Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 12:35 PM

24 posts, read 49,564 times

Advertisements

My husband (a US citizen), daughter and I have plans to move from The Netherlands (Holland) in Europe to a place near Boston next year. We are looking at Bedford, MA. Can somebody please tell me a bit more about this place and the area? Quality of life, work, shops, housing, commuting to Boston. I would love to get in touch with somebody who lives locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 11:26 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,802 times
Cool Bedford

bedford isn't really good for commuting into Boston, you'd have to drive every day which would be a pain especially in winter-
traffic to Alewife "T" station on route 2 can be backed up in the AM and PM coming home.

though it'd be doable you'd have to allow at least an hour just to get to the Red line and then wait maybe 15 min for a train and another 20-30 min depending on where you were going to on the subway.

A suggestion could be you could drive over to Concord from Bedford and take the commuter rail in -- that would be your best option
Commuter rail would go to Porter Square (where you can connect with the Red Line)
or go right into North Station depending on where you worked. and connect with the subway there. (orange and green lines) from North Station

Don't bother with the bus in Bedford, it takes too long

I would say if you do decide on bedford use the Concord Commuter train to porter, and north station.

Concord is a nice community as well you might check it out as well
and the train would be right there

Old 08-15-2009, 11:28 PM

Cool Try Concord on for size :-)

Bedford also doesnt have as much of a central downtown as COncord
if you're looking for a true downtown
Concord would be better option
there's all the history and historical sites in Concord, you'd be able to meet a lot of people (tourists) in the town, and also
there is a nice town square/common and shops/restaurants/cafes, etc.

I would say double check Concord first before considering Bedford.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:14 AM

24 posts, read 49,564 times
Thank you for the quick reply. We will definately look into Concord

Old 08-16-2009, 05:39 AM

Cool Con-chid

You could still live in bedford and drive to Concord and take the commtuer trai in. But COncord would be easier and has more of a downtown and more to do..
I think it'd be more to your liking. Schools are pretty good too in both communities.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:40 PM

133 posts, read 559,166 times
Bedford, has one of the highest rated school systems in the state of Massachusetts. It's a great little community.

If your looking at Bedford and now Concord check out Lexington. Its just south of Bedford and offers everything Bedford or Concord do.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:23 AM

12 posts, read 107,177 times
Bedford is about 30-45 minutes from the Alewife Train Station. I use the MBTA bus regularly and find no problem with its stretch. Bedford is an extremely historic town, with the oldest and first nationally recognized town flag. Bedford has great school systems, down-to-earth people, great shopping - Whole Foods and Stop & Shop (two food chains), TJ Maxx and Marshalls (great clothing store), and more. I always find Bedford to be so convenient as it abuts Route 2 and Route 128/I95 which intersect the boundaries of Massachusetts. Its a lovely town with great housing, a bit more affordable than Lexington/Concord, that is so down to earth and understated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts