Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 08:19 AM

6,480 posts, read 7,835,220 times

Advertisements

Guessing a lot have heard that Cambridge is banning right turns on red lights. It's a busy place so I personally agree but it does bring up the many other areas that are busy (e.g. Parts of Brookline, Boston Proper, etc.). I know, some corners already dissalow it with signs and such. Just might be something worth considering overall for some other busy towns/cities. I mean there are plenty of corners in Cambridge that are not so busy but it is an overall ban.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...red-cambridge/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 08:22 AM

5,172 posts, read 2,741,830 times
Cambridge actively enforces its traffic laws. Boston generally does not. And, given their manpower problem, likely won't be doing a lot of traffic enforcement over the near future.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:30 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,758,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Cambridge actively enforces its traffic laws. Boston generally does not. And, given their manpower problem, likely won't be doing a lot of traffic enforcement over the near future.
Traffic rules are optional in Boston. People run so many red lights, drive the opposite way on one way streets, do illegal U-turns. I never see them get pulled over.

Old 11-14-2022, 09:53 AM

1,903 posts, read 1,417,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Cambridge actively enforces its traffic laws.
Ummm, Cambridge absolutely does NOT actively enforce traffic laws. I have been part of city meetings (accessible to all vie the open meeting portal), where this has been acknowledged and discussed. CPD feels that however they enforce traffic laws, they will be accused of bias. Therefore traffic laws are rarely enforced in the city.

Old 11-14-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Ummm, Cambridge absolutely does NOT actively enforce traffic laws. I have been part of city meetings (accessible to all vie the open meeting portal), where this has been acknowledged and discussed. CPD feels that however they enforce traffic laws, they will be accused of bias. Therefore traffic laws are rarely enforced in the city.
I could see how that would now be a recent trend. Historically, though, you're much more likely to have been stopped for a traffic violation in Cambridge than in Boston.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:44 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,425,591 times
What are the state laws that govern what a city is allowed to do, as far as local variations from overall laws are concerned? I mean, if the state traffic regulations say "Right turn on red is legal except where a sign specifically forbids it" then can Cambridge say "We don't need 'No turn on red' signs, except when you enter our city"? Or maybe Cambridge will just put up the signs on every traffic light anyway, so they'd be conforming to the law. That'll cost some money, but if they can afford the traffic lights, I suppose they can spend a few bucks more to put up the signs.

Old 11-14-2022, 09:51 PM

6,325 posts, read 5,201,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Guessing a lot have heard that Cambridge is banning right turns on red lights. It's a busy place so I personally agree but it does bring up the many other areas that are busy (e.g. Parts of Brookline, Boston Proper, etc.). I know, some corners already dissalow it with signs and such. Just might be something worth considering overall for some other busy towns/cities. I mean there are plenty of corners in Cambridge that are not so busy but it is an overall ban.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...red-cambridge/
I bet this has to do with the concurrent push for bike lanes throughout Cambridge. Right turns are already dangerous to bicyclists, right turns on red, even more so.

Old 11-15-2022, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
What are the state laws that govern what a city is allowed to do, as far as local variations from overall laws are concerned? I mean, if the state traffic regulations say "Right turn on red is legal except where a sign specifically forbids it" then can Cambridge say "We don't need 'No turn on red' signs, except when you enter our city"? Or maybe Cambridge will just put up the signs on every traffic light anyway, so they'd be conforming to the law. That'll cost some money, but if they can afford the traffic lights, I suppose they can spend a few bucks more to put up the signs.
The state law says you may turn right on red except where otherwise directed by a police officer, device or sign. I don't think a state court will uphold a ticket issued under that law if it's not posted. I suppose they could issue city ordinance violations, but that would be ridiculous. NYC and DC also ban right on red. This proposal is the result of too many drivers of cars, and bikes, who do not pay close attention to their driving. At some point we need to get at the roots of problems rather than legislate ourselves out of them.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:12 AM

448 posts, read 284,263 times
Put no turn on red signs at all lights in cambridge. Enforce the rules.

Old 11-15-2022, 06:37 AM

1,903 posts, read 1,417,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
Put no turn on red signs at all lights in cambridge.
They will

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
Enforce the rules.
They won't

Cambridge is all about optics and PR. The right on red ordinance will be enforced about as much as the city wide speed limit instituted several years ago has been (not at all).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts