Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2023, 11:34 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
In the 70's in OH I had a tri-level. As you faced the front, the left side was two story. The right side one story. Bottom left was kitchen, dining room, rec room, door to backyard, 1/2 bath, laundry. You went up 6 stairs from either the rec room or the dining rom and there was a large living room where the front door was. Up 6 more stairs to highest level that had 3 bedrooms and one full bath.

I like that lay out but now I demand one story.
I grew up in a similar trilevel. Very different from the "raised ranch" feel and layout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 11:51 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,736,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I like to think of split levels as a ranch style house with a finished basement. It's basically the same thing except lifted in the air a bit.
Except the stairway in the middle of the house limits the size of the bedrooms.

Old 04-25-2023, 12:17 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Honestly I am shocked by some of the kids behavior and I don't get the impression they are particularly smart. Lots of sitting on the phone, swearing, bratty, entitled behavior. And some of these kids are in private school, not just top public schools. Many of them have parents who own businesses who will probably work for them someday, they don't really even need the superior education they are getting. Hopefully they end up being decent people.

The kids who are helicoptered and have the parents do everything for them seem to the be ones who can't do anything themselves.

Parenting is not easy. Perhaps there are people out there who think the main ingredients are top education and an endless supply of money. Those things can't change someone's personality it seems.
That's because the parents have been teaching them for years they're worthless, can't do anything on their own, so they have to do it for them.

Old 04-25-2023, 02:26 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
That's because the parents have been teaching them for years they're worthless, can't do anything on their own, so they have to do it for them.
I don't know if that's necessarily it. It seems that many parents think that in order to be good parents they have to be involved which translates for many to being overly involved/do it for them.

Old 04-25-2023, 10:35 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,736,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I don't know if that's necessarily it. It seems that many parents think that in order to be good parents they have to be involved which translates for many to being overly involved/do it for them.
Sounds like you guys know everything about parenting. You guys should write a book and teach everyone.

Old 04-25-2023, 11:37 PM

852 posts, read 556,077 times
Some parents are just neurotic and get stressed easily, so they react to their children that way. It doesn't necessarily mean they "want to" micromanage their kid or use their kid as a proxy to fulfil their dream.

More "mature" parents know how to control themselves.

Old 04-26-2023, 06:21 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
Some parents are just neurotic and get stressed easily, so they react to their children that way. It doesn't necessarily mean they "want to" micromanage their kid or use their kid as a proxy to fulfil their dream.

More "mature" parents know how to control themselves.
I don't know if I would say maturity is a factor. I would just call it "different personality types." This being said, children are FAR more coddled/protected than I was growing up. Parents are expected to do more and provide more than when I was growing up. I do think think it kind of neuters the kids and creates less resilient adults. I'm just REALLY glad the "participation trophy" era is over. My kids are still pretty young and they don't officially keep score in their games but the kids do and there's plenty of talking about winning/losing.

Old 04-26-2023, 06:37 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Sounds like you guys know everything about parenting. You guys should write a book and teach everyone.
Sounds like you need to calm down. Making comments about the ridiculous behavior of others doesn't mean we know everything. There is some common sense involved in parenting

Old 04-26-2023, 06:43 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I don't know if I would say maturity is a factor. I would just call it "different personality types." This being said, children are FAR more coddled/protected than I was growing up. Parents are expected to do more and provide more than when I was growing up. I do think think it kind of neuters the kids and creates less resilient adults. I'm just REALLY glad the "participation trophy" era is over. My kids are still pretty young and they don't officially keep score in their games but the kids do and there's plenty of talking about winning/losing.
Yes I agree with this. I used to come home and play outside with neighborhood kids. There seems to be less of that these days. There's more for parents to do and I think that's another reason people have less kids. However I still encounter some large families and I don't know how they do it.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:03 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Back in my day...kids paid for their own college.

J/K, not trying to start a debate. But i do see a difference with regards to what kids did on their own back in the 80's and 90's when i grew up, to what is done for them now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts