Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:49 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,931 times

Advertisements

I hate to say this, but the housing market is like this in many places. It may be more prevalent in urban areas, but it is affecting areas all over.

I chose to live in Western Ma because the cost of living is much cheaper. I commute to the Hartford, CT area every day for work.

Your community is what you make of it. If you look for the negative, you'll find the negative. True, that there are many folks that bring down Springfield, but I've also met some outstanding, hard working people in the area as well. This is typical of ANY urban area. I've lived in NYC, CT and MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 02:34 PM

40 posts, read 166,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoMA View Post
Our young family of 4 would like to find a place in Massachusetts with a lower cost of living than DC. Housing is ridiculous here and its too crowded.

My husband is considering a job with an employer in Springfield, so we are considering the move.

What is it like living in Western Mass for families? Is a commute from Amherst too far to get to Springfield everyday? Do people find there is enough to do with kids?

Thanks so much for any responses!

Well, I am from Chicopee (the city who is the neighbor with Springfield). I'm going to be attending UMass at Amherst in the fall and I'm commuting from Chicopee. Honestly, it's not that far of a drive. The region has a lot to do for children. I wish they had this stuff when I was little.

Housing here is very affordable. I would most likely suggest Chicopee because it's in close proximity to Springfield and other regional cities/towns of importance. Chicopee is very safe, safer than any city in Massachusetts. We have a lot of great neighborhoods and parks.

Well since you have children, I know your probably interested in schooling. Chicopee has catholic schools (one of the best would be St. Stans.; from K-8/ than going to Holyoke Catholic High; which is also located in Chicopee close to St. Stans.) Public school system is one of the highest education forms out here. Many elementary schools to choose from; not crowded. two middle schools. Two high schools; both are brand new. I'm in high school right now at Chicopee Comp., I've been livign here my whole life and I love the school system. No matter what needs they have. Chicopee Comp. cost $99 milion to build and is the state-of-the-art school in the Northeast. More students in Chjicopee end up going for higher education than other school districts.
We have a new central library with staff that helps. Many resources..... The tax rate is very affordable. We have one of the lowest tax rates in the state. Offer all services (fire, police, medical response). Our SWAT Team is compared to a military force, very high tech and well-trained. Idk what else to say this city is great for families.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:19 AM

548 posts, read 2,097,467 times
Chicopee is the pits. It's proably the least attractive city/town in western Mass.

The former mayor of Chicopee, Mayor Richard Goyette, is currently in prison serving two years for extortion. I think he gets out of the slammer October of '09 and then has to do a year of home confinement. It's public information, widely reported in the media. Anyone can google search for the details.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:52 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,602 times
But but but i thought greenfield was the pits and least attractive city/town in Wmass. I live in West Springfield and i am sure that it is probably considered to be a ghetto to you also. And also the vicious attack in greenfield is something that happens all over the country,not just an isolated greenfield thing. When i was in high school we had a 2 kids go to jail for a brawl in the RT 5 McDonalds and another for manslaughter(he shot his friend in the face point blank fooling around with gun).So i guess by your criteria i live in a hell hole.

P.S. Chicopee is a fine city,if you don't like it don't live there or go there.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-18-2009 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: don't get personal, argue with statements instead

Old 05-17-2009, 08:49 PM

46 posts, read 180,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
i just love how people can just drive down a street for 1 mile and come up with the state of a city. are you saying that if all those houses are for sale that the only people to buy them will be poor or minorities. so that is why they should stay away,or is just because people are selling there houses.i would love to hear why people should "avoid that area like the plague".just curious
East Springfield in general seems to have alot of houses for sale. I drive through the area as I have friends who live in the Springfield Plaza area and over near Liberty School, and see many houses for sale in those area as well, but the most that are for sale are centered around St James. My friends say that many of the houses in their sections are bought by and then rented out by absentee landlords whose only concern is making money, not contributing to the neighborhood and community. Most of the tenants are decent people, but trying to get by on a low income. It is the people that own the property that are to blame for the blight. I was just saying that the area seems to be going down hill. Longtime residents are selling out, and as such the community is not as close-knit as it once was. As is usually the case, when most of the houses become rentals, property values do go down, and the neighborhood becomes transient. Whether or not crime will go up remains to be seen, but I would be very cautious about buying there and try speaking to the neighbors, epecially longtime residents to get their input.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,958 times
The place is a mess... I grew up there and still own a house in Chicopee. Would rather sell it and put the money into something with more of an "English speaking vibe"... I am disappointed every time I return. All of Western Ma has become an over-built, poorly planned mess. Anybody who chooses to live there has never seen the "outside" of the area. It was the most pristine land in the nation at one point, but has become a small Caribbean island nation of liberal views with the accepting of low life, unemployed, violent drug dealers. Stay Away!!! If you have ever lived in a prosperous area you will be bamboozled as they want you to feel successful, while they drain you of taxes, because even the unemployed people deserve to sniff cocaine...

Old 09-11-2012, 11:07 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I grew up there too and I think it depends upon where in WMass you live. If you are looking to live in a city, I'd say no. Some of the towns are still very nice though. We lost just about everything when we lost Springfield. The great shopping, the jobs, the culture--I'd be afraid to get out of the car in Springfield now.

Longmeadow is still a nice place to live, if you can get past the snobby atmosphere and expensive homes. East Longmeadow is still pretty good too and probably Wilbraham and Hamden. Shopping can be done in nearby Enfield, CT.

To the north, Northampton and the surrounding area is still nice. Not many jobs unless you work at the University though. Sometime this entire area could come up in the world, especially if railroads make a comeback--we actually might get connected to the rest of the state!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2012, 02:30 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Sometime this entire area could come up in the world, especially if railroads make a comeback--we actually might get connected to the rest of the state!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't you think the Turnpike connected Western Mass to the rest of the state as effectively as any transportation project could have? I'd like to see good railroad service too but the turnpike was a huge improvement in that regard over old Route 20. If people still feel not connected maybe it's just a feeling and not the reality?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:43 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,602 times
In all honesty I feel more connected to the Hartford region than i do the Boston area. Not that I do not like the Boston Metro but for me in the Spfld area Hartford is just much more convienent. But seeing as i grew up in Brookline i am in the Boston area at least twice a month seeing family or other functions. And the pike is great but a 1 hour 20 minute drive gets bothersome.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:17 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I grew up there too and I think it depends upon where in WMass you live. If you are looking to live in a city, I'd say no. Some of the towns are still very nice though. We lost just about everything when we lost Springfield. The great shopping, the jobs, the culture--I'd be afraid to get out of the car in Springfield now.

Longmeadow is still a nice place to live, if you can get past the snobby atmosphere and expensive homes. East Longmeadow is still pretty good too and probably Wilbraham and Hamden. Shopping can be done in nearby Enfield, CT.

To the north, Northampton and the surrounding area is still nice. Not many jobs unless you work at the University though. Sometime this entire area could come up in the world, especially if railroads make a comeback--we actually might get connected to the rest of the state!!!!!!!!!!!
They just started Construction on a New line Between Springfield and Brattleboro , this will form a Trunk line for Western Mass and Southern Vermont. New lines to Boston via Fitchburg , New London via Amherst & Palmer , The Cross England Express - Albany - Pittsfield - Springfield - Worcester - Boston , & the Pittsfield line , Pittsfield - Danbury.... The Springfield - Brattleboro line should open in 2016 , the Central Corridor by 2020 and other upgrades by 2025-2030.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...71479,3.348083

Western Network

Greenfield / Fitchburg line
Electrified down the road , Top speed increased to 90mph
10 roundtrips to Greenfield
North Station
Porter SQ
Belmont
Waverly
Waltham
Brandeis/Roberts
Kendal Green
Hastings
Silver Hill
Lincoln
Concord
West Concord
South Acton
Littleton/Route 495
Ayer
Shirley
North Leominster
Fitchburg
West Wachusetts
Gardner
Athol
Orange
Greenfield

Vermonter
Electrified down the road , Top speed increased to 125mph
10 Roundtrips from Springfield north starting 2016
St. Albans
Burlington-Essex Junction
Waterbury-Stowe
Montpelier-Barre
Randolph
White River Junction
Windsor-Mt. Ascutney
Claremont
Bellows Falls
Brattleboro
Greenfield
South Deerfield
Northampton
Holyoke

Springfield
Windsor Locks
Windsor
Hartford
Berlin
Meriden
Wallingford
New Haven Union Station
Bridgeport
Stamford
New Rochelle
New York Penn station (Limited Service South , Increased Service North starting 2018)
Newark Penn Station
Metropark (weekends only)
Trenton
30th Street Station
Wilmington
Baltimore Penn Station
BWI Airport
New Carrollton
DC Union Station

Central Corridor
Brattleboro
Millers Falls
Amherst
Palmer
Stafford Springs
Mansfield/Storrs
Willimantic
Norwich
Mohegan

New London

Cross England Rail Xpress
Electrified down the road , Top speed increased to 125mph
10 Roundtrips a day
Albany
Chatham
Pittsfield
Westfield
West Springfield

Springfield
Indian Orchard
Palmer
Worcester
Framingham
Back Bay
Boston

Pittsfield line
Pittsfield
Lee
Great Barrington
Kent
New Milford
Brookfield
North Danbury

Danbury

Last edited by DarkWolf; 09-11-2012 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts