Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,803 times

Advertisements

That's why it's called

*******chusetts.

MA is a very unfriendly place.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:00 PM

17 posts, read 110,536 times
A very large portion of Massachusetts residents are not only rude, but arrogant as hell. Im from MA, and have been to a various states - and MA is just out of control - WAY OUT OF CONTROL.....

Any good suggestions on where to live? Far Far Away from here... =)

Old 06-09-2007, 10:20 AM

5 posts, read 16,727 times
yea i live in massachusetts i have my whole life, it is a very very rude place, people are crazy and dont care about anything it might have something to do witht he dense populations in cities and the way of living here. its a very crowded state, and very ethnic, and very drug infested more so than alot of places but aside from all that there are like every where else very goood people here and u may make some of the best friends u could ever have in your life.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:30 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,872 times
I think part of the problem revolves around the people that are elitist snobs. They think they are better than everyone else. I really only get this feeling in MA, other parts of the country i've been I never feel that way. It really is just a small % that give MA a bad rap though.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:29 AM

278 posts, read 1,063,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnewboo View Post
Hi Cowboy,

I am a 27-year former resident and Native of Massachusetts - and a recent transplant to the south On behalf of the "M*******s" and the rest of the New England population, I sincerely apologize for any of the attitudes and vibes you've misconstrued.

Let me explain.

Yes - people from the northeast are generally NOT friendly. It's called New England reserve. I wouldn't call it arrogance. Just a quiet reserve. It's just a cultural difference. People from the north are generally "shut in" most of the year. Days are short, Winters are long and cold. In the south, people are out more, and therefore, more social. This quiet reserve is also consistent with the puritans, who really formed Boston culture.

Education and competition is another reason Bostonians are so unfriendly. It's not a competition against each other, but a competition with one's SELF. People are just so stuck in the ratrace from the high cost of living. It drives the Boston workaholic crazy. I also feel the instilled importance of a stellar education causes a lot of stress among young students. High hopes and expectations after graduating from an elite (aka expensive) university only to graduate with $140,000 in school loans and with no means of paying them can also make a Bostonian bitter. That's why many of us moved south. Because we can't take that way of life anymore.

Hope that sheds some light on the issue. Please don't feel like the we quiet and inward northeners have anything else against the rest of the world...even though we may say we do. Our bark is usually worse than our bite. And I really feel the people of the region, though unfriendly, are some of the most genuine people in the country.

On the flip side of things, I've also met a lot of friendly hospitable southerners, who were...well, very unfriendly when I turned my back. But I don't think southerners are bad people. Just different socially from northerners
NCNew,
you have given a very good explanation. It still doesn't excuse bad behavior, though, does it? I am a recent MA transplant from the south, and I have discovered a number of things I appreciate from the region. There is definitely a combination of reserve, arrogance, over-ambition, "workaholicism", and who-knows-what-else in the mix. I am just trying to take it all in, assimilate for now, and make the most of it while I am here. But to be honest, it will probably feel good to return to an environment where people smile, share eye-contact, and BS about the weather on occasion. It gets lonely in New England.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:20 AM

80 posts, read 390,240 times
I have lived in MA my whole life and agree that there are many MA wholes but on numerous trips I also found things that I didn't like in other states.
Yes MA drivers are awful and angry drivers but on a recent visit to CO where people fly on the roadways I actually looked across to a speeding van with a child in the back and his mother or whomever it was knitting. Can you believe that??? In SF I found people friendly but also a bit haughty.
NYC believe it or not find friendly people everywhere.
VT not so friendly - NH extremely friendly.
As for myself I am friendly and thank people whether driving or crossing the street.
Just another perseptive.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:41 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,443 times
its mainly because of the driving habits we have here. the nicest people can turn into the worst road ragers in an instant like dr jekyll and mr hyde type of thing. -
in an instant. I've seen even old grandmothers get upset and curse behind the wheel..even flip a few birds here and there.
believe me the truth is most mass. people are nice, its just when you have to deal with driving around here 24-7 it can be a little trying at times.
and no one really feels like "conversation' after being stuck in traffic in a 2-3 hour backup :P

Old 08-12-2007, 04:21 PM

27 posts, read 116,468 times
People from MA are incredibly rude!!! Not to mention self centered, unfriendly, ignorant, and very pushy! I have been to many states and find most to be friendly....but not MA. I am FINALLY leaning here in a couple of weeks. It is over rated, expensive, has terrible driving conditions, road rage, natural gas leaks and home explosions everywhere you go. Oh and lets not forget the poor dogs being electricuted by live wires in the streets that the electric company can not figure out how to fix. Public transportation is smelly and filthy. There is no parking anywhere. People are too stupid to read the dont walk signs and run in front of moving cars....even with strollers and their dogs!!! The taxes, health care costs, home costs and just the cost of living in general is crazy...especially considering the quality of life is so poor. I have spent a lot of time in CA, CO, UT, AZ, NV, FL, CT, NH, RI, and others and you will find something you dislikie anywhere....but nothing as out of control and hostile as MA. At least in other states people smile, say thank, dont tell you to "F" off and run you off the road! I think a BIG reason why a lot of the people I personally know here in MA love it so much is because they are all too close minded to venture to another part of the country...God forbid something be better than their so called precious MA!!!! So them staying here.....this is all they know, and so they just go with it and think this is the way to live!

Old 08-12-2007, 08:40 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kritterz78 View Post
I am FINALLY leaning here in a couple of weeks.
I wish you happiness...

Old 08-13-2007, 05:28 AM

4 posts, read 13,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinOuttaHereMA View Post
A very large portion of Massachusetts residents are not only rude, but arrogant as hell. Im from MA, and have been to a various states - and MA is just out of control - WAY OUT OF CONTROL.....

Any good suggestions on where to live? Far Far Away from here... =)
As a native Vermonter who's lived in MA for 20+ years, my thoughts exactly. Going to Charleston, SC.

There are some things to like about this state, but I can't stand the beat up roads anymore, the liberal tax and spending, and our new governor, where the heck did he come from? He seems more useless than any governor I can remember.

As far as rudeness, you can find that anywhere. I think there are areas of MA where you can find a lot of it though, Newton, Wellesley come to mind as hotbeds of pushy rudeness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts