Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,522 times

Advertisements

We currently live near Seattle but my husband may be taking a job in Providence. If so, we'd like to find a town with a decent commute (45min or less) to both Providence and Boston. We'd love to be able to use public transportation for both. We're looking for a good place to raise a family: excellent schools, safe neighborhoods, parks, sidewalks, ability to walk to places in town. Something near a body of water is a plus. We estimate spending between $400K-$700K. Does any town meet all these requirements? We fall in the yuppie/hippie category and would be happiest in a town with like-minded neighbors. A town within easy driving distance of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods that also met the above criteria would probably be for us. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 01:37 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam15 View Post
We currently live near Seattle but my husband may be taking a job in Providence. If so, we'd like to find a town with a decent commute (45min or less) to both Providence and Boston....
The walkable-places-in-town thing is clearly the hot trend these days. There are places that offer this -- not a lot of places, but more than one or two. But when you add "excellent schools" to the mix you narrow the field of opportunity even further. And here's the bottom line: you're not gonna get what you want -- you're gonna have to compromise.

You can get excellent schools. You can get walkability. You can get 45 minutes to Boston or Providence. You can't get all three.

Pull out a map and look at Interstate 95 between Boston and Providence. About halfway between the two cities you will see communities like Walpole and Sharon. They have good schools and fit your geographic requirements. But they generally aren't cool-and-trendy walkable urban-like environments. Such places are generally closer to downtown Boston. What you probably want is Newton, MA. But it's not 45 minutes to Providence. And your $400-700K budget will not go very far there.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:56 PM

9,281 posts, read 14,894,337 times
Consider Barrington RI.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:07 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
It's almost like they built the commuter rail for you:MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Commuter Rail > Providence/Stoughton Line

The towns on this line are Canton, Sharon, Mansfield, Attleboro, and South Attleboro

Like professorsenator said, you aren't going to find the walkable yuppie paradise you're looking for, but I think those towns are all pretty nice.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:01 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
It's almost like they built the commuter rail for you:MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Commuter Rail > Providence/Stoughton Line
M
The towns on this line are Canton, Sharon, Mansfield, Attleboro, and South Attleboro

Like professorsenator said, you aren't going to find the walkable yuppie paradise you're looking for, but I think those towns are all pretty nice.
Was born in Attleboro 68 yrs ago, left in 1973, still have family there. any of these city's would be fine for you even North Attleboro. Don't get the wrong impression I didn't leave because I didn't like it there. But with 6 generations and all their family's there I felt smothered and wanted to see the rest of the country which i did and am still doing it now in our in our RV. Good luck on you move.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:43 PM

925 posts, read 2,742,013 times
Hmm...as far as tradeoffs, here are a few choices you could make:

Hopkinton would cover good schools, neighborhoods, parks, sidewalks, walk to town, easy access via Rt 495 to Providence (my wife used to do that drive & it wasn't bad) and access to Boston via the train across town, plenty of good housing in your price range, plus access to two lakes for swimming, boating, waterskiing, etc. On the downside? You can take the train from there to Boston but not to Providence. The downtown also isn't a bustling place. It's pretty with a town common and a few nice family owned shops but it's not filled with cafes and bookstores or anything like that, although there is talk of plans for more shops. It's about 20 minutes to the nearest Whole Foods. I would say that personality-wise it is not hippy though.

Sherborn is another terrific option. (I know, I talk about Sherborn a lot but it's because I love it far & away more than many burbs & I've lived in quite a few around here.) Anyhow, here are the pluses about Sherborn - schools are consistently ranked among the very best in the state, it's a Gold Medal School, one of the top 100 in the country, Farm Pond for swimming and sailing (no motorboats), easy access to the Mass Pike and nearby trains in Natick & Wellesley to get to Boston, not a bad ride to Providence either, TONS of open space. 50% of open space is protected by the town, and plenty of community activities for newcomers. There are beautiful trails, including some overlooking the Charles River. It's about 10 minutes from the nearest Whole Foods and you have plenty of options for community farm shares as well. We're home to the Peace Abby as well. Home prices are pretty high but there are definately nice options in your price range. The only downside is there really isn't much downtown. It's a historic town center with an inn that has jazz and there's a little ice cream place and a day spa but that's about it. When I want to go shopping I go to Wellesley, which has pretty shops & restaurants and walk along the downtown there, or if I must I'll go to the big upscale Natick Collection Mall. My wife would put herself in the hippie or progressive category and she loves it here. She hates the overrun nature of some of the other burbs around here.

Anyhow, those are two town options in my neck of the woods. I'll put my thinking cap on for other options that would fit your wish list.

Best of luck!
-K

Old 11-07-2009, 04:01 PM

One thing to consider if you end up using the Providence/Stoughton train line to go to both Boston & Providence, just be sure the timing works for you. For ex, if you're going from Canton to Providence the only morning option is at 8:54 am and if you miss it there's no other train to Providence til 11:30am. Also you might want to make sure there's a way to get from the Providence train to your office. I'm not as familiar with the train stations there but surprisingly some of the stations in the burbs around here are not in central locations. You might check with your potential employer as well. Some offer shuttles from the train stations.

Just my two cents!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:06 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmann-sherborn View Post
Sherborn is another terrific option...
To be sure, Sherborn is nice and has great schools. But it is not what the OP asked for. It is by no means walkable -- indeed, Sherborn is an excellent example of a Boston 'burb that is all about open space, huge lots/land, and a very rural, bucolic, "English countryside" feel. Medfield would be a little closer to what the OP is looking for -- it has a nice town center and some charming neighborhoods that are walkable to the town center, excellent schools, the town is close to commuter rail to Boston, and (maybe) within 45 minutes of Providence. But Medfield is no Newton -- most of the town is spread-out suburban (i.e. not walkable).

Furthermore, Sherborn is not 45 minutes or less to Providence. My guess is that Prov. would easily be an hour away from Sherborn.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:50 PM

Yes, Sherborn fulfills the needs *except* for the walkable downtown. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. It's really the one thing I don't prefer about the town. I've done the Providence drive in 45 min or so, although I should add that we're fairly close to the Medfield line. I agree that Medfield is another good option as well, a very nice town.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:18 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
I agree with professorsenator, Sherborn is nice but not even remotely walkable. I also would doubt that it would be 45 minutes to Providence under any but the best circumstances. Just getting from Sherborn to 95 or 495 is a hassle, not to mention the considerable distance to Providence.

I'd recommend living near 95 and the Providence line, take the train to Boston, and drive to Providence. Living elsewhere will increase a total commute which is already going to be pretty sizable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts