Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 07:09 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

But the important question - is he here illegally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 07:36 PM

16,398 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Yes he is.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:59 PM

Since we're talking about car accidents i came across this also on the south shore :

https://www.wcvb.com/amp/article/coh...crash/42042619

Things like this make my blood boil. People just suck. The roads out there (and parking lots I guess) really are hazardous these days.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:06 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
But the important question - is he here illegally?
I mean, wouldn’t an illegal floor it if someone starts blasting ICE, ICE baby?

Old 11-22-2022, 08:17 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Since we're talking about car accidents i came across this also on the south shore :

https://www.wcvb.com/amp/article/coh...crash/42042619

Things like this make my blood boil. People just suck. The roads out there (and parking lots I guess) really are hazardous these days.
If the driver was in a vehicle like a Volvo that was equipped with animal and pedestrian detection technology that dog would probably still be alive.

Old 11-23-2022, 03:43 AM

448 posts, read 282,292 times
From what I heard, somehow, his right foot got stuck on the gas (I guess I can kind of see a foot stepping on gas, stuck under brake pedal?)

And he tried to use his left foot to hit the brakes.

If that is the case, I can see panic in your head, and not pay attention to where you are going....

Old 11-23-2022, 04:34 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
From what I heard, somehow, his right foot got stuck on the gas (I guess I can kind of see a foot stepping on gas, stuck under brake pedal?)

And he tried to use his left foot to hit the brakes.

If that is the case, I can see panic in your head, and not pay attention to where you are going....
That still doesn't make sense. Brakes are always stronger than the accelerator. If you have your foot on both then it's impossible to go 50mph. Brakes always win.

Old 11-23-2022, 06:28 AM

It doesn't make sense to me either. Never in my life has my foot gotten stuck like that. If that happened he could have turned to the right to head out of the lot and not directly at a glass building filled with people. I guess that's what makes it seem crazier. The odds of getting your foot stuck like that and the odds of veering into a glass building.

He is going through a divorce or recently divorced, recent oui. The truth may never come out on why he really did this but I don't think his foot got stuck.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:12 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
According to the DA he was questioned as to why he was driving around the lot....he claims he didn't know the plaza as he had not been there more than one time before and that his foot got stuck on the gas when he passed by Barnes and Noble.

Video shows he was travelling at a high rate of speed through that entire travel lane. Also, the fact he was arrested and taken to court in cuffscharged with Reckless MVH speaks for itself and got $100K cash bail speaks volumes.

He was not eligible for a court appointed attorney,moved to Hingham in the last 18 months and is an unemployed softwares salesman.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:31 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
That still doesn't make sense. Brakes are always stronger than the accelerator. If you have your foot on both then it's impossible to go 50mph. Brakes always win.
If you're wearing something like bulky steel toe work boots, I can absolutely see them getting wedged underneath the brake pedal, forcing the accelerator to the floor and simultaneously making it impossible to press the brake (since the boot is in the way and has zero give).

After reading more, it appears that law enforcement is treating this like criminal negligence rather than an intentional act (at least for the time being). I can see that. Even if the stars aligned perfectly and it accidentally played out like he said (which I'm still a little skeptical of), they'd argue that he could have avoided catastrophe. For starters, it takes over 8 seconds for this SUV to go from 0-60. 8 seconds is an eternity in terms of time to react. If he couldn't get his foot unwedged in that span (which would be surprising) they'll argue that his choice of footwear was a hazard. Knocking the shifter from "Drive" into "Neutral" takes a split second and would have avoided the whole thing. And finally, they might argue that he could have steered the vehicle into a more substantial part of the building (a brick pillar or solid wall) or even into parked cars rather than the giant glass front of the Apple Store.

Probably a tough one for all involved. Victims and their families will want accountability and while there's plenty the driver could have done, some people just freeze under pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts