Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 11:27 AM

5,100 posts, read 2,661,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Which most Venezuelans would have as well, with the 100+ years of our bleeping with their country and working to destablize it.

And I didn't say anything many or most Haitians, I was speaking specifically about the ones I spoke to who were studying to be or were CNAs/nurses.

As a percentage of the population and compared to our land mass, we take in very few immigrants legally. We WILL need to scale that up considerably.
We dont need to scale it up with masses of undocumented unskilled people.

The US has more immigrants than any other nation on the planet. Period.

You ask people directly whether they came here legally or not, huh? And still maintain that high and mighty preachy attitude? lol Otherwise you expect me to believe they just all just come right out and tell you. I've spoken with thousands of immigrants, never once been randomly told someone came here illegally. Not something someone randomly discusses.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 12-22-2022 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 11:32 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
NYC losing 500k people in three years is laughable. ... when vacancy is at an all time low and persons per household are at an all time high. Things don't add up at all.
Yea that's just not true. I was in NYC before thanksgiving. Packed like sardines in Midtown. I even called about 2 apartments in the Bronx out of curiosity- no vacancies.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:33 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
We need legal immigration, not illegal immigration. The people doing those jobs by and large came here legally.
Some do some dont. I had multiple DREAMers in my class at college they all have fantastic careers now. They were so scared of their DREAM status you wouldn't find out until Junior or Senior year. Usually in a Multicultural forum or some other sort of safe space.

While illegals may be unskilled their children they bring with them should be protected and have a chance to do some really amazing things. Regardless the US and New England in particular will need immigrants moving forward. More than what currently arrives..in order to maintain our social security system and health care system (and low tax rate).

Old 12-22-2022, 11:47 AM

5,100 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Some do some dont. I had multiple DREAMers in my class at college they all have fantastic careers now. They were so scared of their DREAM status you wouldn't find out until Junior or Senior year. Usually in a Multicultural forum or some other sort of safe space.

While illegals may be unskilled their children they bring with them should be protected and have a chance to do some really amazing things. Regardless the US and New England in particular will need immigrants moving forward. More than what currently arrives..in order to maintain our social security system and health care system (and low tax rate).
Wasn't talking about people who entered as minor children. Most migrants with employment authorization did not enter illegally. Notice I did not say "all" I said, most. I would go along with your sentiments about children, but first I want to see something codified that doesn't reward or entice people entering illegally with their children. And something that discourages chain migration with illegal origins.

Old 12-22-2022, 01:05 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,045 times
Quote:
Yea that's just not true. I was in NYC before thanksgiving. Packed like sardines in Midtown. I even called about 2 apartments in the Bronx out of curiosity- no vacancies.
I know you like population statistics like me, do you have any opinion on what I wrote here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
It seems the trend of people moving to the actual middle of nowhere (VT, ME) is slowing down fast. Possibly will reverse next year?
NH can probably sustain the growth to the proximity to Boston metro in its southern part where most people live anyway.
MA keeps bleeding some people due to high COL.
CT and RI...no idea.

Old 12-22-2022, 01:13 PM

16,345 posts, read 8,162,213 times
There's a lot of things to fix in this country before letting everyone and their mother in here. But no one will think about that. We will become a 3rd world country

Old 12-22-2022, 01:46 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
yeah there are waiting lists to just get an apartment. Even in NJ. My apartment complex is 100% full.

Every apartment complex is full and alot of the housing south down by Rutgers University are completely leased up too.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:07 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
yeah there are waiting lists to just get an apartment. Even in NJ. My apartment complex is 100% full.

Every apartment complex is full and alot of the housing south down by Rutgers University are completely leased up too.
Somehow though we are able to provide migrants who just showed up here with free housing though.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:37 PM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
We dont need to scale it up with masses of undocumented unskilled people.
But it is the undocumented folks who keep labor costs down. There's an ongoing thread on how new construction is unaffordable in MA and the main reason is shortage of such workers.

Old 12-22-2022, 03:12 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_p View Post
But it is the undocumented folks who keep labor costs down. There's an ongoing thread on how new construction is unaffordable in MA and the main reason is shortage of such workers.
Is that really the main reason though? I just don't think it is. So suddenly if we get an influx of people willing to work and help build houses, voila, the cost will be less for anyone wanting to purchase a newly built house? We'll see a significant decrease in new construction homes thanks to undocumented workers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts