Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:14 AM

925 posts, read 2,747,278 times

Advertisements

I'd second the vote for Hingham based on its very well regarded schools, good commuting options& great little town center. I think it has a lot of character and charm compared to some other burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 AM

925 posts, read 2,747,278 times
And re: Hingham I'd also add it's home to World's End, one of the most beautiful parks in the area overlooking the ocean. You can go to
YouTube - Discover Hingham! to see some views of the town. It's a little too centered on the shops in town but it gives you some pretty glimpses of the area nonetheless.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:44 AM

406 posts, read 1,498,747 times
I'm not terribly familiar with towns in the South Shore, but I wanted to echo the recommendations of Belmont and Arlington. These are both very Brookline-y areas, inhabited by families who've been priced out of Brookline or Cambridge.

As far as living up to the expectations set by your youth, well; I too grew up in a large home, went to private schools and the country club, the whole 9 yards. But guess what...I don't WANT to live where I grew up. I could have that kind of life if I chose to by living there; but I'd rather live in the (much pricier!) greater Boston area and have access to all that it has to offer. Heck, I think my son will benefit more from our frequent trips to the Museum of Science, aquarium, and Children's Museum than he would from an extra 1000 square feet of living area. Think of it in those terms, and remember that your kids don't have this basis of comparison--just you do.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:13 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,369,338 times
Hingham is beautiful, excellent schools and great for commute. Great community programs. Nice old homes but also some ostentatious new construction (the Conservatory area comes to mind) The drawback is it is one of the most expensive towns on the south shore and your dollar will not go as far as in other areas (600k is a step up from a starter house). It's a very well heeled town and even though the public schools are top notch, many kids attend elite private schools for high school. Very white collar professional. Train station in town.

Norwell, great schools, beautiful old farming town. Great community programs. Nice mix of old and new homes. Most parts of Norwell make for an easy commute. More economically diverse than Hingham. Professionals, and blue collar business owners live side by side. Train station close. More down to earth than Hingham.

Scituate. My favorite town on the immediate south shore. Schools are very good. Economically eclectic population. Traditionally a very Irish town. Lots of hometown pride and tradition. Hard to put a handle on- not the preppy seaside town that Cohasset is but also not the rough around the edges Hull. The negative is getting to the highway. There is no easy way to get from Scituate to route 3. There is the Greenbush Line for commute to Boston though.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:45 PM

44 posts, read 135,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda View Post
I'm not terribly familiar with towns in the South Shore, but I wanted to echo the recommendations of Belmont and Arlington. These are both very Brookline-y areas, inhabited by families who've been priced out of Brookline or Cambridge.

As far as living up to the expectations set by your youth, well; I too grew up in a large home, went to private schools and the country club, the whole 9 yards. But guess what...I don't WANT to live where I grew up. I could have that kind of life if I chose to by living there; but I'd rather live in the (much pricier!) greater Boston area and have access to all that it has to offer. Heck, I think my son will benefit more from our frequent trips to the Museum of Science, aquarium, and Children's Museum than he would from an extra 1000 square feet of living area. Think of it in those terms, and remember that your kids don't have this basis of comparison--just you do.
Great advice, thanks.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Hingham is beautiful, excellent schools and great for commute. Great community programs. Nice old homes but also some ostentatious new construction (the Conservatory area comes to mind) The drawback is it is one of the most expensive towns on the south shore and your dollar will not go as far as in other areas (600k is a step up from a starter house). It's a very well heeled town and even though the public schools are top notch, many kids attend elite private schools for high school. Very white collar professional. Train station in town.

Norwell, great schools, beautiful old farming town. Great community programs. Nice mix of old and new homes. Most parts of Norwell make for an easy commute. More economically diverse than Hingham. Professionals, and blue collar business owners live side by side. Train station close. More down to earth than Hingham.

Scituate. My favorite town on the immediate south shore. Schools are very good. Economically eclectic population. Traditionally a very Irish town. Lots of hometown pride and tradition. Hard to put a handle on- not the preppy seaside town that Cohasset is but also not the rough around the edges Hull. The negative is getting to the highway. There is no easy way to get from Scituate to route 3. There is the Greenbush Line for commute to Boston though.
Thanks! That is very helpful.

BTW, I knew there was a commuter rails stop in Scituate but am unaware of the Greenbush Line until just now when you mentioned it and I read the wikipedia site on it... Any downside to being on that line vs. one of the commuter rail lines in Hingham etc?

Thx again!

Old 11-05-2009, 01:03 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,369,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Thanks! That is very helpful.

BTW, I knew there was a commuter rails stop in Scituate but am unaware of the Greenbush Line until just now when you mentioned it and I read the wikipedia site on it... Any downside to being on that line vs. one of the commuter rail lines in Hingham etc?

Thx again!

You're very welcome. I can't be of any help with the train lines. My husband's business was based out of the South Shore and my trips into Boston were social or educational with kids. We would either use the T, one of the commuter boats or drive in. My kids loved Saturday trips in town and the boat ride was part of the adventure. On that note, the commuter boats are a very enjoyable way to commute. They run out of Hingham, Hull and Quincy.

Good luck in your home search!

Old 11-05-2009, 01:04 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,318,525 times
Quote:
Any downside to being on that line vs. one of the commuter rail lines in Hingham etc?

Thx again!
It's the same line that goes to Hingham. The downside from my perspective is that it's slow (takes a long time to Scituate) and does not run anywhere near often enough. Much less than some other lines. Check the MBTA schedules out.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
It's the same line that goes to Hingham. The downside from my perspective is that it's slow (takes a long time to Scituate) and does not run anywhere near often enough. Much less than some other lines. Check the MBTA schedules out.
Typical Mass... But 5 trains before 9 am isn't too bad I suppose...

Old 11-05-2009, 04:08 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,318,525 times
Quote:
Typical Mass... But 5 trains before 9 am isn't too bad I suppose...
My issue is that, if you miss the 5:45 PM, you're stuck at South Station for almost an hour. If you miss the 6:38 PM, you're stuck in town until 8:25. If you go to the Red Sox game, you're stuck overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts