Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 12:49 PM

5,109 posts, read 2,666,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Ok, well I personally don't know anyone who moved to VT during covid. I'm sure people did but I dont think the state saw a huge influx. From what I understand NH did, but NH seems to be a very different state than NH. If VT was a place people really wanted to live they'd have been moving there before covid.

Many of the people I am referring to that are nurses and work at the universities were born in VT...they didn't move there.

VT is definitely a different way of life. Most people I know that live there year round love being outdoors even when it's freezing. You kind of have to embrace the cold or else you're probably one of the people that moves out of there.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...covid-pandemic

And they were moving there before Covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 12:58 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
VT is still the 2nd least populated state after Wyoming. A few years ago they were trying to pay people to move there:

https://vtdigger.org/2022/01/07/chan...0on%20Economic

Old 10-19-2022, 01:11 PM

I never said it a booming metropolis. Quite the contrary in fact. That was pretty much my point.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Haha, there are many people in VT who aren't "simple." Reality is the natives get screwed by the elites from NY and Southern New England who move there and take the F over.
When did this occur?

Old 10-19-2022, 01:40 PM

I actually know of a person from upstate NY who moved to VT after getting a divorce. The mother moved back to VT with the son and he moved to stay close to him. The guy hated VT, only moved there for his son but seems to love it now. He is very outdoorsy, hunts and cooks all of his own food, tries to use as little heat and electricity as possible (they have solar panels). He certainly didn't come piling into VT looking to change the state...if anything he adapted better than some of the locals.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:45 PM

There are places all over New England that wealthy people have bought second homes or moved to. Most of those places are seasonal..if someone owns a home anywhere aren't they paying taxes to the state?

I can see where native people in NH or even FL are annoyed with the constant influx of people moving in. I would go nuts.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:51 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Most of the business owners in the Vermont resort towns are out of staters. It's really tough for a local to create enough capital to open a business. They're not "rich" but they typically have equity from the home they sold in the flatlands and a cash cushion from savings/investment from their flatland job. I can think of a bunch of people with that life story.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:55 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Most of the business owners in the Vermont resort towns are out of staters. It's really tough for a local to create enough capital to open a business. They're not "rich" but they typically have equity from the home they sold in the flatlands and a cash cushion from savings/investment from their flatland job. I can think of a bunch of people with that life story.
I can too, but all that I know did so post Act 250, which was what, 1970. So, if that is what holds up much business creation / investment / progress / job growth in VT (and many claim that it does), those so called Elites that prevented job growth did so over 50 years ago.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
just like what is happening in NH. except its people from Ma. Ct, and NY buying property sight unseen and paying cash and then wanting their rules and their zoning forced upon the natives of NH.
Yeah, I mean if your goal is to maintain an oasis and enclave there isn't much room for employment opportunities for working people to make a living. Hence partially why there are so many social problems and lack of opportunities there for people who are not authors, lawyers, photographers, professors etc. During earlier times farming was big....not as much now. And certainly not enough to employ lots of people. The state is one of the largest, if not the largest, employers.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:52 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,890 times
Anyone ever get the feeling like, “There are way too many people here and it’s way too expensive. Screw it! I could move to some place like West Virginia, not have to kill myself working, and live like a king!”

Of course the only thing stopping you is the feeling that you’ll get things in order, move to wherever, then end up going, “Why the hell did I move to West Virginia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts