Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,709 times

Advertisements

How much would one need to live "comfy" in Maui? I currently live in Orange County, California.. My house here in Cali is almost paid for which I could fetch 1k a month positive in rent. The offer I got is 90k yr. is this enough?

I would need a house to rent or buy as I have a truck and a 24ft fishing boat. I spend all my free time fishing and the thought of fishing Hawaii on my own boat, logic -vs- addiction takes over. I dont want to dig into my savings on a monthly basis.. could I get away with a family of 3 kids, wife, dog and a bad fishing habit on 90k?

Thanks for your help

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 05:23 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
There's a ton of pro and con info here if you use the "search" tab at the top right of the page. In addition, having lived on Maui for 10 years, I'd say $90K is adequate if you were on your own, and possibly without the boat. It's not just the money, though, but the 3 children. Depending upon their ages, you'd really need to study up on the public (and private $$$$) school system, where you'd need to live to have them properly educated, and whether the rents in that area are affordable for you.

As for the boat, there are very limited public ramps and [from what I hear] decades-long waiting lists for moorage and/or slips. In addition to the extravagant fuel costs here (typically at least $1/gal above mainland), boating is a very expensive proposition here.

I never like to sound negative, but given your post and the lack of "all-things-being-equal" research about Maui v. OC, the first three things I'd look into are 1) the school system, 2) rents/housing costs in the areas with the best schools, and 3) the viability of bringing, operating, and storing a 24' boat.

Best of luck.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:50 AM

406 posts, read 865,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
There's a ton of pro and con info here if you use the "search" tab at the top right of the page. In addition, having lived on Maui for 10 years, I'd say $90K is adequate if you were on your own, and possibly without the boat. It's not just the money, though, but the 3 children. Depending upon their ages, you'd really need to study up on the public (and private $$$$) school system, where you'd need to live to have them properly educated, and whether the rents in that area are affordable for you.

As for the boat, there are very limited public ramps and [from what I hear] decades-long waiting lists for moorage and/or slips. In addition to the extravagant fuel costs here (typically at least $1/gal above mainland), boating is a very expensive proposition here.

I never like to sound negative, but given your post and the lack of "all-things-being-equal" research about Maui v. OC, the first three things I'd look into are 1) the school system, 2) rents/housing costs in the areas with the best schools, and 3) the viability of bringing, operating, and storing a 24' boat.

Best of luck.
From Hawaiian Laws - Top Five Silliest - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com :

Number 1
Quote:
All residents may be fined as a result of not owning a boat. I can think of many men who have a good reason now for moving to Hawaii. I can hear it now, "Hey honey, I just found out, it's against the law NOT to own a boat."
Have all y'all got your boats?

Mickey

Old 07-30-2012, 12:38 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Question ???????

'All y'all'???

Old 07-30-2012, 08:21 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
'All y'all'???
Common expression in Florida and probably elsewhere as well.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:33 PM

406 posts, read 865,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale
'All y'all'??
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Common expression in Florida and probably elsewhere as well.
It's a southern expression meaning "everyone".
For more than y'all ever wanted to know about it:
all y'all - Wiktionary
Y'all - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How to Use Y'all Correctly - Southern Slang
Southern Slang Dictionary: A-F
Redneck Slang Words

Mickey (who is not from the south, but has roots in southern Ohio where you hear most of the above on a daily basis from people in all walks of life - and I picked it up naturally from my dad)

Old 08-08-2012, 01:27 PM

10 posts, read 37,616 times
I agree that 90K would be fine for you alone, but to support another 3 bodies on that would be tough I think. Does your wife plan to work? I also agree that MUCH research needs to be done on the school systems.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:34 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Y'all is one person, All Y'all is everyone. Southern and Texas speak. LOL

Old 08-08-2012, 04:57 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Here's the link to one of the threads on ratings of Hawaii schools.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Y'all is one person, All Y'all is everyone. Southern and Texas speak. LOL
No, "y'all" is for multiple people and "all y'all" is for a big group or emphasizing that you mean all of them.

"Y'all" is used exactly like"you all" or "you guys" in some parts of the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui