Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 06:55 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Here's what else I yearn for: doing something - ANYTHING! - that does not involve organized/formal "get-togethers" or paying money for anything to happen. My brain still cannot process why my kids cannot get in any sort of contact with other kids without us paying cash for it.

That being said, I DO understand that this is the world we've come to live in and we will certainly check out some of the places and activities you recommended. We don't want many, I think one at a time is enough - as we are less than enthusiastic about frantically driving kids from one organized activity to another to the detriment of family time and free play.

Syracusa, welcome to MA! Glad you made it. You can have all that, it's just at this stage of your children's lives, you are going to have to facilitate it. As they get older, they will take the lead and start to make plans and then often times, you will be told of them at a most inconvenient time.

Some free things to do where you can meet other families:

Winter:
ice skating- ponds, bogs, golf courses all free
sledding- once you have some snow, look for the best hills in town- great place to meet active families

Spring:
playgrounds (perfect too on an unseasonably warm winter day)
bike paths
local ponds to feed the ducks, watch the herring run

You will meet many like minded people once you get out there and start doing things. The local library was an excellent suggestion. Most also offer free or reduced rate passes for many attractions in Boston. I'm not sure if the Boston Parents Paper is still in print but it was a great resource for free activities going on all over the Boston area. Friday nights used to be $1 at the Boston Children's Museum. While it's not free, it was always a cheap way to spend a cold Friday night among lots of other kids and parents who were looking for a constructive social outlet for their kids and themselves.

In regard to mean kids. Yes, they are everywhere. It would be nice if we could put our kids in a bubble and protect them from it wouldn't it? The best you can do it teach your kids how to deal with people like that and teach them to treat others as they would like to be treated. It's a long road but it works. Eventually, you will be rewarded and your kids will have a circle of friends who have learned similar values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 AM

227 posts, read 608,291 times
Not free, but it looks pretty cool (I'm sorry, but I don't recall the ages of your children)
Toddler Enrichment classes in Boston, Jamaica Plain, MA

Old 02-06-2010, 08:25 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Syracusa, welcome to MA! Glad you made it. You can have all that, it's just at this stage of your children's lives, you are going to have to facilitate it. As they get older, they will take the lead and start to make plans and then often times, you will be told of them at a most inconvenient time.

Some free things to do where you can meet other families:

Winter:
ice skating- ponds, bogs, golf courses all free
sledding- once you have some snow, look for the best hills in town- great place to meet active families

Spring:
playgrounds (perfect too on an unseasonably warm winter day)
bike paths
local ponds to feed the ducks, watch the herring run

You will meet many like minded people once you get out there and start doing things. The local library was an excellent suggestion. Most also offer free or reduced rate passes for many attractions in Boston. I'm not sure if the Boston Parents Paper is still in print but it was a great resource for free activities going on all over the Boston area. Friday nights used to be $1 at the Boston Children's Museum. While it's not free, it was always a cheap way to spend a cold Friday night among lots of other kids and parents who were looking for a constructive social outlet for their kids and themselves.

In regard to mean kids. Yes, they are everywhere. It would be nice if we could put our kids in a bubble and protect them from it wouldn't it? The best you can do it teach your kids how to deal with people like that and teach them to treat others as they would like to be treated. It's a long road but it works. Eventually, you will be rewarded and your kids will have a circle of friends who have learned similar values.
Thanks so much, Beachcomber!

We have passed by the Wakefield lake today and have seen a few people from a distance ice-skating there, it looks like fun - though none of us have ever ice-skated before and I think my ankles would get the best out of me if I ever tried anything like that. What to say of my terribly un-coordinated 4 yo boy! :-)
We LOVE downtown Wakefield (major European small town / home feel) and it's not hard to get to from Lynnfield. Just plain cute.

As for getting to know people beyond the "chatting niceties at the local playground" stage - I so much wish there was a shortcut to all that because that stage never seems to take anywhere further. I am not saying I have done a lot of this in MA yet; after all, we have only been here 1 month drowning in relo boxes. I am just saying I have done a lot of that before when we used to live in Atlanta and none of that kind of interaction EVER led to anything more.

Our best friends in Atlanta were mainly from my Eastern European community and we had started our relationship through some very unusual and personal circumstances: one couple we met in the hospital when they had their son at literally the same moment we had ours; the nurse put us in touch while we were in labor as she realized we were both from the same country. Our boys - born a few minutes apart - had become little best friends, and then "snap", we had to go.
The other was another couple from my home country whom I met because we shared the same profession, so my friend and I ended up teaching at the same university. We had a few other good friends (not "best", but good) whom we met through work. Another one was our former nanny, still from my homecountry, who became a dear friend too!
My husband himself had a "best friend" who he grew up with. The rest were acquaintances.
That's it.

All other "chatties" we had started in public places or through organized activities never led to anything in 11 years. Should I be optimistic here?

Either way, I have read so many great posts on this forum (the MA one) that I keep thinking that 'the kind of people I could surely become real friends with one day MUST be somewhere in MA'. At the same time, when you leave the cyber world and you get out there, in the real one, it sure feel's like Huxley's world. There are lots of invisible walls our contemporaries surround themselves with. And this is not just in my head. It's out there.

I should also add that there are clearly differences between regions and MA is surely not the worst to be in as far as likelihood of encountering likeminded people. When I visit the MA forum and read the posts by locals, I get an overall good feeling. Change the link to the "Parenting" forum on City-Data (all states), and I want to run screaming in the night.

Thanks again for all your recommendations, we'll start working at it but we decided to stick with the school for now, as the thought of moving this little boy AGAIN after a semester here, drives me up the holy wall.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:26 AM

227 posts, read 608,291 times
May I ask what country you are from? You have alluded to it many times on the forums but never named which one. It may help us help you get connected!

Ice Skating is fun. If you're not up to it yourself, I'm sure your 4 year old would love to try it! He can always hold on to the back of a chair and skooch around. Also, I believe I was 4 when my parents first strapped cross country skis to my feet and showed me how to walk in them. Kids learn faster than adults and are much more resilient. Get out there and give it a try!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,368 times
Your post pulled up when I was inquiring about preschool in Lynnfield. My daughter will be starting in September at the local preschool. As for the community..I live in a great neighborhood here and people have block parties and get togethers all the time - free. The kids are out riding bikes, playing ball or having a lemonade stand. So as for the lack of community...this side of town has tons of it! I have another older child as well and you really make connections when they get older outside of your own neighborhood because at the school there is so much for various activities and/or fun occasions to see your child and meet other parents. If you volunteer you will meet a ton of people and of course - don't be shy. I moved here when my older child was starting grade school and I reached out to people. If you wait for someone to make the first move and set the first play date you may be waiting forever. If you see the same people around or have a nice conversation at a playground take it to the next level and invite the mom and child over for a cup of coffee/playdate - I highly doubt you would be turned down. For the most part I haven't been yet. My advice - don't wait for things to happen make them happen. You seem pretty nice and overall I think you made a HUGE...GIGANTIC transition and you'll get through it...just takes some time.

Good luck, maybe i'll see you around town!

Old 04-30-2010, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,559 times
Default T-Ball in Lynnfield

Hi- One of you mentioned T-Ball. Can you tell me how to get information about T-Ball in Lynnfield? I haven't been able to find anything. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Probably too late to sign up for this Spring...

Lynnfield Little League

Old 05-02-2010, 11:15 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
What a confusing thread. Traditionally, pre-school didn't exist. Thousands of years have proven..huh? Thousands of years ago, there was no such thing as pre-school, or nursery school, or kindergarten. Thousands of years ago, kids were raised and taught primarily by their families and not farmed out to strangers to take care of.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,559 times
Default T-Ball in Lynnfield

Thanks, gf2020, that's really helpful.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:13 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,237 times
Thumbs up Thanks for posting! Something to think about....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
What a confusing thread. Traditionally, pre-school didn't exist. Thousands of years have proven..huh? Thousands of years ago, there was no such thing as pre-school, or nursery school, or kindergarten. Thousands of years ago, kids were raised and taught primarily by their families and not farmed out to strangers to take care of.

This has definitely been an interesting thread. Some of the things I read

seem a bit sad, things the OP listed happening so early on

This also seems to be a reflection of our current society, sad but true!

So, I tend to agree with the above post!! It is a lot to think about!!

Is there anything we can all do to change things? Because this does not just

affect people with children, but all of us!!

By the way, I appreciate that the posters have kept things civilized! I

have read other state forums, where if you say anything negative about their

state, and all of the forum members jump all over the OP!

So, KUDOS to the MASS people for keeping it civilized! You

also have a COOL MOD!!!CASEY B!

I hope the OP comes back, and gives us an update on her current situation

Take care!

Country

Last edited by countrylv22; 05-17-2010 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Peace & Blessings to ALL!Being NICE starts at HOME!!Then we can spread it around to others!:)GREAT input from ALL!:)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts