Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:39 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Someone already suggested it... but I'll suggest it also... stay where you're at.

I'm moving away from Massachusetts to Texas. I recently moved here a year ago, and I HATE it. The people are rude, the cost of living is outrageous, and the state is one of the most liberal I've ever lived in. You are taxed on everything you do. Excise tax on vehicles, high sales tax, town sales tax, income tax, property tax, high cigarette tax, even higher liquor tax... it gets consuming.

It was even better when 2 months after we moved, we were delivered 2 bills for 400 dollars a piece for "Vehicle excise taxes", even though we had only lived for 2 months here.

If I don't give flipped off at least once a day on 495, then it's a bad day.

There's not much cultural influence here either. If you're looking for other foods besides Chowdah and standard American fare, you will be disappointed. I can count the "decent" Mexican restaurants on one hand. There's a Brazilian steakhouse, but it's a joke also.

What about the weather? Well, it's been mid 20's for the last week, below zero last weekend. Off and on snow. Your car will sit covered in salt and sand for 3 months out of the year.

Ridiculously expensive child care... we were quoted 1400/mo for two children at multiple locations. Looking to buy a house? Expect 300K+ for anything decent. Looking to rent an apartment? I pay 1675 for a 2 bedroom tiny apartment, with nothing included.

If you're deadset on Massachusetts, I hope you enjoy it... I know I don't.
It is a wonderful place to live. , it's a different set of circumstances, you won't find a decent mexican restuarant, b/c we don't eat mexican food. I wouldn't go to Texas expecting to find a decent fish & chips.
It almost sounds as if you did't do any research before you moved. No one on Mass is "liberal", you people just throw that term out. We believe in the constitution, individualism and community, so that means yes each person has a responsibilty to themselves and each other, and the government (of the people) exists as a means to those ends. We do have the best educational system in the nation, and ranked among the best of the world. You are guarenteed certain provisions here that you will never find in Texas. This state and its people care deeply for each other.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-28-2010 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: rude. personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 12:20 PM

5 posts, read 8,955 times
As a previous poster mentioned, Brookline would put you very close to many world class medical facilities, but it is probably way more expensive than you're looking for. There are hospitals in Burlington, Peabody and Beverly - all along the Rt 128 belt. I'm not familiar enough with the I-495 towns to offer any recommendations. We live in Burlington and love it. Reasonably affordable (compared to many other towns!), good schools, somewhat lower taxes. Also, there are a lot of IT companies both in Burlington and along Rt. 128 (Waltham, etc).

Good luck with your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts