Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2024, 12:55 PM

353 posts, read 138,583 times

Advertisements

Those of you on the South Shore - what's the deal with this one? It's a "new" listing but was also on the market for a long time last year without selling. I recall another house on the same street that lingered on the market for a while last year as well. Is it the specific part of Duxbury? Or just the fact that the house needs work (26 year old roof for example)? It doesn't look like a total disaster of a house, but maybe I'm missing something.

Redfin prior listing history has been scrubbed clean, however the Realtor.com listing shows the listing history from 2023.

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Duxbury/11.../home/16343464

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M43814-82153
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 01:01 PM

16,335 posts, read 8,162,213 times
I was just looking at that Duxbury listing. The house is dated (inside and out) but I agree it's not a bad house and seems to be in a nice area. Privacy, on a quiet street...seems to be some good potential for someone looking to give the house some TLC. I'm not sure what's wrong with it other than it isn't modern enough for folks...

this one sold less than 2 years ago on the same street:

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Duxbury/86.../home/16343466

Old 03-18-2024, 01:14 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I was just looking at that Duxbury listing. The house is dated (inside and out) but I agree it's not a bad house and seems to be in a nice area. Privacy, on a quiet street...seems to be some good potential for someone looking to give the house some TLC. I'm not sure what's wrong with it other than it isn't modern enough for folks...

I've seen way more dated than this. It looks like a perfectly nice house. I don't know how it compares to the other houses in Duxbury or what the Duxbury market specifically is like, but compared to what we were looking at (for more money 8 years ago) in Newton, Needham, Belmont, Arlington, Winchester and Lexington, this house is nicer than some we saw.

Old 03-18-2024, 01:16 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I've seen way more dated than this. It looks like a perfectly nice house. I don't know how it compares to the other houses in Duxbury or what the Duxbury market specifically is like, but compared to what we were looking at (for more money 8 years ago) in Newton, Needham, Belmont, Arlington, Winchester and Lexington, this house is nicer than some we saw.
Yeah I've seen more dated as well...but the lot of land it's on seems really nice plus it's on a quiet cul de sac

I think Duxbury is typically cheaper than the towns you mentioned above...but it's still a desirable town. I'd be happy with that house at that price, lol...but there could be more to the story

this one to be clear: https://www.redfin.com/MA/Duxbury/11.../home/16343464

the other one is nice...but was about 200k more

Old 03-18-2024, 01:24 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
https://www.redfin.com/MA/Westwood/1...0/home/8981640

I think this is way above market but often it's better to be lucky than good.

Seems pretty spot on to me. I imagine most 4 BR, 2.5 BA colonial homes on a decent lot in any desirable town along 128 is going to be around $1.4 million.

A few examples...

Needham

Waltham

Bedford

Reading

Lynnfield

Old 03-18-2024, 02:38 PM

12,833 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

It's in "interior" Duxbury, west of Route 3 and near the Pembroke Line. It's almost 15 minutes to Duxbury Bay and close to 20 to Duxbury Beach. It looks like it's a fine neighborhood, but it's not close to the water which is the more desirable part of town. And while I don't think the house actually looks that outdated, it's still a raised ranch with only 1.5 baths. All of that considered, $700k seems about right.

Old 03-18-2024, 03:09 PM

353 posts, read 138,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It's in "interior" Duxbury, west of Route 3 and near the Pembroke Line. It's almost 15 minutes to Duxbury Bay and close to 20 to Duxbury Beach. It looks like it's a fine neighborhood, but it's not close to the water which is the more desirable part of town. And while I don't think the house actually looks that outdated, it's still a raised ranch with only 1.5 baths. All of that considered, $700k seems about right.
Yeah, I could tell it wasn't in the choicest part of town, but wasn't sure if there was something else about the location causing the house to not sell last year (weird farm smells or known wetlands or something). It's not my style house, but I found it curious since buyers these past few years have not shown themselves to be particularly picky. I knew I recognized the listing from last year when I saw it pop up earlier, and it piqued my curiosity. Appreciate the feedback from all.

Old 03-18-2024, 03:25 PM

There's really no bad part of Duxbury IMO. It's not like any part is dangerous...but sure it's not right near the water

I think 700k seems right but I've become so used to seeing homes selling quickly for over asking.

Old 03-18-2024, 04:43 PM

12,833 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced_Coffee View Post
Yeah, I could tell it wasn't in the choicest part of town, but wasn't sure if there was something else about the location causing the house to not sell last year (weird farm smells or known wetlands or something). It's not my style house, but I found it curious since buyers these past few years have not shown themselves to be particularly picky. I knew I recognized the listing from last year when I saw it pop up earlier, and it piqued my curiosity. Appreciate the feedback from all.
Beyond water access (or lack thereof) relative to the rest of town, if I had to point to something “wrong,” it’d be the 1.5 baths for 4 bedrooms. As a buyer, especially with a family, that would be a hang up for me. The second toilet is great, but if you have a family of 4 or 5 (and overnight guests) sharing a single shower, that’s not exactly ideal. I wonder if there’s something, beyond just the cost, preventing them from adding another bath? A family could possibly be convinced to buy a place like that if they knew I could add a bathroom later. But if they’re was stuck with the 1.5, it might be a deal breaker.

Old 03-18-2024, 07:31 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,123,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Seems pretty spot on to me. I imagine most 4 BR, 2.5 BA colonial homes on a decent lot in any desirable town along 128 is going to be around $1.4 million.

A few examples...

Needham

Waltham

Bedford

Reading

Lynnfield
The Westwood house’s size and aesthetic is worse than all the houses you listed.

Here’s one in the same area for the exact same selling price and closed today that is bigger and better looking and more in line with what I would’ve expected. https://redf.in/hnKi16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts