Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 AM

27 posts, read 67,885 times

Advertisements

A while ago I decided to move from Alaska I needed more sunshine in my life; I was offered jobs in Maui and in Sarasota, Florida after much research I chose to move to Sarasota. I have been here for two years now and am not loving it. I find myself still dreaming of moving to Hawaii, every so often I shoot my resume out and figure if it is meant to be it will be.

No after several skype interviews I am in the final stages of securing a pretty awesome job there! If my references check out the position is mine. I am in shock and can't believe this might work out! I have secured a salary in the mid 60's along with health insurance and have been told if I can be there in the next couple of weeks they will pay for all of my moving expenses!!!

I am looking for some advice on making the transition and where to settle. A little about myself...I am a single mother of an amazing 15 year old daughter. I am not naive I know the cost of living is much higher there however I am used to living in high cost areas. I also am aware that the education system is not ideal but really it is not that great here. I my daughter loves the outdoors and is on the rowing team here. I am a big yogi and love the sunshine and water. I am willing to make some sacrifices and understand that along with this move comes some lifestyle changes. My office will be in the area of the Hyatt Regency so I am looking to live somewhere in that area. My employers recommended living in Napili said it is a nice family area and I could find an apartment or condo to start with there.

I am having a hard time finding many options on Craigslist does anyone have any recommendations on where to live or apartment complexes in that area. I thought about getting a vacation rental for a month while I find something but those seem to be extremely expensive. I could also look in the Lahaina area as that my daughter will be going to school there. They will pay to ship my car and my motorcycle. I also am trying to decide if I should sell my motorcycle or bring it, I know everyone rides scooters is there a motorcycle community there? I drive Harley sportster.

When I moved to Florida I planned for months and had a lot more savings I rented a vacation rental annually so it was ready to go when I got here. That worked out perfect; this move is coming a lot faster and really unexpected.

This is my dream I feel like the universe is coming together to make this possible. I am so excited.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 07:56 AM

18,410 posts, read 19,061,181 times
rent a vacation rental even though it is expensive, that way you can see your choices of places to live in person. overall napili is nice but depending on your budget there are places you would not want to stay long term. same thing in lahaina. a vacation rental is the smart way to go about it. napaili rains more and if you want more sunshine stay lahaina

Old 04-14-2013, 01:35 PM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times
Bite the bullet and spend the money for the vacation rental.

A couple of issues:

Landlords do not like to rent to people who have not seen the unit and met the landlord face to face.

You've got a teenager. There are people you don't want your teenager to associate with, and you sure don't want to sign a lease for a place and then find put that the building rents to Section 8 or there are bad types living close by. It's one thing for you to tough out a bad lease, but is another to have a teen living there for the year that the lease runs.

Good places go really fast. By the time you send applications and fee back and forth, that good place will be long gone.

Get the vacation house, take your time to look at the surrounding neighborhoods to see where you want to live. Have a fighting chance to get there early enough to secure one of the good rentals. have a job and not a job offer to assure the landlord you can pay the rent.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:04 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,900,723 times
I agree completely with the other posters about taking the vacation rental for a month or so. Try to negotiate a discount with the owner, but don't make a long term commitment until you've come over and checked things out in person.

Napili is nice. We have friends who live there. It does rain a bit more but it is also cooler, and I guarantee you will feel faint when you get your first electric bill, so cooler counts. Houses and condos tend to be smaller than east-coasters expect, too. School for your daughter is a very serious issue; there are options but they are expensive and not always convenient. 15 is a very impressionable age and you will want as many good impressions as possible for her, academically and socially.

We live in Ka'anapali near the Hyatt, been here 12 years. There are several condo rental options in this neighborhood as well, but they are likely more expensive than Napili. It seems many vacation rental owners are looking for longer term tenants these days, so you could get lucky once you're here.

I would recommend a pre-move visit, but that doesn't seem like it's in your plan. As you will know if you've searched other threads here, you'll know that visiting and living here are different beasts that require different skills. Your first year will be very revealing, so I wouldn't plan on being too settled until you've got the lay of the land, understand the culture, and find your place here. It's a great adventure.

Best of luck.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,687,529 times
Check www.vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner)

Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 PM

27 posts, read 67,885 times
What a crazy month its official!! We are flying out May 4th and I start work May 6th. I have accepted a position and because I was willing to come asap they are willing to assist with part of the move. Today they purchased our plane tickets and they are arranging for us to stay in a condo for a month or so while we get our feet on the ground! My job will be challenging this is going to be an interesting experience. But its a good career oppurtunity and comes with a nice raise to support the cost of living increase. Also health insurance for my daughter who does not have that here. This has been crazy they wanted me there in a week but I told them I needed two, I had to give notice to my employer and my landlord I am trying to sell my car and motorcycle because I just don't know if its worth it to ship it. The issue is not so longer where to stay when I get there it is what to do when I am there. My daughter is a freshman and will finish the year at Lahainaluna High school. It seems silly to enroll her for a few weeks but Florida will not give her the credit unless she does I have been talking to the schools and might call the district office here.

I have a 2003 Camry with 149,000 miles on it, its a great car but it is getting old to ship it will cost about $2,100 do you think its better to sell it for $4,000or so and buy a new one there or ship it. I would buy used I have no interest in car payments

Also any recommendations of condos or apartments in good areas? I will be working close to the Hyatt, I am looking for a yoga studio, I love farmers markets, I have a 15 year old daughter it would be nice if she could take the bus or walk to places from where we lived. I usually rent small houses but I have been thinking of a condo so there would be a pool.....

I know that living in Hawaii is different than vacationing, I lived there when I was young and have spent a fair amount of time on the Big Island; I also have a few friends through out the Islands there seems to be a connection between Alaska and Hawaii........we don't fit anywhere else <3

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. My daughter love the ocean, animals and does crew here I am hoping I can get her into the rowing there.

Thanks!!!!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,900,723 times
Having a place for a month will definitely help you get organized. Too bad about your daughter's school year -- that's a hard time to change schools.

The car is a toss-up. Usually there are plenty of used cars for sale on-island, but with the salt air and so-so roads you might want an independent inspection before you buy. Or you might want to lease. We hardly put any miles on our car here compared to the mainland.

Plenty of yoga studios and private instructors/groups. The Hyatt has a beautiful gym if you have access to that.

I think you'll have an easier time finding a rental condo once you get here and find your way around a bit. There is a LOT of good advice on the forum about what to look for and what to do (and what not to do). Not all condos have pools, BTW, although unlike Oahu, most on Maui have "free" parking. Do not sign a lease until you have looked at the property in person.

There are condos in Ka'anapali near the Hyatt at Maui Eldorado, Ka'anapali Royal, The Masters, and a few others where there is a mix of full-time residents and vacation owners/renters. These are closer to Lahainatown and Lahainaluna HS, but they will be more expensive than the ones in the Kahana/Napili area, where more residents (than vacation renters) live.

Best of luck.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:53 AM

406 posts, read 867,233 times
Just wanted to say congratulations on the job and move. Keep us updated after the move.

Mickey

Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM

115 posts, read 228,019 times
Thanks so much for sharing your info!!
My husband just applied for a job for the electric company today.
I'm in between excitement and nervousness.
What did you decide about your car?
I have two kids, but I homeschool. And I have a masters in English and have taught part-time at California state and community colleges. So I'm thinking perhaps later, I can find a part-time teaching position.
But if my husband gets the position, we're moving! We are quite unhappy living in Souther CA...way too over-crowded, very poor air quality.
Glad to get the information about moving to a vacation rental first.
Hope you are happy with your move!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:11 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,282,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halapena View Post
A while ago I decided to move from Alaska I needed more sunshine in my life; I was offered jobs in Maui and in Sarasota, Florida after much research I chose to move to Sarasota. I have been here for two years now and am not loving it.
Congratulations on your move! After living in Alaska, I'm sure you know about the high cost of living there. Florida is one of the cheaper places to live, so it might be a big shock.

I've been researching Maui, the Big Island, Orange County California, and the Sarasota area for retirement in 6 years. I'm curious. What did you not like about Sarasota?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: