Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 12:33 PM

16 posts, read 39,383 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are contemplating a move from So Cal.

We are looking for a liberal area to raise our youngest 3 kids (8,9,13) so good school districts are a priority. We can afford something in the neighborhood of $500,000. I am also hoping to add a friendly community so we can make friends.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (If there is a better place in New England we would be open to that too!)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 12:48 PM

12,819 posts, read 21,993,461 times
In Mass, a quick list would contain Marlboro, Sudbury, Needham, Sharon, Weston, Norwell, and many many others. All of these allow for a reasonable commute to Boston.

In Rhode Island, I'd also suggest Barrington, Warren, Bristol and Portsmouth. All coastal towns with good schools and low crime and reasonable commute to Providence.

What do you do for work? Obviously the need for some place close to your job is important so that can limit you.

If you work from home or work isn't that important, then I'd say look into the Portland, Maine area (Scarborough, Falmouth, Yarmouth, Cape Elizabeth). The schools aren't as good as they are in MA or much of RI, but they're not terrible in that area. It's beautiful and mostly liberal. It's also very safe.

I'd also recommend Middletown RI. it's on Aquidneck Island right next to beautiful Newport RI and has good schools, is very sage, and in my experience the peoples are very friendly.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:56 PM

16 posts, read 39,383 times
We work from home so no issues with commuting.

I have a friend who used to live in Maine and she said it was the worst of the worst for winters.

I know the east coast has much colder winters than I have ever experienced.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:20 PM

12,819 posts, read 21,993,461 times
^Yeah, Maine is terrible for winters, there's no denying it. The schools are not as good as they are in Southern New England, but they're not terrible either. If you don't like winters, you likely wouldn't fall in love with Maine.

East Coast winters are much colder than they are in SoCal. As far as New England goes, South Eastern MA, CT and RI are going to be much milder than the rest of the region. The places I suggested in Rhode Island tend to be a bit more manageable than even Metro Boston in terms of snowfall and the cold.

I don't know CT that well, so I can't suggest towns there, but the state has quality schools and the highest average household income in the nation so expect housing prices to reflect that (FYI, MA ranks #2 in the nation and the housing costs reflect that in Metro Boston). If you've lived in SoCal, you're probably used to hefty housing costs.

A few slightly more temperate suggestions for New England towns would be Marion MA, Mattapoisett MA, Tiverton RI, Marshfield MA and Plymouth MA. All beautiful, all good towns for schools, all friendly, and all a bit warmer than much of the rest of New England (though you shouldn't look for palm trees and tropical birds).

Old 11-12-2008, 02:06 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
My brother-in-law and family relo'd to Sherborn, MA from NJ because it's family-oriented, has lots of community orgs/events to get to know neighbors, and stellar schools. We live here too and love it. Lots of trails, recreational activities, a lovely sparkling pond for swimming & sailing, many progressive-minded folks.

I hear parts of VT are like that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts