Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 9,593 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was accepted into the Master's programs for Higher Education Administration at UMass Amherst and Boston College. Though I am thrilled about both prospects, making the final decision has not been easy. At UMass, there is a good chance that I will leave with no debt/come out with more money than I went in with; with BC, I will leave with debt. The benefit of notoriety at Boston College is hard to deny, but is it worth it to accumulate debt?

Any personal anecdotes concerning ANY graduate program at either of these instituions would be great appreciated. Also, any information on housing/cost of living within close proximity of either of these campuses would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 01:40 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,652,723 times
Where did you go for your undergrad? I would try not to go to the same school that you did your undergrad at. Also, are you planning on working in the Boston area? BC might be a benefit for you there, but if your just trying to get a job anywhere in New England it probably doesn't matter as much.

My personal opinion is go with the one that doesn't give you any debt. If BC isn't going to give you a good deal then go to UMass. Stay out of debt and you should be able to get a job. Most places will be looking at the fact you have a master's degree, not where you got it from (unless it is a joke of a school)...but in this case UMass is more than fine. UMass will also be cheaper to rent instead of renting close to Boston which will just add to your expenses.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:10 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,179,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyouwishfor View Post
At UMass, there is a good chance that I will leave with no debt/come out with more money than I went in with; with BC, I will leave with debt. The benefit of notoriety at Boston College is hard to deny, but is it worth it to accumulate debt?
Not for an education administration degree. Go to UMass and save your money.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 9,593 times
I got my Bachelor's degree in New York State, so with either school I would not be attending where I went for undergraduate.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:47 AM

406 posts, read 1,497,313 times
I can't speak for these programs or even for Ed Admin in general, but I will say that I accumulated all kinds of debt in grad school and I don't recommend it if it can be avoided. Yes, BC is a good school, but you'll get jobs not from your alma mater but from the connections you make while in school. Just make the most of your program and you'll be in a great spot--no need to pay a "second mortgage" like I do each month. Seriously, it wears on you.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyouwishfor View Post

The benefit of notoriety at Boston College is hard to deny...

BC would like you to think that. However, as mentioned above, for an education degree it will make no difference whatsoever. Go to UMass.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:20 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
"The benefit of notoriety"

Notoriety indeed. I thought notoriety referred to catching attention for nefarious and negative reasons, in which case BC is certainly notorious in the Boston area for extreme expense. Seems like the Irish-descended people just hold this school is awe.
Certainly not worth the huge debt involved when likely all you get for the money is some minor status in some few places in the world.
Go to the state school, without question.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:03 AM

160 posts, read 571,986 times
When I went to UMASS, UMASS Amherst was ranked higher than BC. I was faced with the same decision for undergrad. I chose UMASS and had an excellent education with no debt after - which vastly improved the quality of my life for years after. I also really enjoyed the campus, Amherst has a quaint downtown. It is beautiful there - a great way to spend a few years.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:15 PM

46 posts, read 114,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Not for an education administration degree. Go to UMass and save your money.
I concur. Save your money.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:50 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
I'd hate to change the tide here but....there are public institutions cheaper than umass Amherst
School of Graduate Studies : School of Graduate Studies : Bridgewater State College
Student Accounts : Student Accounts : Bridgewater State College
UMass Amherst - 2009/10 Graduate School Bulletin: Tuition & Fees
4K vs nearly 11K
But I'm not sure what part of higher education you are entering.

I agree though that if you don't have to incur more debt then don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts