Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

231 posts, read 121,736 times

Advertisements

^ All cynicism aside, i dont believe one word of that. Everyone I know within 495 and 128 wants to leave, with the exception of one wealthy trust fund family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

21,745 posts, read 12,880,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartM1 View Post
^ All cynicism aside, i dont believe one word of that. Everyone I know within 495 and 128 wants to leave, with the exception of one wealthy trust fund family.
3 things:

1) this is for the CITY of Boston

2) Are the people you know in the demographic most likely to leave MA (Middle/Upper Middle Class and white)? That demo is not the majority demo of the City of Boston

3) this does line up more or less with other studies that find that 90% of young people enjoy they're quality of life here (somewhat ironically, its highest satisfaction level is among black young people) but 25% are considering a move due to COL.

Ultimately the things 600 people like.... Safety, inclusion/diveristy and the things they don't like "infrastructure, cost of living" are very much on brand and make sense. So most of what the city can control is pretty good. Infra, Transit and COL is somewhat above the city paygrade. However the city continues to failin regards to public schools. Also, on brand.

Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM

231 posts, read 121,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
3 things:

1) this is for the CITY of Boston

2) Are the people you know in the demographic most likely to leave MA (Middle/Upper Middle Class and white)? That demo is not the majority demo of the City of Boston

3) this does line up more or less with other studies that find that 90% of young people enjoy they're quality of life here (somewhat ironically, its highest satisfaction level is among black young people) but 25% are considering a move due to COL.

Ultimately the things 600 people like.... Safety, inclusion/diveristy and the things they don't like "infrastructure, cost of living" are very much on brand and make sense. So most of what the city can control is pretty good. Infra, Transit and COL is somewhat above the city paygrade. However the city continues to failin regards to public schools. Also, on brand.
1. I did think of that and thought...65% - 79% in the city proper thought it was good to Positve? No way. I'm thinking of the recent complaints of pharmacies closing due to crime and the outcry as just one small example.

2. Yes they are. But many very young urban pros still live in town; Southie, south end, Dorchester, Roslindale, and just find it expensive and lacking safe nightlife. I guess those areas may not boston proper and not part of the poling.

3.Sure. They're the 25% i guess which imo is understated.

Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

3,692 posts, read 7,447,023 times
Quote:

I work with many people who live in Boston (in many different areas) and I am not aware of anyone who "wants to leave". That seems like a very broad brush.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

21,745 posts, read 12,880,468 times
Quote:
1. I did think of that and thought...65% - 79% in the city proper thought it was good to Positve? No way. I'm thinking of the recent complaints of pharmacies closing due to crime and the outcry as just one small example.

2. Yes they are. But many very young urban pros still live in town; Southie, south end, Dorchester, Roslindale, and just find it expensive and lacking safe nightlife. I guess those areas may not boston proper and not part of the poling.

3.Sure. They're the 25% i guess which imo is understated.
1. The Pharmacies closed but it wasn't due to crime. That's just a theory or rumor. It's only one chain- not multiple chains/businesses, and they didn't say that, and we know crime is down. I've been to the Roxbury Walgreens dozens of times, never noticed shoplifting, never noted a chaotic environment or shelves. usually only 3-5 customers in there at a time.

2. They're pretty much right. Lack of nightlife was listed in another survey as the number 1 "less important reason" young people want to move. The schools must also factor in. I don't think it a great thing these folks don't want to live in Boston despite what some posters think. I say it all the time- the efforts to create a "safe" city with lots of "character" end up scaring away some of the people you want to see living here. I think again- when you're white, well-to-do, and mobile then you have many options. Many are just more fun and affordbale than Boston. This is a liquor licensing issue- as it always is.

When you're a lower-income minority you kind of know Boston is a lot nicer than the equivalent in say... Philly or here in Bmore. It may not get any better for you. You're more on the survival mode than a wordly upper-class person looking for more freedom and fills. For those without much.... clean parks, grandfathered/subsidized housing, access to grocery stores, access to Carson Beach, low crime, and functional free 28/29 bus routes is awesome and might be all they need to feel fortunate.

3. I agree, understated and I think Boston has an amazingly powerful shadow/backdoor PR network unlike any other American city. This sort of thing always happens best this, best that, everyone happy with every leader, all the time, economy always up, crime always down. In some ways I see your point- just seems unrealistic.

Old Today, 01:57 AM

1,061 posts, read 700,290 times
I'm in the category of people who would love to move back, but not sure I could afford it.

Mass has its problems, but I'd rather have Mass problems than Alabama problems.

As much as I'd love a single family home, I'd be willing to sacrifice that dream to get a decent condo inside the 128 belt. I'd even happily bring my wife and daughter to live in just about any city in the Commonwealth. Outside of Springfield, I'm not sure if there's any city in the state where crime is so awful that I'd be concerned about living there. Not to mention, having access to the best hospitals and schools in the country, along with free community college and an improving MBTA? What's not to love?

Trying to convince my wife that Worcester or Lowell wouldn't be bad places to live. W. Mass is a possibility, but due to costs we may have to go south to RI or CT, although my wife is trying to sell me on the DC area (and we're even considering NH ugh).

Old Today, 04:47 AM

3,436 posts, read 1,579,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
Sunday night I took Uber from Logan airport to my home (inside 495), and it cost me $150 plus tips.

I guess services are a lot more expensive than before, but fewer people are willing to use them.
If it was not a rainy night, I would have used public transportation even if it takes much longer.
How long was the drive? Uber should not be that expensive unless you are traveling two hours.

Old Today, 06:06 AM

2,952 posts, read 5,208,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
How long was the drive? Uber should not be that expensive unless you are traveling two hours.
It may have been Uber surge pricing at a busy hour, increasing the cost. Most are probably able to wait out a surge lf lucky to not be in a rush.

Old Today, 06:35 AM

16,636 posts, read 8,354,811 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
It may have been Uber surge pricing at a busy hour, increasing the cost. Most are probably able to wait out a surge lf lucky to not be in a rush.
Yes. Which seems really crappy for the customer. It's like, oh not only do I get to sit in traffic, I get to pay more for it too.

Old Today, 07:16 AM

2,952 posts, read 5,208,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yes. Which seems really crappy for the customer. It's like, oh not only do I get to sit in traffic, I get to pay more for it too.
A cab from Logan out to some Rt. 495 towns, about 30 miles, is likely a flat rate destination and still much, much less than $170 or so.

When I last drove a Boston taxi a few years ago, a taxi flat rate is $3.20 per mile plus tolls/fees and any tip. If it's a closer destination, a non-flat rate town like Boston, Newton, Weymouth, etc., it's $2.80 per mile plus waiting time in traffic, a $2.60 start up plus tolls and any tip. From what a taxi driver recently told me, those rates haven't changed.

A flat rate taxi ride can never increase, even if horrible traffic due to a snowstorm or horrific traffic and detours doubling the time in the taxi.

In a rideshare, if a driver veers off the route, a major diversion, the price a customer was quoted will increase, and the driver earns more. Some rideshare drivers brag about "long hauling." It's no better than those "filthy, scummy cab drivers!"

They'll long haul from Gillette Stadium to South Boston, avoiding the direct Rt. 95 to Rt. 93 route and go out of their way to use the Pike, adding more miles, and I believe, more time.

I was driving a rideshare passenger a few years ago and missed the exit for Foxborough and had to come back another route to drop them off. I earned more than originally quoted to me, and when I asked the passenger, after apologizing, what his bill now was, he confirmed it's suddenly more expensive than first quoted.

So I called Uber to adjust both my pay and his price down, back to our original quotes. Certainly not all drivers would be that honest when it was their mistake

Many rideshare passengers don't seem to realize their price can increase if a major route change
occurs.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts