Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:28 PM

32 posts, read 131,345 times

Advertisements

dontmassup,
If you enjoy solitude, does it really matter where the people you run into are from? From the way the roads work and how inaccessible NH is from VT and ME and the tone of your writing, it seems that you're generally a misanthrope and that it really has nothing to do with us Ma$$holes.

dnbnv,
if you check out the "Are people from MA rude" thread elsewhere on the MA forum (if you have quite a bit of time that is...), you'll find a good mix of both viewpoints. I suggest that you come and see and judge for yourself. I think if you polled people on both sides of the border, you'd get a similar mix...with most people quietly right smack in the middle, and vocal endpoints of the spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,028 times
"If you enjoy solitude, does it really matter where the people you run into are from?"
ya actually it does matter! I like vermont and maine. i don't like you flatlanders coming up here and thinking you run the place. like i said, if there weren't any people from mass up here clogging up our mountains i wouldn't run into anyone when seeking solitude. so stick to your city life and ghettos and stop massing up new hampshire!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:19 PM

543 posts, read 702,926 times
You can't fight the CASH. Some city slickers have money to burn and their gonna buy you out!!I used to hate the New Yorkers comin up to my hick town,now I couldn't afford a half acre of swamp in that town.But still ,when you think of it, every state was populated by people from somewhere else.And all of the northeast US was populated by NYNY or Boston.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:53 PM

605 posts, read 2,380,781 times
Troll alert....

Old 07-09-2008, 09:38 PM

104 posts, read 260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontmassupnewhampshire View Post
"If you enjoy solitude, does it really matter where the people you run into are from?"
ya actually it does matter! I like vermont and maine. i don't like you flatlanders coming up here and thinking you run the place. like i said, if there weren't any people from mass up here clogging up our mountains i wouldn't run into anyone when seeking solitude. so stick to your city life and ghettos and stop massing up new hampshire!

Wow... I'm amazed that another New Englander would feel that way about another New Englander.

Many people in Mass live exactly the same or damn close to the same way as people in NH. I might live in a very dense part of the country but lemme tell ya buddy. I dream of the day I can move to the country life of midcoast Maine. Not cause I want some solitude.... I mean join a Buddhist Monastery or something dude, but because I love the quiet life of Northern New England. But because I am a southern New Englander I understand places change, and its not always bad. The same people who cry about M*******S coming to town are the same people who want some jobs to come to town.... well news flash- jobs only go where the people are. And when I say people, I mean a good amount of relevantly educated people. Not just those willing to work and learn, unfortunately. And they're also the people who complain about their taxes- meanwhile more people and business would offset the per capita tax rates and amounts needed to bring some health and prosperity to the community.

Not to mention if Mass wasnt your neighbor you'd be a jobless empty backwater more like Mississippi even. So let's be glad that we share so much from business to history, to what I feel is a common culture- even if not completely homogenous.... I mean Amen to diversity people!

Growth doesnt have to be culturally destructive. I mean try going to your planning/zoning board meetings.... tell them what you think. Tell them you love where you're from and want it to maintain its character and history.

Tell them you think Dunkin Donuts should have to build their new store in a "Colonial" style cedar shingled building for crissakes!
And Home Depot and Walmart too.

People and business coming to town aint the sky falling.

Maybe you should move to Canada or Alaska...

and get some real solitude.

Ya know like 500 miles from the nearest somebody. Not the small distance to the nearest town like we in New England are generally used to.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:02 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Don't be amazed, ask why people that share a border would feel like that...

While many in MA live the same or close to the same, in my line of work, I talk with many people who want to move from MA to NH, for a wide variety of reasons. The most often rant I hear is that they no longer feel safe in the neighborhoods where their family has been for generations, that MA gives too much $$/benefits to those who chose not to work to better themselves, and of course that the cost of NH housing and the overall tax burden is less.

I feel that a big part of my job is to explain WHY the tax burden is lower, and WHY NH really IS different from MA. NH has traditionally been a small government state, Live Free or Die is more than just a motto on our license plates, and personal liberty is of utmost importance to uphold. I urge them to attend their town meetings, to be aware of the impact of their vote at the local, state and federal level, and not just vote for somebody because their family always voted that way.

Unfortunately, many people come here to "escape" and then decide that they really do need all the services that they left behind, and so it begins... "Where's my streetlights? It's too dark to see!" "What do you mean I need to go to the dump? I'm not putting trash into my BMW!" "No public kindergarden?? An outrage!"

Looking at our current state of our state, we've had increased spending at the state level that has resulted in a projected $200 million dollar shortfall. Did I mention that our current governor was born & raised in Waltham, MA?

So when you wonder why New Hampshire folks are not happy to discover that their new neighbors are here from Massachusetts, it's because they have a sinking feeling that yet another voter has moved to the state to change the New Hampshire way of life into what they've left behind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewNewEnglander View Post
Wow... I'm amazed that another New Englander would feel that way about another New Englander.

Many people in Mass live exactly the same or damn close to the same way as people in NH.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:51 AM

32 posts, read 131,345 times
Very well put Valerie C. Dontmassup, pay attention. that's how you provide a civil side of an argument.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:01 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
New Hampshire: Massachusetts' largest state park.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:35 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
<sigh...>
If only we could charge at the border and collect taxes on all the items that are bought tax free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
New Hampshire: Massachusetts' largest state park.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:19 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
<sigh...>
If only we could charge at the border and collect taxes on all the items that are bought tax free...
Then we will tax support for Massachusetts sports teams and watching Boston-based TV stations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts