Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 03:47 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Is Yarmouth rough too? I've only been to the Cape a handful of times but we always stayed in either Hyannis or Yarmouth cause they were affordable. I never knew it was a rough area. I only remember beaches, mini golf, gift shops, ice cream, lobster rolls.
It seems like these places have a 'rougher' vibe particularly the night life scene. If you didn't notice I'd say that's good. Yarmouth is not as rough as Hyannis I'd say although that's there that cop was shot and killed a few years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 05:17 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Is Yarmouth rough too? I've only been to the Cape a handful of times but we always stayed in either Hyannis or Yarmouth cause they were affordable. I never knew it was a rough area. I only remember beaches, mini golf, gift shops, ice cream, lobster rolls.
Yarmouth has an underbelly for sure, but it's not as bad as Hyannis. If you look closely you will see alot of guys riding bikes with paper bags, beaten down cars, etc. There is a more year round section by rt. 6.

Their moto is "Cape Cod, within reach" and it is spot on in so many ways. It's always been a more middle class vacation spot. My family has had a vacation house there since the 1980s. Original generation on our street was mostly Catholics grandparents of various ethnicities that had big families sleeping 4 to a room all summer. Lots of outside get togethers because you couldn't fit everyone in the little houses. Now that that generation has passed it is a mix of knock downs and seasonal rentals. I do like seeing the knotty pine cottages that have stuck around.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:10 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Yarmouth has an underbelly for sure, but it's not as bad as Hyannis. If you look closely you will see alot of guys riding bikes with paper bags, beaten down cars, etc. There is a more year round section by rt. 6.

Their moto is "Cape Cod, within reach" and it is spot on in so many ways. It's always been a more middle class vacation spot. My family has had a vacation house there since the 1980s. Original generation on our street was mostly Catholics grandparents of various ethnicities that had big families sleeping 4 to a room all summer. Lots of outside get togethers because you couldn't fit everyone in the little houses. Now that that generation has passed it is a mix of knock downs and seasonal rentals. I do like seeing the knotty pine cottages that have stuck around.

I know West Yarmouth (along Rte. 28) has a good deal of Hyannis run off, although not nearly as bad. Same phenomenon, a lot of older motels and humbler former tourist housing, now often used as "affordable" housing. End result isn't so pretty.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:14 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Not sure what's weird about someone calling Hyannis shady when it is and has had that reputation for years.

I meant the labeling such comments as racist. But I guess that's a common defense these days for calling something what it is, heck I get accused of the same in the RI forum for accurately calling neighborhoods there sketchy and crime ridden (no matter the actual racial makeup).

Old 06-27-2023, 10:16 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I meant the labeling such comments as racist. But I guess that's a common defense these days for calling something what it is, heck I get accused of the same in the RI forum for accurately calling neighborhoods there sketchy and crime ridden (no matter the actual racial makeup).
Well Hyannis does have a high number of people of color these days too. I get that yes there are white people there also, but if you go to a place like Harwich, Chatham, Dennis, there's very few POC there. Those places could be touted as boring with little to no night life, but that's how some people like it. Hyannis does seem pretty wild to me as far as they going out scene goes.

Old 06-27-2023, 01:28 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Quote:
Well Hyannis does have a high number of people of color these days too. I get that yes there are white people there also, but if you go to a place like Harwich, Chatham, Dennis, there's very few POC there. Those places could be touted as boring with little to no night life, but that's how some people like it. Hyannis does seem pretty wild to me as far as they going out scene goes.
Check out Cape Cod Line Girl on Insta. You'll be surprised.

Perks, The Port, Ocean House, The Wood Shed, Sand Dollar and the Squire are happening night spots in the Harwich, Dennis, Chatham area. It's a different vibe than Main Street Hyannis or Trader Ed's (thankfully) but it's definitely not boring.

As far as POC it is pretty amazing how many POC have settled in that area and started businesses. In Chatham alone there are 3 new restaurants with Caribbean flair, Moods, Branches & Drifters. A new Filipino restaurant/tiki bar just opened on Main Street. It's sure to be a night spot as well.

Old 06-27-2023, 01:49 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Check out Cape Cod Line Girl on Insta. You'll be surprised.

Perks, The Port, Ocean House, The Wood Shed, Sand Dollar and the Squire are happening night spots in the Harwich, Dennis, Chatham area. It's a different vibe than Main Street Hyannis or Trader Ed's (thankfully) but it's definitely not boring.

As far as POC it is pretty amazing how many POC have settled in that area and started businesses. In Chatham alone there are 3 new restaurants with Caribbean flair, Moods, Branches & Drifters. A new Filipino restaurant/tiki bar just opened on Main Street. It's sure to be a night spot as well.
You're right, there is no shortage of bars one could find on the weekends (and weeknights) in Chatham/Harwich/dennis. When I'm in harwich things just seem so quiet and family oriented to me but I don't really go out much when i'm there (kids). 3 Monkeys seems to be the happening spot in harwich now along with the port. Plenty of places to drink, I used to go to some of those places myself. Hyannis has more of a club type atmosphere. Hyannis has dance club type places where as Harwich Chatham have Wequasset/CBI. Most of the people frequenting the chatham/harwich places aren't looking to cause trouble, I can't say the same for hyannis.

Old 06-27-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
You're right, there is no shortage of bars one could find on the weekends (and weeknights) in Chatham/Harwich/dennis. When I'm in harwich things just seem so quiet and family oriented to me but I don't really go out much when i'm there (kids). 3 Monkeys seems to be the happening spot in harwich now along with the port. Plenty of places to drink, I used to go to some of those places myself. Hyannis has more of a club type atmosphere. Hyannis has dance club type places where as Harwich Chatham have Wequasset/CBI. Most of the people frequenting the chatham/harwich places aren't looking to cause trouble, I can't say the same for hyannis.
Tell me about 3 Monkeys. We've driven by but never stopped in. We tried Hot Stove meh and fins The Port is just okay as well. We like Ember.

Old 06-27-2023, 02:05 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Tell me about 3 Monkeys. We've driven by but never stopped in. We tried Hot Stove meh and fins The Port is just okay as well. We like Ember.
I am pretty sure I've never been to 3 monkeys. I've been to mad minnow a few years back which is the sister restaurant and that was good. 3 monkeys must be good given the amount of people I see sitting there but it's hard to tell if they're drinking/eating. Either way that place is doing well.

The port has gone downhill for me. I used to love it but it's changed the past few years and they focus has shifted away from food to alcohol. Seems to be more of a stuck 20 something place to go and get drunk now lol.

I also like ember. We like George's pizza as well, but even that can be a 45 min wait for take out.

Old 06-28-2023, 06:09 AM

Just released it was a 16 who did the shooting. Also shot up a car at Craigville Beach in May.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...dents/3077688/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts