Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:57 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,152,750 times

Advertisements

Although at first I was really excited because who wouldn't want to live in Hawaii, right?? Well after researching it I am now leary and scared. I have two boys, one is 14 and the other 10. They both love sports especially baseball and have played since they were 4. I am wondering where we would live, what is there to do and would my boys be able to play baseball there? How are the schools? I read one post that said that the education was terrible and most kids were in private schools. My boys are very social and I am not sure if they would adapt to this culture with less to do although I know for sure that they would love the sunshine along with surfing, snorkling etc. Please let me know what you think so that we can make a decision. If it was just my husband and I then I would go for it but I am concerned with kids...

Please help!!

sincerely,
Raelyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 02:55 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,522,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Although at first I was really excited because who wouldn't want to live in Hawaii, right?? Well after researching it I am now leary and scared. I have two boys, one is 14 and the other 10. They both love sports especially baseball and have played since they were 4. I am wondering where we would live, what is there to do and would my boys be able to play baseball there? How are the schools? I read one post that said that the education was terrible and most kids were in private schools. My boys are very social and I am not sure if they would adapt to this culture with less to do although I know for sure that they would love the sunshine along with surfing, snorkling etc. Please let me know what you think so that we can make a decision. If it was just my husband and I then I would go for it but I am concerned with kids...

Please help!!

sincerely,
Raelyn
Step 1. Visit the island (We have visited many times)

"Most" kids don't attend private schools. There are some good schools and bad schools. Your goal as a parent is to live where your kids will go to the "good schools" and involve yourself in their education. This is what we are doing.
Go to the schools websites and start to familiarize yourself with the individual schools.
Your kids will adapt. Mine are totally looking forward to our move this June. Did you know Hawaii is a perennial favorite in the Little League World Series?

Go here, sort by island and school type/grade. Then, go the school website. Many have all kinds of details for the parent and student.

Hawaii School Listings

Old 04-18-2009, 04:54 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,899,856 times
I -- generally -- agree. A great deal of how kids do in school depends upon how involved parents are in the whole education spectrum. [I would hasten to say that 1) I do not have/have never had children in the education system, and 2) none of Hawaii's public education system is well-regarded, so that *also* depends on where you're coming from, what you expect from your kids, and how disciplined you are at inspiring them to achieve and they are at learning.]

Where to live is a question that has many variables: access to work, access to good schools, and a access to a community that reflects/reinforces your values. Maui is quite small and the various types of "communities" within it are even smaller. Virtually every population center has its own personality, preferences, and potential.

Depending upon where you're from and what your expectations are, you may well be surprised. I would not discourage anyone from moving here unless they have done no research, have no job, and have no image of how they can benefit the rest of Maui.

Best of luck.

Last edited by whynot?; 04-18-2009 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: changed punctuation

Old 04-19-2009, 02:26 AM

227 posts, read 919,817 times
As far as sports is concerned it is very big here, my girls play soccer and comparing it to Los Angeles where we moved from last year it is much more advanced. I am pretty sure it is the same for baseball after all last years Little League World Series champs come from here. So that alone should give you some insight on the level of competition.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:19 PM

28 posts, read 67,172 times
...your kids have a chance to dig their roots into Hawaii. What's there to lose?

Old 04-22-2009, 11:18 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,152,750 times
Well unfortunately my husband goofed and it is the big Island of Honolulu with a possible relocation instead of Maui. Oh well I got to dream of paradise for a few days. Anyway now we are not sure of where his job will take us. It could be Olkahoma, California or Texas. I am just taking one day at a time. Finding a job is tough, as soon as one comes available someone takes it. Thanks everyone for the great advise.

Raelyn

Old 04-23-2009, 12:02 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,408,915 times
Ah, well the "big island" and where Honolulu is are 2 different places. Assuming you mean Oahu, best wishes and enjoy your time in Hawaii if you do get to move here!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,522,920 times
Quote:
Well unfortunately my husband goofed and it is the big Island of Honolulu with a possible relocation instead of Maui. Oh well I got to dream of paradise for a few days. ....
In any event, Big Island, Honolulu and Maui ARE all Hawaii. Sure, you actually have 3 different islands mentioned.... but, it is still Hawaii. Each area has unique advantages to offer you and there are people that can argue that any one of those 3 are paradise over the others.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:26 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,131,947 times
You will not be able to make a decision until you visit. Vist the schools!! Make an appointment now with 5 to 7 schools. And then make your decision. Additionally, sit in on some classrooms. attend parent/teachers meetings. In one week you should be able to make up your mind as much as you will be able to entering the unknown!!

cheers!

Quote:

Please help!!

sincerely,
Raelyn

Old 04-23-2009, 10:31 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,707,742 times
If he has a job in Texas, and you like the area, go for it! Maui, etc., the best of the pay check goes to living! Also, a vacation is just that, to live there, is very different, and real costly! Also Paradise, is not
always that. It may be for the best, for now! The tv show the Nanny, last year had a show with her visit to the Island! Two people, some kids, and
they had a real tiny place! They both thought wonderfull, but, they do need out! The cost is super high! I do think they did rent, because to buy, is crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: