Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:02 PM

278 posts, read 1,063,950 times

Advertisements

hello again! Does anyone how long new MA residents (coming from other states) have to register their vehicles? How about license plates? I'm guessing the new Texas stickers I just paid $70 for aren't worth a dime in MA? Oh well, it's only money... )<: Any info on this topic would be appreciated. thanks, lorilou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 06:42 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Same thing here, I just paid $140 (!) for mine in MD and I also have to get a new license because my MD license is expiring 1 month before we move to MA the end of March... another $30 down the drain!

Old 01-30-2007, 06:22 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Yes. It is only money. Welcome to MA, where money will fix everything.

Also, if you do not have registration done within 30 days after you become a MA ressident. They can give you a ticket ($50?).

Check mass.gov/rmv for the website.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:22 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Yes. It is only money. Welcome to MA, where money will fix everything.

Also, if you do not have registration done within 30 days after you become a MA ressident. They can give you a ticket ($50?).

Check mass.gov/rmv for the website.
Congrats on moving to MA. You will quickly learn your car is a first class way for the state to skin you out of many, many dollars.

Also know you may have to be able to prove you paid sales tax on it in the old state. Paperwork as a mindless game.

Plus if you ever move from MA, (Anyone doing that is declared Insane automatically) you will have lots of fun with your car again. You must return the plates to MA.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:55 PM

23 posts, read 109,900 times
I moved from MA to Texas, and I miss the MA DMV. One stop shopping. The TX DOT is a joke. Have to take a week off of work to register and insure a car here. Get the friggin run around every where we go.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:30 PM

967 posts, read 4,786,120 times
You also have to get an inspection sticker on your car here in MA. (I don't know if they have that in TX. When we lived in California they didn't have those.) The inspection is pretty basic: check safety items like tires and check the emissions from your car. It's only about $20-30 to do, but you have to do it every year.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:29 PM

562 posts, read 660,145 times
$20-30 for Inspection? Man you all are getting the shaft! It's $15 here in Texas.

I figure if a state wants you to keep your car up and pass their inspections, they should inspect it for free.

Paying for inspection is just another form of tax. Just like speeding tickets - another form of tax. We spend almost half of our income we all make on taxes. What a rip off. The government is ripping all of us off, no matter where we live.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:14 PM

23 posts, read 109,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
$20-30 for Inspection? Man you all are getting the shaft! It's $15 here in Texas.

I figure if a state wants you to keep your car up and pass their inspections, they should inspect it for free.

Paying for inspection is just another form of tax. Just like speeding tickets - another form of tax. We spend almost half of our income we all make on taxes. What a rip off. The government is ripping all of us off, no matter where we live.

Where are you getting your TX inspection for $15? The cheapest I've seen is $29.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:23 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilou View Post
hello again! Does anyone how long new MA residents (coming from other states) have to register their vehicles? How about license plates? I'm guessing the new Texas stickers I just paid $70 for aren't worth a dime in MA? Oh well, it's only money... )<: Any info on this topic would be appreciated. thanks, lorilou
Hi Lori,
You are suppose to register within 30 days, but I did it after six months. No one knows how long you have lived there and if you are stopped, you are visiting or just moved there. Unless you have car insurance that covers Ma. and Texas, you have to register your vehicle first to get new car insurance which is a monopoly in Ma. Most agencies that are cheaper nationwide cannot do business in Ma. like Geiko, Mercury, Century 21. We used Amica. Registering is easy and cost less than other states and goes for two years instead of one. Guess what! We will be moving back after all! Yeah!!!!!!! We don't want to live as far out as Lincoln, but any other places you have heard or seen that you would recommend since being there? What have you guys done on the weekends since living there? I can't believe I have to start the whole process again! Refilling the Xanax as we speak.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:27 PM

124 posts, read 905,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Also know you may have to be able to prove you paid sales tax on it in the old state.
I am fairly certain this is really, really not true, unless you lived in Mass when you bought your car, but bought it out of state. But living elsewhere, and buying elsewhere, and later moving to Mass with your car would not generally subject you to having to prove you've paid your sales tax on a purchase made well before you lived here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: