Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 10:56 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
I live on the state line in westford ma. I do a lot shopping in NH though

Westford borders NH???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 11:03 AM

5,114 posts, read 2,672,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Westford borders NH???
Not really, but it's a stone's throw to Nashua.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
We may end up in this camp. We'd like to eventually move out of our condo in Boston (and keep it as a rental property) and into a single family that's still walkable to transit, shopping, dining, entertainment, etc. We can't touch places like Somerville. We'd love Salem or Beverly, but unless something changes, we might end up priced out of there too. On the other hand, we can do pretty well in Providence and it's a city we know and love. It's becoming clearer that we'll have some level of hybrid flexibility and with what we want remaining out of reach in Salem or Beverly, we're starting to strongly consider Providence. Obviously before 2020, Providence wasn't an option due to the commute. I think there are a lot of people who are in a similar boat. I know several people who have bought in New Hampshire and Southern Maine because of remote/hybrid flexibility. The people I personally know buying inside of 128 are either very successful or have some big time help from their family.
No shortage of people making this commute daily, then and now!

Old 12-21-2022, 11:14 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
We may end up in this camp. We'd like to eventually move out of our condo in Boston (and keep it as a rental property) and into a single family that's still walkable to transit, shopping, dining, entertainment, etc. We can't touch places like Somerville. We'd love Salem or Beverly, but unless something changes, we might end up priced out of there too. On the other hand, we can do pretty well in Providence and it's a city we know and love. It's becoming clearer that we'll have some level of hybrid flexibility and with what we want remaining out of reach in Salem or Beverly, we're starting to strongly consider Providence. Obviously before 2020, Providence wasn't an option due to the commute. I think there are a lot of people who are in a similar boat. I know several people who have bought in New Hampshire and Southern Maine because of remote/hybrid flexibility. The people I personally know buying inside of 128 are either very successful or have some big time help from their family.
Providence is the move. I recently drove out to Lowell from Chelsea. Hadn't been to Lowell in a decade. The drive out there!? From the northern side of Boston (Chelsea) was still very long without traffic (I think it was Saturday at like 730pm)..wow wow wow. Might as well live in Providence cheaper and have much more to offer.

Especially for someone from the Southside of the city like me. No Brainer. I have many friends and family who have done so.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:21 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No shortage of people making this commute daily, then and now!
Oh definitely. But after getting comfortable with 15 minute work commutes, I couldn’t do a daily PVD-BOS commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Providence is the move. I recently drove out to Lowell from Chelsea. Hadn't been to Lowell in a decade. The drive out there!? From the northern side of Boston (Chelsea) was still very long without traffic (I think it was Saturday at like 730pm)..wow wow wow. Might as well live in Providence cheaper and have much more to offer.

Especially for someone from the Southside of the city like me. No Brainer. I have many friends and family who have done so.
Yeah, for me it’s also closer to friends and family. Salem would be ideal from a commute standpoint (I’m near North Station - easy commuter rail trip), but Providence gets more appealing by the day.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:29 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
I've argued about population for a while but I think it's important to know that density is also another Factor at play and not all places of any state can grow. For example Pittsfield has been on a decline since about 1965 so it's not that surprising. The Berkshires as a whole has been on a decline since the 1970s. You want to have a place growing and if that doesn't happen it makes a little bit harder. Even with flatness that simply means that you're going to have people aging out and that's not good in long run. If you actually have shrinking that's where it gets to be even harder to tame inflation. Some of this does come across with the Trump Administration due to restrictions on immigration but even with covid changing and with a new president the amount of new international students is still not come back to what it was before.

It's someone related but I'll also argue that there isn't that much for new starter homes in the state. Especially when you go further out. So if you want to have more space you're either paying a higher rent so you simply moving further out.

I think we can easily infer that the overall cost of living is a significant factor otherwise we wouldn't have seen that much of an exodus to New Hampshire. Florida to a lesser degree but that also has much better weather or at least until the AC bills show up

Old 12-21-2022, 11:43 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Incomes are much higher in the Bay Area though.. like Oakland has a higher median household income than Boston does..
That's probably just because of the higher number of single family household (students) in Boston.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:50 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
That's probably just because of the higher number of single family household (students) in Boston.
Its not.

Child poverty is higher and family income in Boston are also lower. Objectively.
https://data.census.gov/table?q=bost...00000US0653000

The average family in Oakland makes 102k. The average family in Boston makes 92k. Right there^ 2021 data, Boston is just way more socially bifurcated an balkanized so the struggle of Boston's underclass is much less in your face to people on the outside of it.

Oakland also has a ton of college students living there fwiw. Housing costs are lower than in Boston too. There's a reason Oakland is gentrifying.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:53 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
I like MA, but i'll be honest that if i can get paid the same as I do now in a remote-type job, or find an in-person job in the same pay range elsewhere, that I would be tempted to leave.

It's not that I hate MA. But it's tempting to think i can sell my home here, and likely buy a mansion elsewhere. I'd also love to just escape winter. Snow is fun. But those 20 degree or less dark dreary days get old after a while.

Old 12-21-2022, 12:03 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I like MA, but i'll be honest that if i can get paid the same as I do now in a remote-type job, or find an in-person job in the same pay range elsewhere, that I would be tempted to leave.

It's not that I hate MA. But it's tempting to think i can sell my home here, and likely buy a mansion elsewhere. I'd also love to just escape winter. Snow is fun. But those 20 degree or less dark dreary days get old after a while.
Agree. It's crazy what kind of home you can get in other states for so much less than here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts