happens but it is rare and definitely doesn't make up for the large number of completely entitled a**holes that follow their own rules on the road.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
VT can be anyone's sanctuary really. Just rent a place for a weekend. VT in the winter is not my kind of sanctuary but it might be someone else's.

I can't speak to the elites getting involved in politics there and limiting jobs really. VT has always been a remote place but there's more action around places like Burlington and Stowe. Montpelier is the capital but there's not much happening there as far as a scene. Why anyone would want it to become more populated like MA or even NH, I don't know. Not all states are meant to be thriving metropolises pumping out money and making people rich.

I once saw a T-shirt that said, 'keep Vermont weird' and i guess i agree. I like it the way it is....but again I dont live there.
There is an in-between between over-populated and so under-developed that people can't thrive.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:40 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
There is an in-between between over-populated and so under-developed that people can't thrive.
The way i see it this is why a lot of people find it a nice place to visit but not live there full time. There are less 'elite' folks with vacation homes there than you might think.

The ones that do live there year round obviously find a way to make it work. I know a few folks that live there full time and are employed by universities or hospitals.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:43 PM

Yeah, the ones who move there with employment/skills are in a different position than the natives. There are many elities who have moved there and many more since COVID.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:47 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times
Quote:
Haha, there are many people in VT who aren't "simple." Reality is the natives get screwed by the elites from NY and Southern New England who move there and take the F over.
just like what is happening in NH. except its people from Ma. Ct, and NY buying property sight unseen and paying cash and then wanting their rules and their zoning forced upon the natives of NH.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:47 PM

Default re

Quote:
Yeah, the ones who move there with employment/skills are in a different position than the natives. There are many elities who have moved there and many more since COVID.
Ok, well I personally don't know anyone who moved to VT during covid. I'm sure people did but I dont think the state saw a huge influx. From what I understand NH did, but NH seems to be a very different state than NH. If VT was a place people really wanted to live they'd have been moving there before covid.

Many of the people I am referring to that are nurses and work at the universities were born in VT...they didn't move there.

VT is definitely a different way of life. Most people I know that live there year round love being outdoors even when it's freezing. You kind of have to embrace the cold or else you're probably one of the people that moves out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts