Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Massachusetts: transplant, rent an apt, condo, public transportation jobs, scout, liquor license.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 07:48 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times

Advertisements

I think the OP knows that the climate in New England has a winter- of many variations- Perhaps the OP is tired of the heat, and pollution of their present residence-

what may not be attractive to you- may be to someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,980 times
The harsh winters are something we're gonna have to contend with, I have no illusions about that. We are moving away partially because of the dire temperatures that this city hits in about mid-august.

We all know that there will be alot of changes in how things work from Texas to Mass, and we eagerly look forward to whatever happiness and hardships that present themselves to us. I for one, can't do this without lots of research, planning and flexibility with everything else. I know my own adaptability will be pushed to the limits, but I am confident that "we will overcome"

And we all accept that we may have to go back to Houston with our tails between our legs. But at least we'll have tales to tell.

TT.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:39 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
TiredTexan

well said- I am sure you will enjoy New England- I who am from Washington DC- another place with very hot summers- and who has lived on the west coast- was happy to return to Connecticut- and realized how much we have here.

That being said- the winters do vary here a great deal. For instance two thirds of CT now have what is considered a humid subtropical climate! Which does not surprise me- since I am now able to grow here cold hardy palms with minimal protection, Giant sequoia, the most tender southern magnolia, bamboo, the more tender peaches and many roses without a problem-DM for photos of my palms.

from wikipedia

Parts of Connecticut, including northwestern Connecticut, have a Humid continental climate while other parts, especially southeastern Connecticut, have a Humid subtropical climate, with seasonal extremes tempered by its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean. Winters are cold, with average temperatures ranging from 31°F (−1°C) in the southeast to 23°F (−5°C) in the northwest in January. Spring has variable temperatures with frequent rainfall. Summer is hot and humid throughout the state, with average highs in New London of 81°F (27°C) and 87°F (31°C) in Windsor Locks. Fall months are mild, and bring foliage across the state in October and November. During hurricane season, tropical cyclones occasionally affect the region. Thunderstorms are most frequent during the summer, occurring on average 30 times annually. These storms can be severe, though tornadoes are rare.

Snowfall along the CT shoreline is light-under 25" a year- while in Hartford at mid state inland around 40".

Rhode Island and south eastern Massachusetts can also be considered 'Humid subtropical' now. Generally, in New England, the further west and north you go away from the ocean will be colder and snowier- coming from Houston however your first winter here- though be it mild, will still be chilly for you- but this is not Chicago, Buffalo, De Moines or Minneapolis.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:36 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
Texans make wonderful additions to the Massachusetts blend of people, so you should find you are welcome here. A little bit of listening before launching into subjects like religion, politics and sexuality will be well advised, since there are regional differences. It is why I am here instead of in Kingwood where much of my bible quoting family has settled. They are happy to be near people like themselves, and I am delighted not to be part of that any more.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:12 PM

8 posts, read 17,271 times
Texan, I grew up in South Boston ("Southie"), then lived in Quincy for 12 years.
I can honestly say both towns are fairly decent to live in now, but Southie is a bit pricey.
I especially miss Quincy at times, there's always something to do there.

If you wind up looking into Quincy, look into the Wollaston, North Quincy, or Merrimount sections...there are some parts that aren't quite as nice.

I think if you try to get any closer to the Boston area, you're likely to find higher rents.
Quincy has full access to the T and busses, much like Boston itself.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:10 PM

278 posts, read 1,063,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredTexan View Post
Howdy All.

I am a Texan who is tired of the size and alienation of Houston. I've lived in Houston all my life, and have found it not all that appealing in recent years. The traffic, the lack of adequate public transportation, school systems (Future English Teacher), and a variety of things.
(Lack of Seasons, Lack of history and a defined culture, ect).

Myself, my best friend since I was 10, and another good friend of ours are thinking of moving to Massachusetts.

Here is the Skinny:

We're looking for affordable apartments/ect in the 1700 dollar range for a 3 bedroom. (Though willing to do a two bedroom for around if needed, and higher for Heat included). Car is something we'd like to take with us, because of Summers off and such.

Its a weird situation, and we're going to go communistic/Hippy about the whole thing, paying our way together. (Rent/Food/Utilities/ct.) from a central fund.

So here's what I guess the whole thing is about:

Which kind of areas are ideal for this kind of move?
We don't want to get stuck in a run down area, or "slums" like we have in Houston.

Quincy was mentioned to me by a transplant at my job, and I've been looking into that area, (Southies I think they're called).

I'm interested in experiences, opinions, tips, tricks, tactics about any facet of this endeavor as well. (I'm the planner, and I'm planning earrrrrly).

Thanks.
TiredTexan
Greetings, TiredTexan.
I am a Houston transplant myself, so I welcome you guys to MA. Know this: you will love it here. Just come with an open mind, forget the stereotypes, and you will do fine.
You really should look into the school systems here before you jump. They are nothing like TX, and they are widely under-funded. That has been the biggest surprise for us. Teacher lay-offs are common, and it's the new teachers who get the pink slips first. Towns are constantly trying to pass overrides to prevent lay-offs...they are not usually successful. I would just want you to read up on that before you pack up your car.
Other than that, this is a beautiful state filled with awesome people. That has been our experience so far.
Good luck,
lorilou

Old 08-12-2008, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,505 times
I have moved from the Quincy-Braintree area, but love going up that way every chance I can. Quincy Bay Marina is one of my favorite places.
The Wallaston area of Quincy is the beach community...it's just wonderful. Make sure you get some fried clams.

Survival Tips:

Women in Mass. will assume that you are the "Southern Gentlemen" that they dream about....trust me on this.
So, you and your buddies will not be without companionship, if desired. Though knowing what goes through these women's heads...they'll park on your doorstep. Geek or not...you are gonna be the new "it" dudes where ever you go. Do any y'all have a white steed? Bring it! Ditch the cowboy boots. I still cannot believe that my husband wears them. I love them, but they are just not appreciated here. Stetson and Lama are foreign words to these ppl. Foreign meaning - Texas is a state? Here? When? Well no one told us.
If you must wear them....rounded toes, not pointy. Keep them under your jeans, well hidden. It's like a fashion faux pas.
Cowboy hats might be passable as long as you get a Red Sox insignia printed on them...though I wouldn't push my luck. Something about a cowboy hat brings out the drunk in men...even when they aren't drinking. Get a baseball cap. I know how biting that is.
Never, ever, criticize the Sox or Patriots. This is a death sentence.
Pretend you're a liberal Democrat, and tell everyone that your mama graduated Vassar. Yep, that'll real 'em right in.

Y'all isn't so bad when you consider that you will be hearing a lot of 'yous guys' being thrown about as 'proper Bostonian' lingo. Also, Wicked...pronounced Wickit, Wickit Pissa is always good. However, if someone says 'you're a pissa'...not so much.

I have a friend in Louisiana who had to look up 'pissa' since she'd never heard the term before.

Be aware of the language usage....'f' is very popular even with the women. As an English teacher, I am sure
that you can appreciate it's usage as a verb, adjective, adverb, and noun. It really is quite a versatile little word considering it is an acronym for Fornicating Under Consent of the King.

My Mississippi Sister-In-Law nearly fell over when I said hell. She asked my brother why all the women here swore so much. Now she lives here. Culture shock. I thought that I was behaving so well. I was mortified. She's a sweetie.

Some of our summer days are very "Mississippi hot", as I like to say. Something most Southerners do not realize.

Oh, and if you hear someone ask for a tonic...that's 'soda' to you, or would it be pop? This is very Southie.
"Soda" is pretty widely used. A man going into as store in some parts of the country cannot ask for strawberry tonic without raising a few eyebrows. Feel free to let 'er rip when you're here - "when in Rome"....

The Commuter Rail goes all over the place. There is plenty of public transportation here.

Good luck, and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts