Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 07:51 PM

30 posts, read 30,242 times

Advertisements

with the recent price hikes in electricity, do you think it will stay high or go higher or go lower in the future? i saw a few neighbors getting solar panels installed in the past 12 months and start to wonder if it makes sense to consider it, i'm also concerned with the potential damage to the roof and wonder if anyone has experience to share on that?

also, anyone has any solar companies to recommend? Telsa solar seems to be cheaper than others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 05:52 AM

12,475 posts, read 9,560,412 times
The National Grid rep at a Newburyport town hall meeting said that while this winter is an especially big increase, rates go up steeply every winter, and then fall again every spring. It's because of competition for the natural gas supply during the heating season - that drives up natural gas prices, which is also used at most of the electricity generation plants in Mass. In 2021, 77% of the power generation in Mass came from natural gas, so power prices are closely tied to gas prices in this state. Rates will fall again in spring when the heating season is over.

I believe the Inflation Reduction Act has federal subsidies for green energy, so it may be an opportune time because of those benefits. I don't have the details though - you'll need to dig in.

Old 01-20-2023, 07:02 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,128,789 times
I just had panels installed. Have you received estimates? It's hard to say if it's worth it without knowing numbers.

One way to start is to create an account on Energysage for free and post your project and you'll get bids from different contractors.

Tesla is going to be much cheaper but they can be difficult to work with if you need any kind of hand holding. There are lots of negative stories if you search online and a friend of mine who tried to use them hadn't heard anything for over a year, then got a revised quote (increase in $), and they then said they couldn't do it.

Roof damage was my top concern...panels are installed on thousands of homes and it does not sound like a real problem, not zero but not common. I haven't had any issues in the six months since they were put in. Solar companies will theoretically fix the problem if the leak occurs within the warranty period. I heard from someone that their friend who used Tesla was hard to get ahold of when there was an issue with a roof leak.

Old 01-20-2023, 07:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
If you can do ground mount and have a nice S-W aspect, probably. It's always case specific.

Old 01-20-2023, 09:41 AM

12,475 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you can do ground mount and have a nice S-W aspect, probably. It's always case specific.
I have only done some background research for my retirement cottage project, still 2 years of - but yes, I read that if you have the available land space and with a spot wide open to the sun, fixed ground mount has several advantages:

- No concerns about roof leaks
- No coupling to roof repair project logistics
- Potential for more optimal orientation
- Easier/safer to sweep free of snow in winter as they're much lower and more accessible

It is supposed to cost more to put in as you're not reusing the roof deck as your panel mounting surface, but that's of course also where the advantages come from.

Old 01-20-2023, 02:03 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,738,814 times
Every quote I've gotten is over 40k which seems insane to me. Before Covid, it was literally half as much.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The National Grid rep at a Newburyport town hall meeting said that while this winter is an especially big increase, rates go up steeply every winter, and then fall again every spring. It's because of competition for the natural gas supply during the heating season - that drives up natural gas prices, which is also used at most of the electricity generation plants in Mass. In 2021, 77% of the power generation in Mass came from natural gas, so power prices are closely tied to gas prices in this state. Rates will fall again in spring when the heating season is over.

I believe the Inflation Reduction Act has federal subsidies for green energy, so it may be an opportune time because of those benefits. I don't have the details though - you'll need to dig in.
Good perspective, I did a quick calculation of the rate and saw a 7% increase in unit price over a 12-month period so I fear the price will keep going up.. recent subsidies is definitely a reason for us considering it now.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I just had panels installed. Have you received estimates? It's hard to say if it's worth it without knowing numbers.

One way to start is to create an account on Energysage for free and post your project and you'll get bids from different contractors.

Tesla is going to be much cheaper but they can be difficult to work with if you need any kind of hand holding. There are lots of negative stories if you search online and a friend of mine who tried to use them hadn't heard anything for over a year, then got a revised quote (increase in $), and they then said they couldn't do it.

Roof damage was my top concern...panels are installed on thousands of homes and it does not sound like a real problem, not zero but not common. I haven't had any issues in the six months since they were put in. Solar companies will theoretically fix the problem if the leak occurs within the warranty period. I heard from someone that their friend who used Tesla was hard to get ahold of when there was an issue with a roof leak.
A few companies stopped by our front door and gave us quotes.. it's between 30k to 48k for different size/configuration. It seems really complicated with so many things to consider without the knowledge. I'm a ware of Energysage site and will look into it for sure!

One comment I saw online was the warranty period.. companies offer 25 years of warranty but will they really be around in the next 25 years? How much weight should we put on this in selecting the installers?

How much offset did you choose? Is 100% good enough? I've seen quotes that's like 120% to 130%.. and if battery is necessary?

Old 01-21-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
well, you'll need a quite big land to do ground mount i guess..

Old 01-21-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Every quote I've gotten is over 40k which seems insane to me. Before Covid, it was literally half as much.
ya, inflation affects everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts