Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 11:34 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olacda View Post
well, you'll need a quite big land to do ground mount i guess..
And make sure your town will allow it. Here in Burlington, the planning board implemented a bylaw that prohibits ground mounted solar in front and side yards and any array has to meet setback and height restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 02:51 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:

One comment I saw online was the warranty period.. companies offer 25 years of warranty but will they really be around in the next 25 years?
You could look at a lease system to avoid that gamble, and avoid upfront costs.

Old 01-21-2023, 03:49 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You could look at a lease system to avoid that gamble, and avoid upfront costs.
Leasing or a power generation contract is the least cost effective method of going solar. Buy it upfront and eliminate the hassle of possible liens and long term contracts.

The warranty is on the equipment and a good manufacturer should be around.

Old 01-21-2023, 04:20 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Leasing or a power generation contract is the least cost effective method of going solar. Buy it upfront and eliminate the hassle of possible liens and long term contracts.

The warranty is on the equipment and a good manufacturer should be around.
Then that has changed, because that was not the case 10 years ago, but these things do change (often quickly). There are other concerns beyond warranties on the panels, just one of many examples being squirrels chewing wires, which is rather common. Warranties did not cover that for the people that had that damage (the two I know), they were just on the panels themselves.

Nevermind that least efficient option may be the only option. Precious few people, relatively, have 30 or 40k liquid cash. Financing while available some of the time may be at terms that completely shifts the equations.

People just have to do the math and weigh the odds (as usual), and consider how long they actually think they will be in the house in question. I'm sure there are studies on roof panels and their impacts on resale values, but I've not reviewed them.

Last edited by timberline742; 01-21-2023 at 05:34 PM..

Old 01-21-2023, 06:52 PM

349 posts, read 320,939 times
Got mine installed January 2022. Fantastic so far with a 7 year payback period and 15% close to risk-free ROI. I recommend it to anyone who can install, has the cash, and plans to live in their home for a few years

Old 01-22-2023, 05:13 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
Quote:
A few companies stopped by our front door and gave us quotes.. it's between 30k to 48k for different size/configuration. It seems really complicated with so many things to consider without the knowledge. I'm a ware of Energysage site and will look into it for sure!

One comment I saw online was the warranty period.. companies offer 25 years of warranty but will they really be around in the next 25 years? How much weight should we put on this in selecting the installers?

How much offset did you choose? Is 100% good enough? I've seen quotes that's like 120% to 130%.. and if battery is necessary?
Need more numbers to really say...yes it's a little complicated.

To start, you'll also need your current average cost of electricity per kwh, the estimate of how much energy the system will generate, and how much you use.

Most installers will offer the 25-year warranty, so it's not really a comparison point. My way of narrowing down contractors on build quality were if they used subcontractors, understanding how many of these builds they do, and reading reviews. I asked a LOT of questions and only a couple contractors did well in answering them.

There are incentives to reduce the cost of battery but my math never showed it paying off. It's just up to you how much you need a backup source. My house rarely gets blackouts (zero in 2022) so I decided not to get one but am open to installing one in the future when the technology gets better and cheaper.

I didn't go with more than 100% offset because it would have required panels to be placed on parts of the roof that didn't get as much sun, but I am pretty confident we will use more electricity as the kids get older and the possibility of an EV or switching certain appliances from gas to electric.

Old 01-22-2023, 08:36 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,732,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
Got mine installed January 2022. Fantastic so far with a 7 year payback period and 15% close to risk-free ROI. I recommend it to anyone who can install, has the cash, and plans to live in their home for a few years
How big is your system and how much did it cost? Do you recommend the company?

Are people in MA still generating much electricity during this gloomy winter?

Old 01-22-2023, 08:40 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
How big is your system and how much did it cost? Do you recommend the company?

Are people in MA still generating much electricity during this gloomy winter?
It's about what's produced over the year. Credits built up over the summer offset shortfalls in the winter assuming the system was built to offset 100% and average weather.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:02 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
You'll have to calculate the ROI out for youself to determine that.

I have a buddy who gets $1200/month electric bills in winter, who went solar. For him it's worth it.

Me on the other hand, it's just not worth it when my highest bill in the middle of july running the A/C might be $100.

Old 01-23-2023, 05:10 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
For those who have solar now and are using a net metering agreement with their electric company... do you ever get cash payment for electricity contributed to the grid, or just credits against your bills? Sounds like only the latter at the link below.

https://www.mass.gov/guides/net-mete...n-and-billing-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts