Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 06:50 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else heard about this?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/09/...s-this-winter/

I guess there is a problem with the natural gas supply as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 06:59 PM

16,308 posts, read 8,140,203 times
I have heard of this happening in other parts of the country. Won't surprise me if it happens here. I heard people saying it's the government doing this on purpose and other crazy conspiracies. It doesn't seem like something that should be happening in 2022 especially with price increases but here we are.

Old 10-20-2022, 07:10 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I have heard of this happening in other parts of the country. Won't surprise me if it happens here. I heard people saying it's the government doing this on purpose and other crazy conspiracies. It doesn't seem like something that should be happening in 2022 especially with price increases but here we are.
There are a lot of nuts out there. You had people claiming that Hurricane Ian was sent to Florida by "the Deep State", controlling the weather. You can't reason with kooks though.

"We understand that the 'deep state,' they have weather manipulation technology," [DeAnna] Lorraine said on her Telegram show, per a clip posted by the group on Friday, referring to the hurricane that struck the Sunshine State. "These huge hurricanes always seem to target red states, red districts, and always at a convenient time — typically right before elections," she added.

Old 10-20-2022, 07:28 PM

5,093 posts, read 2,656,710 times
They've been forecasting this for a while now.

How many pipeline projects have our wonderful pols rejected? You get what you vote for. Hail the Holy Green New Deal zealots.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 10-20-2022 at 07:40 PM..

Old 10-20-2022, 08:02 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
The government, specifically local and state governments, did do this on purpose. Remember all of those gas pipelines that didn’t get built? This is what happens. The US has a robust and high-capacity gas network. We are a six hour drive from one of the largest gas producing regions in the world. We just have chosen to not avail ourselves of it.

Idealists thought that restricting supply would speed up adoption of cleaner alternatives. The problem isn’t willingness to adopt those alternatives, though. The problem is the total capacity of the available alternatives, particularly in winter. A winter of rolling blackouts may be what is needed to not let high-minded long-term goals get in the way of intelligent short- and middle-term planning.

https://www.eenews.net/articles/kind...pipeline-plan/

Old 10-20-2022, 08:07 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
They've been forecasting this for a while now.

How many pipeline projects have our wonderful pols rejected? You get what you vote for. Hail the Holy Green New Deal zealots.

And their #1 queen is going to be our next governor. Good times ahead.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:18 PM

16,308 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Let's just keep on bringing in hundreds of thousands of others from 3rd world countries though.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:24 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,730,097 times
More reason to go solar with battery.

Old 10-20-2022, 10:35 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,961 times
This won't happen. We will pay dearly for a lack of planning and investment but rolling blackouts aren't on the table. We are inching closer and closer to that possibility every year as the capacity margins get whittled away by plant closures and mandated energy mixes. Building too many gas plants and not enough supply only leads to a very predictable outcome.

I will say with over a decade in the utility and generation business I have absolutely no idea how immigration is even remotely relevant. I've seen dozens of studies and reports and can't think of a single one that references immigration.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:02 AM

12,379 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
The government, specifically local and state governments, did do this on purpose. Remember all of those gas pipelines that didn’t get built? This is what happens. The US has a robust and high-capacity gas network. We are a six hour drive from one of the largest gas producing regions in the world. We just have chosen to not avail ourselves of it.

Idealists thought that restricting supply would speed up adoption of cleaner alternatives. The problem isn’t willingness to adopt those alternatives, though. The problem is the total capacity of the available alternatives, particularly in winter. A winter of rolling blackouts may be what is needed to not let high-minded long-term goals get in the way of intelligent short- and middle-term planning.

https://www.eenews.net/articles/kind...pipeline-plan/
But, rather than a government conspiracy to engineer rolling blackouts here, those articles describe plenty of grass-roots opposition from residents of both MA and NH - including NIMBYs who don't want their private land used and citizens supporting rights of refusal from NIMBYs, *and* environmentalists who want to reduce fossil fuel burning by squeezing supply... and then politicians at local and state levels in MA and NH, and even the national level, who are no doubt influenced by all the citizen opposition.

Personally, I thought that opposition was wrong-headed - natural gas is a fossil fuel generating greenhouse gases when burned, but, it generates half the CO2 per kWh of power versus coal, and it generates far less in terms of unburned hydrocarbons and fine particulates (soot), so not that bad, plus, at the present time, we only have so much in the way of green alternatives.

While building more wind and solar, I think we also need to embrace natural gas power plants and the far safer next generation nuclear plants. We're going to need more electricity - that was an inescapable fact *before* we were transitioning to EVs and low temperature heat pumps, and it's only *more* clear with that tidal shift underway. Wind and solar are intermittent power sources, and they can't take over 100% of power generation - even if we could have them all built tomorrow. We can do a lot more wind and solar than we have today, but environmentalists still have to be pragmatic, or they *will* be facing rolling blackouts and shivering winter temps inside their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts