Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 PM

44 posts, read 135,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
My issue is that, if you miss the 5:45 PM, you're stuck at South Station for almost an hour. If you miss the 6:38 PM, you're stuck in town until 8:25. If you go to the Red Sox game, you're stuck overnight.

gotcha... This could be an issue... I usually stumble out of a dozen games a year at fenway and either walk or take a cab home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
My issue is that, if you miss the 5:45 PM, you're stuck at South Station for almost an hour. If you miss the 6:38 PM, you're stuck in town until 8:25. If you go to the Red Sox game, you're stuck overnight.

How far is the ferry from there? Is that a decent means of transport into the city compared to the train?

Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,309,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
How far is the ferry from there? Is that a decent means of transport into the city compared to the train?
The ferry is great if it's convenient, which it is from Hingham or something really close to it. To drive from Scituate to Hingham, though, would probably take too long to make it workable. Both Scituate and the ferry terminal are a ways off the highway, and Route 3 is heavy traffic in the AM. You're better off taking 3A, but I think it's too slow. There are also ferries from Hull and Quincy, but those are farther from Scituate and wouldn't really work.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:34 PM

Interesting.. So Hingham has access to both the commuter rail and ferry...

Old 11-05-2009, 07:06 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,362,646 times
Yes, with the boat and train and easy access to route 3 it is easy to see why real estate holds its value.

Some other pluses: The town is very good about controlling commercial development. The Hingham Square area is a wonderful, pedestrian friendly small storefront destination. Old fashioned ice cream parlors, specialty shops, boutiques and restaurants (Tosca and Square Cafe are two perpetual "best of" winners) are set in the square which is surrounded by beautiful antique homes and the harbor. Derby Street features a well laid out, "lifestyle center" of chain stores with charming architecture and attention to detail. There is a Whole Foods located in the plaza as well. Hingham Community Center has excellent programs available for kids to adults. Everything from art classes book groups to rowing is offered. World's End as someone mentioned is a natural oasis. Wompatuck State Park is also a hidden gem. The old Hingham Shipyard was slated for high end condos and another shopping destination. I am not sure how that progressed but it is yet another tax revenue base for Hingham. It is here that the commuter boat is located (last time I checked). Schools are very highly regarded and the curriculum is rigorous from elementary school on. As I said earlier, many children go on to elite private schools and the Hingham school sytem prepares students for that. Hingham is a terrific town. If you are seriously considering, I would find a RE agent that specializes in the area. Homes do not stay on the market long and someone with the inside edge can be invaluable in your search.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
If you are seriously considering, I would find a RE agent that specializes in the area. Homes do not stay on the market long and someone with the inside edge can be invaluable in your search.
Herein lies the issue.. I think we need to look around at the different towns to get a sense of what towns we like in our price range... That's more kicking tires mode... Once we have a plan, then we have to deal with the selling our condo issue. Luckily things seem to be selling OK in Brookline, and we have a beautiful unit--its just with 2 kids, its constantly cluttered and messy... Selling is going to be a big time commitment for us...

Old 11-06-2009, 04:55 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,362,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Herein lies the issue.. I think we need to look around at the different towns to get a sense of what towns we like in our price range... That's more kicking tires mode... Once we have a plan, then we have to deal with the selling our condo issue. Luckily things seem to be selling OK in Brookline, and we have a beautiful unit--its just with 2 kids, its constantly cluttered and messy... Selling is going to be a big time commitment for us...
It's tough with kids. I started packing the year before we put our house on the market to cut our seasonal clutter. Everything went into rubbermaid boxes, stacked neatly in the basement. It made moving much easier. When my brother was selling his home in a very desirable area, realtors were clamoring for the listing. His realtor's contract paid for a housecleaning service to come in weekly to keep the house ready for showing at all times. It ended up being for naught as his was sold at Open House. Food for thought.

Kicking the tires is good. One thing I suggest to anyone who is looking to move from an area they know well to one they don't (I'm not a realtor but moved kids at a tough age) is that you go and take part in events in the towns you are interested in. A high school sporting event is a great way to watch teens in their environment. Go shopping at small local shops and speak to people who know the area. Eat lots of ice cream at little local landmarks where youths work and congregate. Craft fairs held at schools will enable you to see what goes on inside the schools as there are always projects and artwork displayed on the walls.

Again, good luck in your move. All three towns you mentioned are terrific places to raise a young family.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:09 PM

925 posts, read 2,744,433 times
I second what Beachcomber said and would add that once you narrow down your search you might want to connect with a newcomers or parents group in town like Hingham Newcomers - Photo Gallery, even before you choose the final town. These folks can provide helpful, hopefully unbiased insights about the area, and many of them in the newcomers groups have recently gone through a similar process as you.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmann-sherborn View Post
I second what Beachcomber said and would add that once you narrow down your search you might want to connect with a newcomers or parents group in town like Hingham Newcomers - Photo Gallery, even before you choose the final town. These folks can provide helpful, hopefully unbiased insights about the area, and many of them in the newcomers groups have recently gone through a similar process as you.
That's great, thanks! Will pass that along to my wife... She's heartbroken to leave the Brookline mommy group.

We're heading into Hingham, Norwell, Scituate tomorrow en route to the Cape and plan to drive around the towns to get a feel for them...

For Hingham--are their different neighborhoods / areas etc that people recommend? Like is it more desirable to be down near the shops or is everything in north Hingham considered the ghetto etc. Amazing in Massachusetts how being a few neighborhoods away can make a big difference (think Nonantum vs Waban in Newton).

Thx

Old 11-06-2009, 03:46 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,933,009 times
Don't rule out Westwood so quickly. Westwood is cheaper than Needham and Newton and much cheaper than Wellesley. My wife and I had a lower budget than you and were able to find a reasonably sized (2000 sq. ft 3bd/2ba) house in pretty good shape (you might think it a dump but we like it ;-) ) for under 500k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts