Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2023, 04:02 AM

846 posts, read 681,943 times

Advertisements

It's true that the areas near Boston are very expensive. But it seems like there are still other liveable areas.

I see basic studio apartments in Worcester MA for 1000-1500. The same ones would go for 1800-2000 in Clifton NJ. (Which is a fair comparison, right?: both are about 40-45 mins away from a major city).

Even though, statistically, both states have similar cost of living, the difference is that the lower to medium cost areas in MA are more desirable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 04:18 AM

531 posts, read 425,046 times
Yes, most commutable areas both north and south of Boston are extremely pricey. Worcester (and the metro west area) might be a tad more affordable, but I think that’s getting expensive in its own right too.

I thought I heard Boston had surpassed NYC in terms of rental prices and cost of living but I’m not positive how the burbs stack up. Worcester has quite a few colleges so that could be why some rental prices might be a tad more affordable too. I’m honestly not too sure why Worcester isn’t quite as expensive. Perhaps maybe proximity to Boston too? Not far but not super close?

Old 02-01-2023, 04:35 AM

Worcester is definitely not cheap. But considering the wages are decent, there's lots of industry and you can commute to Boston, it seems balanced.

I just feel like you get more for your money in Mass. To get a price in north NJ that's in a decent part of Worcester, you have to rent in the highest crime part of Paterson NJ.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:10 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
It's true that the areas near Boston are very expensive. But it seems like there are still other liveable areas.

I see basic studio apartments in Worcester MA for 1000-1500. The same ones would go for 1800-2000 in Clifton NJ. (Which is a fair comparison, right?: both are about 40-45 mins away from a major city).

Even though, statistically, both states have similar cost of living, the difference is that the lower to medium cost areas in MA are more desirable.
Clifton is about 20 miles from Manhattan. Worcester is about 45 miles from downtown Boston. Even Morristown is closer to Manhattan than Worcester is to Boston. A better comparison would probably be somewhere like Framingham.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Clifton is about 20 miles from Manhattan. Worcester is about 45 miles from downtown Boston.
You're forgetting a crucial detail. Manhattan is twice as congested and its twice as hard to get parking.

Realistically speaking, a Clifton resident isn't driving from Clifton to NYC. They'll drive 10 minutes to park near a bus stop (i.e. Willowbrook Mall in Wayne/Little Falls). Then wait another 10 mins for the bus. And then take a 35-40 min bus ride.

It's also cheaper to pay $8 for a bus ticket than to pay for gas and parking.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:22 AM

10,008 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Worcester has some lousy areas so it sort of depends on what part of the city these apartments are located in.

The suburbs around Worcester are booming.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:23 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Clifton is about 20 miles from Manhattan. Worcester is about 45 miles from downtown Boston. Even Morristown is closer to Manhattan than Worcester is to Boston. A better comparison would probably be somewhere like Framingham.
Even that is not quite close enough. Clifton to the Javits Center midtown is 15 miles. The Natick Mall to South Station is 21 miles.

Old 02-01-2023, 05:24 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
I’m not trying to sound snobby but I think maybe one of the reasons is Worcester isn’t seen as desirable as the metro west areas closer to Boston (think Lexington, Wayland, Weston, etc) and even the north and south shores, so it’s more affordable. I don’t know a ton about Jersey, so it’s hard for me to compare cities and towns in MA to cities and towns in Jersey.
Weston in in a totally different league than Wayland or Lexington. Worcester and surrounding towns are quite good if have a hybrid working arrangement. There's even an express train that gets you to Boston in an hour. Not bad if you're only commuting 1-2 days a week.

https://www.boston25news.com/news/lo...L64KQCOMRIARQ/

Old 02-01-2023, 05:46 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,731,014 times
Worcester is not 45min from Boston, it's at least an hour and with traffic probably more. It's also in central MA which is like a different state cost wise than eastern MA.

Lowell is more comparable. The rents there are much higher than Worcester, can't find many apartments for 1000-1500 there.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:47 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
You're forgetting a crucial detail. Manhattan is twice as congested and its twice as hard to get parking.

Realistically speaking, a Clifton resident isn't driving from Clifton to NYC. They'll drive 10 minutes to park near a bus stop (i.e. Willowbrook Mall in Wayne/Little Falls). Then wait another 10 mins for the bus. And then take a 35-40 min bus ride.

It's also cheaper to pay $8 for a bus ticket than to pay for gas and parking.
Worcester to South Station clocks in at 1h 23m. The Trenton-NYP time is 1h 14m - 1h 19m. Neither are comparable to a 35-40 minute bus ride.

Of course NYC and Boston are different and so a direct comparison will be tough. NYC is a lot bigger, has a lot more developed transit infrastructure, and is across a large river in a different state than NJ. Worcester is the second largest city in New England and is big enough to have its own suburbs (which tend to merge with the outer suburbs of Boston).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts